Fuel filler problems - can it be by passed?

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi

Wondered if anyone out there knows if the system can be completely by passed?

Every now and then my car will stall at lights and I know that this is the emmissions system that is linked to the fillwer neck that causes the car to shut down.

As I live in UK, this is not really a problem if the system isn't monitored as I understand it.

The fact that the seal on the gas filler sometimes doesnt quite seal allowing escape and shut down I have accepted. Its just that I was having work done on the car, front tub lining removed to disconnect battery, and there is a vacuum type of hose with an electrical connection on it which looks like it goes to the filler neck.

If this hose was capped, would that give the same reading to the car that the seal was perfect and therefore not shut down?

Please forgive me if I am not technically correct - I am not that good when it comes to things liek this.

Look forward to any help that can be provided.

Thanks

Tony

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
If you fill the gas tank and keep it over 3/4 full all the time...the stall will not happen......as the evap cycle in the computer will not run .......even though that will stop the stalling, it is still dangerous.......plugging the vaccum in any way or sealing any return lines will only build pressure and other codes will occur......
The only REAL FIX,if it is the filler pipe is to replace it............call the GTGUYS get them some passports and all will be okay:biggrin
Now enjoy the ride , but fix it when you get time, you dont want to stall at a 4 way intersection.......old post........
gtjoey1314

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Almost forgot if you buy the book its in there............call marcie on the book thread as there is a whole chapter on RED GT'S in europe.......:biggrin

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
I would have thought that regardless of the return line, having a broken n filler cap provides the exact opposite problem gtjoey describes...lack of pressure buildup sure to no cap! Also as I understand his question, is there an electric connection he is referring to, or is it a hose he wants to cap?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Its a closed loop system, tricking the computer is the only way for now, if he wants to drive it. There are 3 flaps and if one is weak it sucks in air or vapor leaks out air and the pressurised system shuts down electronically. Bypassing the wiring/sensor or plugging the return tube or lets say you put a custom fuel filler pipe and cap with no flaps? A kind of street rod set up, will only screw up the return pressure and stall out the car..
Ive got this old black GT in the barn a really early one:biggrin theres reasons why they did what they did......:eek
Hope this is a better explaination....remember the GT was the first car in the world with a capsless fuel tank, they live and learn.......ENJOY GTJOEY1314:thumbsup