Formula 1 Seating Position

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Interesting video. That has to be pretty intense to barely be able to see over the wheel at those speeds.

[video=youtube_share;NsvWnGgT7Ok]http://youtu.be/NsvWnGgT7Ok[/video]

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
WOW!!! Interesting and educational. Thanks

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Balls of steel!!

And not just that wild (but necessary) driving posture --

what about that steering wheel?

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I too find that foam is heavy - and try to limit the amount I use on my cars.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Crazy!

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Same position a laydown go kart racer uses. Takes a little getting use to. You drive/steer/view through the steering wheel.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Also the same in the Formula Mazdas. At first I thought it would be uncomfortable but it was not. The difference was that the pedal travel was way different. In a normal car you move alot with your legs. In the Formula Mazda it was all ankle action. Same with the shifter - it was all wrist.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I should show my son, he's looking for a job laying down! :rofl

John

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Also the same in the Formula Mazdas. At first I thought it would be uncomfortable but it was not. The difference was that the pedal travel was way different. In a normal car you move alot with your legs. In the Formula Mazda it was all ankle action. Same with the shifter - it was all wrist.

Tony - Do you still race Formula Mazdas ? I raced them and Formula Continental for years. The Formula Mazda is a great race car and probably the best bang for the buck out there

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tony - Do you still race Formula Mazdas ? I raced them and Formula Continental for years. The Formula Mazda is a great race car and probably the best bang for the buck out there

I Wish! You can buy one on eBay for about $10K. I hear there are still places which race them (and others in their class).

I drove one at the 4-day Bondurant class. The last day was in one of the little speed demons. They are fast, but also quick and nimble and I'd never felt as comfortable going fast ever.

I was going to do the 3-day advanced class this spring on the way to the Shelby 50th but canceled the class and the reunion since I didn't trust the weather and because I had a Grand Canyon trip lined up. In the advanced class I would have had 1 day in the Mazda, 1 day in the Corvette Z06 and then final day in my GT. The class was basically going to be me and an instructor, either in my car or on the track with me. I have since canceled the Grand Canyon and a friend wants to go down for the class too so we may later in the fall or next spring.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Honestly I think a good one that is race ready/competetive is about 20k but anyway they are a great race car. A good driver can turn same or better lap times than a GT1 car (600+ hp Mustang or camaro etc....) They take a good bit of abuse and are inexpensive to repair so they are like I mentioned fantastic club level race cars