Front Turn Signal Issue

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Discovered yesterday that my front right turn signal is not working. Right rear signal works. The front amber bulb lights up when headlights/parking lights are on, but just will not brighten for a blinker. Also noticed that when the right signal is on, the dash indicator blinks at a rapid rate. A few questions:

1. Does this sound like a bulb or a fuse issue? Any way to tell?
2. Can you replace just the bulb in the headlight assembly, or does the whole assembly have to be replaced? Is this a DIY project, or require a dealership fix?
3. Is the rapid blinking dash indicator meant to indicate that the signal bulb is out?

Thanks. Any thoughts will help.

David

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Common issue. Typically from some oxidation of the thin wires on the bulbs, where they contact inside the socket. You can often get by for quite a while by giving your headlight unit a pretty firm thump (or 2 or 3) with your flat palm, while the turn signal is on (to see when it is "fixed", and you can stop thumping). The proper fix of course is to remove the bulb and take some emery cloth to the wires and apply a little dielectric grease, or just replace with a new bulb. Unfortunately, this does require removal of the inner wheel liner, which is very doable but kind of a PITA.

Reactions: Simon

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Exactly what Dakota said.
I've fixed mine the last four years by smacking it!
Best,
Mark

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Just don't smack it and break it! :eek:

Tomcat

GT Owner
Exactly what Dakota said.
I've fixed mine the last four years by smacking it!
Best,
Mark
Agreed with Dakota too...inner liner comes out a lot easier in the hot summer months.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Install a NEW lamp. Dont clean the existing one, and then add some dilectric grease..... Worked perfectly for a bit.... You might have to do the project twice (as me how I know).

Reactions: 2112 and HNS

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You can get the bulb out without taking out the headlight or fender liner. Much easier if you can work under a lift. You will need to drop the chin spoiler. Easier if you have thinner arms. It is a standard yellow bulb that only takes a 90 degree twist to get out and in. You cannot see what you are doing so it is by feel. On the drivers side the window washer container is in the way so you have to loosen it. I do not remember what is on the passenger side. There is an old thread on the Forum covering this. Removing the fender liner is a major PITA with chance of bending the aluminum fender. If you are in a colder climate, use a heat gun to warm it up and make it more flexible.

Reactions: analogdesigner

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Ah, Frank is right.. forgot you could get to it that way. I just did mine when I had my liners out to do other things.

This photo might be helpful if you are trying to do the job "by feel" as suggested by Dr. Frank:

gtpassside2.jpg

Reactions: digman1

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I know I could never get my arms up there without taking out the fender liner.

One of the reasons why I went with the 2-piece fender liner option.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I’ve had the passenger fender liner out twice; once to fix the fuel filler problem, once to fix the turn signal. Maybe it’s the warm Houston weather, but I’ve never had any difficulty, you can bend that thing like a pretzel. The only issue is that there’s actually twice as many push pins as it says in the manual. Just use tons of masking tape round the fender lip.

Reactions: HNS

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Gents, thanks for all the input. I will get to work with a smack first!

Tomcat

GT Owner
Maybe it’s the warm Houston weather,
As a fellow Gulf coaster...that is a very tactful way of describing the sauna.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
My pass side front somehow lost its locking tab and I spotted it dangling out the side.
Decided to fix (not really just put it back) it with my fix every thing butyl tape.
Small blob on the broken section...... flex the sprung end in, and it's seated again.
But if one was to actually have a showroom front indicator how would one find said part?

Stuart

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I am not sure which light you are talking about. Do you mean the side fender turn signal? If that is it, it is from a Land Rover. There is an old thread here about it.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
My pass side front somehow lost its locking tab and I spotted it dangling out the side.
Decided to fix (not really just put it back) it with my fix every thing butyl tape.
Small blob on the broken section...... flex the sprung end in, and it's seated again.
But if one was to actually have a showroom front indicator how would one find said part?

Stuart
Mine did that too. All four GT side marker/repeat lamps are from a Land Rover Freelander part no. XGC 000060. You can buy them easily on-line

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Easy fix, done Tomcat's and mine with "loosened" liner