Ford's GT supercar is bold expansion into performance market

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
From the LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-fast-fords-20150117-story.html#page=1

Couple good quotes in this one. I love this quote from Nair:

"It's not just for beauty's sake; everything had to be super-functional," Nair said. "There is not a single aspect of this vehicle that's being built for pop stars driving on Rodeo Drive."

It's also worth noting this:

The new GT grew out of a discussion, more than a year ago, about how to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Ford GT40's momentous 1-2-3 finish at the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans, Nair said. Nair saw an opportunity for Ford to again put itself on the cutting edge of technology.

From the start of the car's development, the GT was pulled out of the mainstream R&D process at Ford to speed things up. Instead, Nair unleashed a small team of sharp engineers on the car.

"With a small, tight team you have direct control, you can go fast," Nair said. "As soon as you get in the broader organization, there's a lot that can slow you down."

I saw a couple articles referencing the old 2011 interview with Derrick Kuzak that included a quote from Alan Mulally a number of people took to mean there was a new Ford GT in the works back then. Alan said “All I know is, if the ground is wet, they don’t let me drive it. That vehicle levitates.” Some people took that to mean there was a new GT coming. That interview was in January of 2011, long before there was even a discussion of a new GT. Derrick retired April 1, 2012 and was succeeded by Raj who, as global product development chief "saw an opportunity for Ford to again put itself on the cutting edge of technology." They didn't even begin studio design work on the GT until around October 2013 (per Moray Callum here). Just for the sake of historical timeline accuracy...

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Great article. While the new GT is not meant for pop star posers we all know plenty will want one, and they'll have the means to get it. Maybe Ford will take a larger role in deciding who can buy these, over and above their ability to pay. If they provided buyer slots to those they know "get it" when it comes to the car's history, as well as looking at who has the ability and intent to actually leverage the 2017 GT's capabilities.

Well, that would would be awesome. But not likely.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Im in Hollywood...zero posers in GTs; low single digits sightings in 3yrs...from Bel Air, to Newport Coast, to Malibu, even Charing Cross Rd (ie, Playboy Mansion)

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If we can take Nair's statement at face value, then if I were in the part of Ford that decides allocations of cars, I would make sure the many of the early vehicles get sold to real racers, who will go race them and (hopefully) establish "street cred" (pun intended) for the cars. I might even make it a condition of the sale by removing some the federally-mandated safety equipment, so that they would not be sold as street cars. After the first hundred or so cars, then open up the field to the guys (and I suspect the buyers will all be guys, just like with our cars) who want street cars.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If we can take Nair's statement at face value, then if I were in the part of Ford that decides allocations of cars, I would make sure the many of the early vehicles get sold to real racers, who will go race them and (hopefully) establish "street cred" (pun intended) for the cars. I might even make it a condition of the sale by removing some the federally-mandated safety equipment, so that they would not be sold as street cars. After the first hundred or so cars, then open up the field to the guys (and I suspect the buyers will all be guys, just like with our cars) who want street cars.

Don't worry. The race versions will not be included in any allocations. The only ones that count here are the street (homologation) vehicles. The race teams will be well cared for. But they need only 10's of cars. The FIA says a minimum of 9 must be prepared for entry to the group.

But the process won't be to remove stuff to make the race cars. Unlike the Ford GT which was produced as a street car and converted to race use by a few, the new generation car is a race car first, with street car things added.

Really, homologation is a PITA for this car. As I believe the real reason for its existence is a return to 50 years of a wup ass performance, the street cars being produced, as far as manufacturing goes, is a real thorn. They have to make a minimum of 100, but to recoup their costs they'll make a few more. But not many, and far fewer than our original Ford GTs, and actually significantly more (by a factor of over 100) of the original street GT40s.

As a result, the street cars, as they say, might not be too comfortable. No 5-way adjustable electric seat - the seat is built into the carbon fiber tub, the pedals and steering wheel move to you. Think of plopping your into the seat of a street Cobra or GT40 in the 60's. Sorry if it's not a McLaren grocery getter. That's not what they are being designed for. Heck at least they have an optional radio and cruise control Still no cup holder.

And that civilian steering wheel? It'll look like a lit up Christmas tree on the race version.l

Last edited:

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Don't worry. The race versions will not be included in any allocations. The only ones that count here are the street (homologation) vehicles. The race teams will be well cared for. But they need only 10's of cars. The FIA says a minimum of 9 must be prepared for entry to the group.

But the process won't be to remove stuff to make the race cars. Unlike the Ford GT which was produced as a street car and converted to race use by a few, the new generation car is a race car first, with street car things added.

Really, homologation is a PITA for this car. As I believe the real reason for its existence is a return to 50 years of a wup ass performance, the street cars being produced, as far as manufacturing goes, is a real thorn. They have to make a minimum of 100, but to recoup their costs they'll make a few more. But not many, and far fewer than our original Ford GTs, and actually significantly more (by a factor of over 100) of the original street GT40s.

As a result, the street cars, as they say, might not be too comfortable. No 5-way adjustable electric seat - the seat is built into the carbon fiber tub, the pedals and steering wheel move to you. Think of plopping your into the seat of a street Cobra or GT40 in the 60's. Sorry if it's not a McLaren grocery getter. That's not what they are being designed for. Heck at least they have an optional radio and cruise control Still no cup holder.

And that civilian steering wheel? It'll look like a lit up Christmas tree on the race version.l

I agree, spot on explanation. As for myself, comfortable cars are for taking the wife and kids on a sunday drive, or taking grandmother to her doctors appointment. I don't mind a kidney belt or the chiropractor at all if it means the competition sees nothing but my tail lights :biggrin

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I agree, spot on explanation. As for myself, comfortable cars are for taking the wife and kids on a sunday drive, or taking grandmother to her doctors appointment. I don't mind a kidney belt or the chiropractor at all if it means the competition sees nothing but my tail lights :biggrin

I finally live near a respectable track, er the one we used at the Rally 9 in September, and if I am blessedly lucky enough to get one, I'm going to go over there and drive the snot out of it.

I still won't like to drive it on the Streets Of Vegas.

I just hope I can fit in it with my helmet in the totally non adjustable seat. Oh well, that's way far out.

Of course the chances of this happening are about 1/<infinity>

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I have 60+ days of track time on my '05 FGT. About to change the front rotors and pads for the 3rd time. I've had my Carrera GT on track in a controlled environment also. Not door to door stuff, just going fast without the risk of getting a ticket or thrown in jail. I'd do the same thing with the new FGT.