Gauge Failure...any correlation with VIN?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My gauges are good, but, like most of us I guess, I follow the failure threads with interest. I've searched the forums, but I have not seen any attempt to correlate failures with any particular batch of gauges or car build sequence. Have I missed it?

I think it would be interesting to compile the statistics on 1) which gauge(s); 2) model year; 3) last 4 of VIN to determine if there is any grouping or pattern, or, perhaps just as significant, if the failures are random.

I know that some have had replacement gauges fail, and I think the inclination is to say the gauges are flawed. But it's also possible that a gauge that fails on one car may not fail on another. In other words, another problem could cause the gauges to fail.

I suspect we don't have a large enough sample to be statistically significant, but if a pattern emerges it could provide clues for investigation.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
It's doesn't happen to any certain year or build date. It's very random

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I've been in close contact with Ford Engineering to publish the data in The Journal of Irreproducible Results.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Don't think the gauges have vin's on them

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I've been in close contact with Ford Engineering to publish the data in The Journal of Irreproducible Results.

:lol

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Don't think the gauges have vin's on them

???

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think this is about trying to correlate VINs to failures. That would make sense to try to find a time correlation, but the assumption is that the VINs were built in some kind of time order. They were not...

There are failures across model years and build times. It's really tough to zero in on any link of one failure to another.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
...but the assumption is that the VINs were built in some kind of time order. They were not...

True...but we do know the production date of each VIN. Mine: 1621 = 7/18/06. Give me your VIN, I'll give you the production date.

Still the same problem, though. Production date of the car doesn't tell you production date or run of any components.

It sounds like you guys have determined it is random. Very strange that some even worry about disconnecting the battery for fear the gauges will die. Just don't tell me our electrical systems have Lucas DNA. :eek

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Complete randomness. Some have had same gauges fail twice

You're better off focusing your energy on a winning lotto number generator and it could reap results versus the gauge "silence"

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Just buy a set of Speedhut gauges unless Ford comes out with a fix.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think it is going to come down to grounding issue that is unrelated to the actual gauges. They just happen to be the most susceptible component. IMHO

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Yesterday my Tack and Speedo started being lazy. They work and are correct but not real time. There is about 1-2 sec lapse before the respond to actual rpm or speed. Is the only solution new gauges? The originals are not fixable?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Yesterday my Tack and Speedo started being lazy. They work and are correct but not real time. There is about 1-2 sec lapse before the respond to actual rpm or speed. Is the only solution new gauges? The originals are not fixable?

That does not sound like typical gauge failure. I would do the "clean the battery ground cable" routine, because...voodoo.

And, ensure the battery isn't getting weak.

Last edited:

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Has anyone had a gauge failure after installing the protector?

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
I installed mine about 45 starts ago - no problems . Knock on Wood.
Had a Temp. Gauge failure prior to the installation.