Ford Warranty Issue

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Ok guys like all of you I am true blue Ford guy however just encountered a situation that has me quite disappointed in Ford
So I wanted to post it on here and ask if anyone has any suggestions or recourse I might take

I have a 2015 Ford F350 Lariat 4 door 4 wheel drive with power stroke diesel engine (this is like my 4th one of these over the years)
The truck is a week shy of one year old and has 29,000 miles on it

So last Monday I am on way to Colorado on vacation and 50 miles East of Amarillo the truck dash reads out "reduced power" and engine service light comes and immediately I could feel the truck slow down then within a mile it dies on me so I get over on the shoulder, raise the hood and there is diesel fuel all over right side of engine and dripping on the ground - so we look all over that side if engine, crawl under
truck etc.... but cannot see anything that has come apart as there are too many shields/guards/covers and so on - then try to start the truck and it will not start
Its 7:00 pm Monday evening basically in the middle of nowhere but luckily we have phone service and within about an hour and a half we have a flat bed wrecker there to load up the truck (I called Ford Roadside Assistance) I am informed by Roadside Assistance that they will
pay for 35 mile tow - but we have actually 60 miles to the dealership therefore I have to pay the wrecker drive $120.00 out of my pocket

We arrive at Ford dealership in Amarillo at 10:00 pm and due to the fact that there are two motorcycles plus all our riding and camping gear in the truck bed we (my brother and I) sleep in the truck instead of getting a room

Tuesday morning the dealership service department opens up and I tell them the scenario with the truck and they get right on it so in about an hour they tell me a fuel return line blew off - fuel system has water in it and it will need complete new fuel system including high pressure fuel pump, injectors, fuel tank removed and cleaned and I don't even remember what else now but that it will cost over 10k to repair and that Ford will most likely not warranty it - dealership sends info to Ford and they denied the warranty and now dealership say cost to repair is 13k !!!

Ok the truck has been serviced at my local Ford dealer every 5,000 miles (5 times and its almost due it's next one) and the fuel filter was changed at 15,000 miles which is Ford's recommended interval - the "Water in Fuel" light NEVER came on since I've owned the truck

Now here is where I am at a loss - when I asked the mechanic and service manager why the light has never come on they both said the water level wasn't high enough to reach the sensor !!!! So I asked then why is the fuel system destroyed from water and they just look at me and can't answer !!!! I then ask if they can hook up computer and tell if I am lying that the light never came on and they tell me they can't do that but I am not sure if I believe them

I apologize for such a long drawn out story but I wanted to explain it clearly and I am appalled that Ford will not warranty this and wanted to explain to all you guys and ask if anyone can suggest any ideas or recourse as I have a lot of faith in the knowledge here on the forum

I mean a truck with a 65k window sticker and at less than a year old I am presented with a 13k repair and all service has been performed at Ford dealership - I mean where did "I" go wrong ?? Should this be considered to be my fault ?? I don't think so !!

Thanks

Steve

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Disgusting, they should absolutely cover it. My 5 1/2 year old Mercedes C-class with over 60,000 miles on it had a problem with a "control device" that moves between the nav,radio, tel, etc. It was going to be a $600+ repair/part. Granted not $13,000, but clearly out of warranty, and they "good willed" it. You serviced/maintained the truck at the dealership, truck is clearly under warranty, and failed thru no fault of yours. Push it up the ladder, call the national customer service number, ask to speak with a "manager", and don't accept "no" for an answer!!!

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I have phoned the customer service number and am waiting to hear back now (actually on hold now) so maybe I shouldn't have posted yet but had to get it off my chest

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Bummer of a story. Not a way to start your vacation.:frown

I would get your local dealer involved who performed and documented your service... We're here for you man !! Say Hi to your brother for me and be safe on the bikes !! Hopefully Ford will eventually take care of this !! B.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yes, I would see it as Ford's unfortunate first position is no. It sucks that they're going to put you through this but I'm sure that after too much time and effort, they will pony up for the expenses.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Sorry to hear about your problems with your F350. I have a 2012 F-450 driven 45K miles, almost all of those miles under heavy towing. I've never had problem however, after hearing a lot of stories about bad diesel fuel, I do two thing with this truck:
1. I change the oil, oil filter AND fuel filters (there are two) every 3-5K miles
2. I only buy fuel from stations that turn over a lot of diesel fuel. Apparently diesel fuel can be problematic if it sits in tanks for a long period of time.

