Gearbox shifts hard 1-2 when cold

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Hello everyone,

My new GT is very hard to shift into first and especially second gear when cold. After everything is warmed up, the gearbox shifts fairly well.

I have reviewed the workshop manual and understand the function of the shifter cables. Before I attempt to adjust anything, I was curious if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Thanks, Jay

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
This is not an uncommon problem, especially the 1-2 shift. There was a thread discussing this awhile back. You might do a search and try to find it.

phoenix

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2005
Cartersville, Georgia
Cold Shift

My GT is stiff to shift when cold into 1st and 2nd as well - this is not uncommon in a lot of cars - I just let it warm up and shift slow until then - don't think you have a problem

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have to use 2 hands to shift into reverse because the gate spring is so strong but it shifts fine otherwise.

JAM-GT

GT Owner
Sep 29, 2005
hard shifting

I've got the same problem too. First to second takes a firm grip and it takes 2 hands to shift into reverse during the first 15 minutes of driving. I've read that it has to do with the relatively high viscocity of the transmission fluid. That would certainly go along with the improvement with increased temperature.

VIN1591

GT Owner
Oct 27, 2005
Easton, MA
Two hands to shift into reverse is how Ford describes the process in their video.

I have the 1st to 2nd problem when cold -- I just bypass 2nd and shift to 3rd until things heat up. It probably takes a good 15-30 minutes though and the 1st to 2nd shift is always a little tentative.

I have an appontment setup on 12/13 to have the Ford Regional Service Rep. look at the car and this is one of the issues I'll be addressing. I'll keep the board posted on what I find out.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Same

I to did have the 1-2 slight grind. What I do now, is shift very slowly, and also mesh with the throttle more carefully, and it will shift with out the grind or clunk.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
shifting

My god, (new) boys ! That was extensively discussed. Use the search function, and read the old posts, as Chris is recommending.... :rofl

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
shifting

I think this problem cures itself over time.When I drove mine off the showroom floor I could barely get it in gear at all.It has improved until now,with 1500 mi,it shifts much more easily.Everything is very well set up as far as the shifter goes.The gates are aligned perfectly.If the car was mine I'd let it break in a little before even thinking about adjusting the cables.
Guy

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
same here guy
was stiff and touchy at first, but in time and with knowledge of the car now, it shifts better than any 6 speed setups i have driven
let it break in and you will love it

sam
#1451--red/white

Last edited:

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
My advice is to give it some time and mileage before adjusting anything.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Shifting 6 speed gearboxes

SLF360 said:
My god, (new) boys ! That was extensively discussed. Use the search function, and read the old posts, as Chris is recommending.... :rofl

Hello SLF360,

I did perform an exhaustive search and came up with nothing. It's possible that my user preferences are not setup correctly.

I guess that I'm use to my 2000 NSX, as it shifts very well all of the time.

Thanks all, Jay

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
It's improving slowly

To guywwagner, samthejeepman and saber,

After about 500 miles things are slowly improving. Double clutching from first to second will sometimes help this also.

Centerpunch, thanks for the link.

Now I know why Ford used the NSX as it's reference for the gearbox shiftability.

Many thanks all,

Jay

Last edited:

drive4fun

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2005
I have had fun driving a lot of great exotics--from McClaren F1 to Enzo to Carrera GT to Murcielago; and nothing can match the sweet tranny/linkage ---or build quality--of an NSX.

I too have the stiff 1-2 shift on the GT, but with the dry sump, the car requires a good 5 min warmup before driving. Doing this religiously seems to help, as does a bit of mileage.

2005gt

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Mine is very hard to shift when it's cold (like when I start it in 50 degree weather...anytway that's cold to me). Even after driving for about 1/2 mile, it's still impossible to put into 1st until the car is completely stopped. I don't know the exact cause, but I don't believe it's a problem. My brother's 2004 Ferrari behaves exactly the same way.

My Ford dealer's owner told me it's normal (the tech and the owner there are absolute experts on the GT...the owner is a good friend of mine). The owner advised me that I should not try to shift it when it's difficult ("don't force it") because it could damage the synchros. I have no idea what the sychros are, but I just take their word for it. Once warmed up, after about 3 miles or so, it shifts silk smooth every time.

After almost 13,000 miles I have noticed no difference in the shift behavior. The only thing I've noticed after the break-in period is slightly better mileage, and maybe a little better performance. Why I am checking my mileage in a car that cost almost $300k I will never know!!!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
reverse shifitng

...so here's the question...if this car takes two hands to shift into reverse when cold...what do I do in the morning backing out of the garage?

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
put a front door on the garage--lol
just kidding, just let it warm up a few minutes, and the shifter will loosen up.
i had the same problem, after about 200 miles, the problem has subsided

sam
#1451 red/white

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Now it's smototh!

Now, after 2,100 miles, my tranny is shifting smoothly! Just an update!
2005 #1877

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
More shifter torque...

LEMANSZ said:
...so here's the question...if this car takes two hands to shift into reverse when cold...what do I do in the morning backing out of the garage?

Get a third hand from your girlfriend!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
LEMANSZ said:

Its a finesse move with one hand. A snap once mastered. Never had to use two hands.

Dave