Ford Short (Sport) Shifter

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
I just received my Ford short shifter today and curious about step 16(optional) of the installation instructions. Did anyone install the provided bushing and washers or maintain the original steel inserts and rubber grommets? Did you notice any difference with feel or vibration/noise, using the supplied materials? :shrug
John

Aug 25, 2006
I just received my Ford short shifter today and curious about step 16(optional) of the installation instructions. Did anyone install the provided bushing and washers or maintain the original steel inserts and rubber grommets? Did you notice any difference with feel or vibration/noise, using the supplied materials? :shrug
John

Hi John

I can not speak for the group and yet I can share that on my gal and all of those that I am aware of had the optional aluminum bushings installed with no secondary issues. The shift feel is crisp, consistent, and there were and are no vibration issues.

All the best

Shadowman

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The steel bushings improve feel and responsiveness. As far as I am aware, most if not all owners (present company included) have done this. Much crisper feel, no vibration. Toss the rubber gromets ..... you'll be glad you did!

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Thanks for your input. :cheers I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Any idea on difficulty of installation? Looking at instructions and service manual, it doesn't appear too complex.

conundrum

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2007
Kentucky
What is the verdict on the short shifter? If you have it, do you like it?

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Thanks Shadowman and ACRJoe for your replies:cheers

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Thanks for your input. :cheers I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Any idea on difficulty of installation? Looking at instructions and service manual, it doesn't appear too complex.
Totally EZ. Just make sure you use lots of painter's tape, towels, etc. to protect the console, e-brake escution (sp?), radio, etc.

Aug 25, 2006

I speak to the Ford Racing shifter and it is simply wonderful; no looking back.

As for ease of installation; it is truly very easy with the only awkward phase being the removing of the center console trim piece.

Take a few minutes and tape the front edges and around the radio area just so you do not scratch anything during the process. Then you have to remove the leather trim piece that resides at the bulkhead in-between the seats; 6 Torx screws hold it into place. You will have to remove the leatherette side trim that runs below the center console trim piece next to the seats; it comes loose from the upper edge; it is held in place with several small pieces of velcro. If you begin at the rear corner you can use a credit card or plastic tool to begin the process and once you see how it is secured you will quickly complete the process. Once loose along the upper edge you will find that the leatherette trim panels sit in a groove at the lower edge so simply lift them out. Then you will have to remove the e-brake bezel; to do so place some tape around it and it lifts straight up, not at an angle. You will need to use a plastic wedge tool or ?? to help in this process. Slowly lift at one side and then the other and then once it begins to come up simply use your fingers and pull it straight up. Then remove the few Torx's along the side of the center console trim piece after this raise the e-brake (place some tape over it too) all the way up and then raise the rear of the center trim piece 4-5" as you will need to reach under it and unplug the A/C etc control plug. Once this is done then the center console trim piece will slide up at the rear while you slowly slide it back enough to clear the radio area and then carefully remove it from the car. I suggest a blanket or ?? over the seats to prevent any rash.

Once the center console trim piece is out of the gal the shifter swap if painless and should only take 15-20 minutes. Keep a close eye on the two wire clips when you disconnect the linkage otherwise you will be fine.

Hopefully I did not miss anything.

All the best

Shadowman

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Love it ..... one of those "how'd I ever live without it!"

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
BTW, Shadowman totally convinced to do this mod me and he was 100% OTM.

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
conundrum
I'll will post after this weekend:cheers

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Thanks for all of the input!!! I've got the blue tape and ready to roll. Sounds like a good project for the evening. Most likely, from the sound of things, I'll be out before the weekend trying the new shifter.:cheers

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks for all of the input!!! I've got the blue tape and ready to roll. Sounds like a good project for the evening. Most likely, from the sound of things, I'll be out before the weekend trying the new shifter.:cheers

A couple methodical hours and the project will be a wrap.

Takes care

Shadowman

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
A couple methodical hours and the project will be a wrap.

Takes care

Shadowman

I'm very much looking forward to it...

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
guys forgive me but I thought this shifter was out of stock?
I want one and last I heard Jack was talking to B&M or someone about making a run of them.
ANyone know where I can get one?

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
I contacted many retailers from a google search. Derek at D'Agostino Racing :thumbsup located mine a couple weeks ago. He found a supplier that had one in stock. Good luck!

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
It took a couple days longer to start than I had planned but what a difference:thumbsup AZGTwas right:bow regarding the short throw and improved first to second shift. I just finished a few hours ago and had a difficult time getting out of the GT!! I truly believe that the short shift kit has helped with the clunk! Installation was a piece of cake. Lots of blue tape!!

Last edited: