Ford's GT40 Beats Ferrari at Le Mans; relive the excitement from 50 years ago!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Hey guys, as a pre-cursor to the impending history of Ford returning to Le Mans it felt appropriate to post a video about Ford's first win there 50 years ago. This comes from a program called "Behind the Headlights" which was a great series on the Speed Channel over 10 years ago. I was able to record and transfer the episode on the GT40 from my DVR to my hard drive, and now I've uploaded it to YouTube.

The quality isn't the greatest on a lot of this original footage, but it's still quite watchable and enjoyable for any race fans, and particularly for Ford and GT/GT40 fans. Lots of famous folks in this show (Carroll Shelby, Dan Gurney, Bob Bondurant, Phil Hill, Edsel Ford II, etc. -- but pay no attention to the dork in the dark blue collar shirt...).

The video content is copyrighted, so I didn't post it "publicly" but I am posting a direct link to the video here so you can access it (you won't find it through YouTube's search box or looking at my YouTube channel).

If you've got a spare 45 minutes I guarantee you won't regret watching this as a warm up to this year's Le Mans' race in a couple weeks. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;Jg7g0Bml8WU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7g0Bml8WU[/video]

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Update: just realized the video setting had to allow anyone with the link to watch it. Should work now for everyone who clicks on the link above.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thanks Enzo Btr!

Ed

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Thanks... Great video... getting closer...

Last edited:

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Terrific. Thanks very much.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Great Story, very well done and very timely. Thanks for posting!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Hey guys, as a pre-cursor to the impending history of Ford returning to Le Mans it felt appropriate to post a video about Ford's first win there 50 years ago. This comes from a program called "Behind the Headlights" which was a great series on the Speed Channel over 10 years ago. I was able to record and transfer the episode on the GT40 from my DVR to my hard drive, and now I've uploaded it to YouTube.

The quality isn't the greatest on a lot of this original footage, but it's still quite watchable and enjoyable for any race fans, and particularly for Ford and GT/GT40 fans. Lots of famous folks in this show (Carroll Shelby, Dan Gurney, Bob Bondurant, Phil Hill, Edsel Ford II, etc. -- but pay no attention to the dork in the dark blue collar shirt...).

The video content is copyrighted, so I didn't post it "publicly" but I am posting a direct link to the video here so you can access it (you won't find it through YouTube's search box or looking at my YouTube channel).

If you've got a spare 45 minutes I guarantee you won't regret watching this as a warm up to this year's Le Mans' race in a couple weeks. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;Jg7g0Bml8WU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7g0Bml8WU[/video]

What a great find, thanks for sharing it Karl. Watching that sends chills down your spine.

Yep, we can do this!

Pipelion

Thanks Enzo Btr!
Great film. Ford won Four Years ! Great FORMula !

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
24 hours of Le Mans 1966 heritage footage with Ford GT rediscovered!

Just in case this incredible and charming film was nos shown here.

https://youtu.be/AdpWTLB0Y4I

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Wow, that is amazing. Now that I've been to the track and have a sense of its scale, and where each section is in relation to the other turns and straights, this old footage is far more meaningful.

Thanks for posting the link!