I also installed a 65 gallon Titan midship fuel tank to replace the OEM tank. It fits in the OEM location and provides tremendous range between fill-ups on long trips without losing space in the bed to a fuel tank. This makes it a lot easier to be picky about where I purchase fuel.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Steve,i've had problems with out of town dealers in the past on my vehicles. Call your regular dealer at home or where you bought it and get the regional Manger involved. My home dealer was VERY helpful in solving these kind of problems.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Steve,i've had problems with out of town dealers in the past on my vehicles. Call your regular dealer at home or where you bought it and get the regional Manger involved. My home dealer was VERY helpful in solving these kind of problems.

Yes I agree and am working that angle also

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Bummer of a story. Not a way to start your vacation.:frown

I would get your local dealer involved who performed and documented your service... We're here for you man !! Say Hi to your brother for me and be safe on the bikes !! Hopefully Ford will eventually take care of this !! B.

Hi Brian
Hope you are doing well and I will be sure and tell the guys you said hello - the dealer who has the truck now has contacted my dealer and they have provided the service documents

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Frankly, I don't know if I would believe the dealer's diagnosis either. Sounds WAY too far-fetched to me. Scam to make money from person in a tough position???

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Frankly, I don't know if I would believe the dealer's diagnosis either. Sounds WAY too far-fetched to me. Scam to make money from person in a tough position???

I'm surely suspect and have called Ford Customer Relationship Center 800 # (of course I was on phone on hold 45 minutes before getting a real person) but now have a case number and am going to push until it gets handled

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Also ask for the Ford Area Manager.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Also ask for the Ford Area Manager.

Ask the dealer that has my truck or the Customer Relation person ?

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
I am a senior Ford Master Tech. This story sounds Fishy! The water in fuel lamp would be on and sounds like you are in the devils triangle and the dealer regularly gets tow in out of towners. Ford will back that vehicle and there is no way it has fuel damage without the light being on for thousands of miles. The WIF. fault code is P1140, It would be a hard fault. KOEO. Key on engine off On demand if the was any harmful fuel condition. It would also be in memory. There is no way ford will not back you on this. They are only going off of what the repairing dealer is telling them. Read this message to them. Crazy!!!

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I am a senior Ford Master Tech. This story sounds Fishy! The water in fuel lamp would be on and sounds like you are in the devils triangle and the dealer regularly gets tow in out of towners. Ford will back that vehicle and there is no way it has fuel damage without the light being on for thousands of miles. The WIF. fault code is P1140, It would be a hard fault. KOEO. Key on engine off On demand if the was any harmful fuel condition. It would also be in memory. There is no way ford will not back you on this. They are only going off of what the repairing dealer is telling them. Read this message to them. Crazy!!!

Thank You 68Rcodeman

I asked them if they could prove whether or not the fuel lamp and ever come on and they told me no !!

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Steve,

Go rent a Chevy truck, go back to dealer load up all your crap and continue on vacation. Leave the service manager with a note demanding he get the Ford warranty people involved and you will see him on your way back thru. Also be prepared to rent a trailer and take it home to your dealer. If they are scamming you post it everywhere so that others aren't caught in the same predicament.
Most of all do not let it get you down. Enjoy your vacation. You will prevail on this.

Larry

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Steve,

Go rent a Chevy truck, go back to dealer load up all your crap and continue on vacation. Leave the service manager with a note demanding he get the Ford warranty people involved and you will see him on your way back thru. Also be prepared to rent a trailer and take it home to your dealer. If they are scamming you post it everywhere so that others aren't caught in the same predicament.
Most of all do not let it get you down. Enjoy your vacation. You will prevail on this.

Larry
Hi Larry

I like your comments :) - we rented a UHaul and went on and had a great vacation so no worries there - I just didn't expect the warranty to be denied so my reason for posting here - I am going to keep after them and Ford and hopefully it will get resolved. My insurance company says they will take care of it but in my opinion that's not fair to them as warranty should cover the repair so I will keep pushing Ford to do the right thing