Fuel Filter Safety Clip Removal

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I'm trying to remove the two safety clips in order to remove and replace the fuel filter.

How do you got the little buggers to release from under the fuel line coupling? I cannot see how to do it unless I bend the little "fangs"?

Thanks.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks but I have the tool to release the fuel lines from the filter.
I should have been more clear.
I'm referring to the safety clips that come off first. They release easily on the one end away from the filter, but the end that has the fangs that reach up under the housing near the filter has me stumped.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks Kendall and Ryan.
Found out you just push down on the safety clip first in order to clear the fangs then pop off the clip.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Thanks but I have the tool to release the fuel lines from the filter.
I should have been more clear.
I'm referring to the safety clips that come off first. They release easily on the one end away from the filter, but the end that has the fangs that reach up under the housing near the filter has me stumped.

Gotcha and glad you got it off.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Can you take a pic of where or which point you push down on the safety clip? Would be useful for those of us in the process of replacing the filter. Also did you loosen the dry sump oil tank bolts to have more working space?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Sorry Art. Finished and buttoned up.

The clamp, in its current position, gets pushed down toward the end of the hard fuel line, over the part that is slightly larger circumference, about 1/2 inch. That clears the fangs from the end of the fuel line. Then it pops right off. If you find yourself in a bind, PM me and I'll try to re create and take pictures of the top clip.

I removed the bracket holding the oil sump tank that is closest to the firewall. I needed that space to get at the size 27 star bolt that holds the filter bracket to the frame. That little bolt, removal and replacement, is a real pain in the a$$.

I undid the three bolts that hold the transaxle cooler to the brackets. I did not disconnect the cooler, but that allowed me to move it outside toward the side scoop.

After removing the top fuel line from the filter, I removed the filter from the frame and pushed it under the frame in order to remove the lower fuel line using the open space created by moving the cooler aside.

Glad I don't have to do this again for a looonnnggg time.

ADDED:

Here are two photos I did take when removing the top safety clip. In this one, I've moved the top of the clip off the hardline and that's when the lower part of the clip will not clear the flange. You can also see how the end of the hard line expands in size a bit. I then replaced the top of the clip on the hardline, pushed it down and off it came.

Here is the safety clip removed. It shows the fangs on the bottom of the clip and the top part of the clip that must be pushed down over the hard line.

Last edited:

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Thx.....very helpful...any issues with fuel pressure.....did you leave car overnight to bleed off pressure?

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thx.....very helpful...any issues with fuel pressure.....did you leave car overnight to bleed off pressure?

No.
Per the manual, procedure to bleed off fuel pressure is to pull fuse 13 in the fuse box by the battery. Then fire up and let idle until engine stops. Cycle ignition again for 5 seconds to bleed any more pressure. Note: I had not ran the GT in two weeks so initially it just turned over and would not start. I replaced the fuse, fired it up, then turned it off and then removed fuse again. Then it fired and stopped.