Fuel gauge

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
I have speedhut gauges . My fuel gauge reads accurately when ignition turned on. But then reads full when engine is started. Turn engine off turn ignition on gauge reads nomal. Start engine gauge reads full. Anyone had a similar problem.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Yep. Had that one and had their speedometer go bad. I dumped Speedhut for Autometer small gauges and original Ford GT speedo and tach.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Update on my fuel gauge. The gauge now moves very slowly, was a 1/3 full. After filling up, the gauge took a long time to finally reach full. Im hoping its not the sender unit, in the tank.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I don't think it is the sender. This recently came up in another thread. Occasionally the gauge control module will do this after a fill-up - seemingly in a mode where it doesn't want to believe what the sending unit is saying and so reacts VERY slowly. I wouldn't worry about it - see if it does it the next time.

Reactions: analogdesigner

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
This behaviour is normal

Reactions: PeteK

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Yep. Had that one and had their speedometer go bad. I dumped Speedhut for Autometer small gauges and original Ford GT speedo and tach.

Sadly, I think it's time, as now only my Engine Temp gauge appears to be working with my fuel gauge sporadically working. The rest of my original OEM gauges seem to be non-responsive.

Where did you source the Autometer gauges? And did you just order the original Speedo and Tach through the dealership?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You can get the smaller gauges directly from Autometer. We have all of them in stock if you are in a pinch on time. Tach and Speedo through the dealership - roughly $1300 each last I checked. If it is possible to wait on the speedo and tach, there is a small chance to have add'l options later this year.

Reactions: SYCO GT

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks Kendall for the info and speculation.

Is there a recommended OBDII reader device that will provide a speed and tach readout to a independent display? I could use that as a quick solution (so I can continue going on drives with info) until additional options come out that would permit a comprehensive fix to all the gauges.

Something kind of like this, but less Knight Industries Two Thousand - ish.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 10.53.44 AM.gif

Reactions: GTMD

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Or maybe a Heads Up Display. Not sure how rake angle of FGT windshield and small dash area would work with this.

Again, this would just be a temporary solution for drives until I can source and install the permanent fix. (I know it's hideous)

Does anyone have experience with HUD, aftermarket, in any vehicle?

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
I have the ScanGauge II on my car. It was on the car when I purchased it. It is small and on the left dash. It has multiple things to display. I currently have speed, intake air temp, water temp, and I other. I forget last parameter. And I just drove it yesterday! I find the mph most useful, since I never look off to where the speedo is. It isn't a fancy display though. Pretty archaic screen. But unobtrusive and it works. Reminds me of old DOS computer screen. I am dating myself....

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
I remembered the last parameter. Voltage. You can pick many different options, but only can display 4.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Or maybe a Heads Up Display. Not sure how rake angle of FGT windshield and small dash area would work with this.

Again, this would just be a temporary solution for drives until I can source and install the permanent fix. (I know it's hideous)

Does anyone have experience with HUD, aftermarket, in any vehicle?

That's a great idea Syco! There a a lot of wireless OBD II readers out there (I have the BlueDriver) but they display to your phone. I would also be interested in a wireless HUD solution. Now you got me thinking!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
GTMD, I'm wavering now between traditional digital display and HUD display. Originally I thought wireless to iPhone, but then decided I didn't want to burn my phone battery down all the time, although I guess that's easily solved with a charging cord...

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Dreimer, ScanGauge II looks like a very capable device with lots of information. It's possible I might go that route and appreciate the insight. For me, it'd be ideal to find a display that offers a graphical display of speed or tach, for ease of viewing at a quick glance.

Reactions: dreimer

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Dreimer, ScanGauge II looks like a very capable device with lots of information. It's possible I might go that route and appreciate the insight. For me, it'd be ideal to find a display that offers a graphical display of speed or tach, for ease of viewing at a quick glance.

I will take a photo of what it looks like later today. I plan on taking a drive after I get off my too many Zoom meetings.

It isn't graphical, but it is really noticeable and in line of sight but not obtrusive at all. I use the speedo on it all the time. I don't use it to display RPM, since with the GT I never even get close to redline since it is crazy power (unlike my 35 yr old 911 and Ferrari, which require high RPM). I have Xcentric's former car and it came installed, so you can bet it was well thought out.

Reactions: extrap

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Perfect! I appreciate it. That will be helpful.

Reactions: dreimer and extrap

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Perfect! I appreciate it. That will be helpful.
This is what it looks like. I have a dash pad, BTW. Doesn't block anything since it sits slightly below the windshield line. It has a cord and is moveable. You could move it dead center in front of the wheel, but I like where it is. Voltage and water temp are on the left, intercooler air temp and speed on the right. You can display whatever parameters you want. I didn't change any. I really like it and pretty much use it as my speedo. I NEVER look at the normal one.

ScanGauge.jpg

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I still have several OEM gauges for sale if anyone is interested

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006