Ford Power

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
Hi Rob,

My Cobra is a Factory Five....looks like the pic you posted is a FF as well, I like the black accents throughout....I'm only using the chassis and body from the kit, got a full kit but kept finding a more interesting part to use here and there, a few custom things, and will go for a more raw aluminum race car like feel to engine bay, trunk, etc....also interior will have some departure from the typical...aside from being excited about the power the engine going in I'm also looking at unique paint scheme...imagine the car appears to be aluminum panels with exposed seems and rivets, think of the WWII war bird look....since it's not a "real" cobra I figure I might as well do something out there :)....Tiny

Love the stacks. Smedding makes a good motor. A friend had one built for his cobra with a 750 cfm carb and loves it. I can't believe you made so much power. Those are great numbers. I was throwing around the exact idea of running the stacks out of the hood, but went a traditional scoop. I'm sure you will love it. What kind of cobra are you putting it in?

Rob

b665bfad.jpg

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Agreed. Mine is a Mk 4 FFR too #7199. I also ordered the complete kit and used almost none of it. I ended up purchasing many more authentic looking pieces. Mine is going the route of a really good replica of the original, but with creature comforts like stack injection, power steering and brakes. I want it to look nice and be a good quality car. It's hopefully going to pay tribute to the original by looking like one. It's supposed to be painted this weekend... and finished here in the upcoming week or two.

Love to see pics of yours. Mine is posted on ffcars.com and well documented in my build. Forte built dart aluminum block 427W motor and TKO 600 tranny. Fun stuff to build it.

Rob

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
A "one-off" 600 horse Roush 427 IR (560 horse, 540(?) torque is std) with an iron block will run ya $35K, so................

The "std" 560 horse 427 IR has been a great mill powering my '70 Cyclone, and it gets oohs and aahs whenever I pop the hood. And it was $20k, including the 8 stack TWM injection and 2 year warranty.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The "std" 560 horse 427 IR has been a great mill powering my '70 Cyclone, and it gets oohs and aahs whenever I pop the hood. And it was $20k, including the 8 stack TWM injection and 2 year warranty.

I think they're something like $22-24K now (?). Anyway, the extra $$$ for their 'one off' 600 horse (600+ actually) is supposedly in the R&D to 'design' and dyno the 600 horse mill, switching to a Fast ecu (stocker supposedly isn't tunable), tuning that, blah, blah, blah. And there is no warranty on a 'one off' mill either - save for a "90 day" delivery thing.

But, in the meantime, Tiny has now posted the thread on HIS Smeding Performance mill! It's smack-on as far as what I'm looking for w/o any "R&D" costs...and 'comes with a 3 yr/unlimited mile warranty. Choose one. (Of course, any warranty is only as good as the outfit that issues it. So, who really knows whether that's any big deal or not.)

My big 'gripe' with the Roush 427 IR (aside from the h.p.) is the afore mentioned fact that its FI is designed to operate within set programing parameters and is therefore "not tunable by the end user" (supposedly). (I know one gentleman in ARIDzona who's none too happy with his 427 IR for that reason and whom I believe will soon be switching to a Fast control unit to fix that.)

I'm anxious to hear what Tiny has to say about his Smeding mill once it's installed and running!

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
Smeding has been around for a while....they've been in a ton of magazine articles, Ben has won a lot of engine build contests...I think he's got it down to what works and so can do the warranty...I know half a dozen with an engine from him, all bomb proof. Mine build was probably about the same $$ as the Roush...keep in mind the stroked 427 they show on the site that looks like my motor shows the price of the iron block and without the Stack EFI...I got the aluminum block, Stack EFI and Fast ECU.
I think they're something like $22-24K now (?). Anyway, the extra $$$ for their 'one off' 600 horse (600+ actually) is supposedly in the R&D to 'design' and dyno the 600 horse mill, switching to a Fast ecu (stocker supposedly isn't tunable), tuning that, blah, blah, blah. And there is no warranty on a 'one off' mill either - save for a "90 day" delivery thing.

But, in the meantime, Tiny has now posted the thread on HIS Smeding Performance mill! It's smack-on as far as what I'm looking for w/o any "R&D" costs...and 'comes with a 3 yr/unlimited mile warranty. Choose one. (Of course, any warranty is only as good as the outfit that issues it. So, who really knows whether that's any big deal or not.)

My big 'gripe' with the Roush 427 IR (aside from the h.p.) is the afore mentioned fact that its FI is designed to operate within set programing parameters and is therefore "not tunable by the end user" (supposedly). (I know one gentleman in ARIDzona who's none too happy with his 427 IR for that reason and whom I believe will soon be switching to a Fast control unit to fix that.)

I'm anxious to hear what Tiny has to say about his Smeding mill once it's installed and running!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...keep in mind the stroked 427 they show on the site that looks like my motor shows the price of the iron block and without the Stack EFI...I got the aluminum block, Stack EFI and Fast ECU.

Oh, HECK yeah! (The 'disclaimer' under the photos states that the engine is shown "with options".) The alum Dart block alone is around $5K...the injection hasta run $8K or so, blah, blah, blah. I'm guessing the whole tab will pbly be around $30-$32K. But, it'll be whatever it'll be.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Oh, HECK yeah! (The 'disclaimer' under the photos states that the engine is shown "with options".) The alum Dart block alone is around $5K...the injection hasta run $8K or so, blah, blah, blah. I'm guessing the whole tab will pbly be around $30-$32K. But, it'll be whatever it'll be.

I am just happy you are not trying to slip a small block Chev in there. :bored :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I am just happy you are not trying to slip a small block Chev in there. :bored :lol

Saaaaaaaaaaaaay! Now THERE'S one heck of an idea!!!!!!!!! Thankeee, '12! :rofl :thumbsup

Nope. If I do go the GT40 route, it'll be powered by F-O-R-D simply because I don't recall any 60's GT40 that was powered by anything else! :lol

(And I'm sure I'll be harassed by my Chevy buddies over owning a '40 the same way I was harassed over the FGT.)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Ugh,

I would not harass you for getting a C6, just putting a Chev in a Ford..........Sacrilege.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
C-7....................but, they're homely IMO (if the photos we've seen and 'been led to believe is the C-7 turns out to BE the C-7). 'Not considering one of those anyway.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Please post your impressions of this engine once you have it installed and on the road.

(Are you anywhere near being "on the road" at this time?)

It will be heading my way to SF Bay Area by truck from Tx late this week and was delayed to get the serpentine components right.....so could be in the Cobra as a go cart about 3 weeks from now....I'll let you know how that goes and impressions.....Tiny

As my kids always used to say, "Are we there yet?"

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
yeah, yeah, engine mount problems, blah, blah, so maybe go kart by this weekend....a few pics
As my kids always used to say, "Are we there yet?"

Attachments

• DSC_0001[1].jpg
    DSC_0001[1].jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 442
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 442
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 445

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
yeah, yeah, engine mount problems, blah, blah, so maybe go kart by this weekend....

:rofl You mean MURPHY practices his trade at your place too???!

Okay, I'll cutcha some slack then - for now! :wink :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ah hummmmmm...uh...well...uh...???

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
uh yes, sorry been away for a while :) gremlins all worked out, last one was totally inadequate fuel pressure, something like 11psi and we needed 45psi...anyway the beast is a gokart and now at the painters.....we are working on something totally different...I'll post pics of the paint sample and of course the car as we get there....Tiny

Ah hummmmmm...uh...well...uh...???

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Aaaah Hummmmmm...uh...Tiny? :shrug

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Tiny,
You done yet? Mine's back from the painter. :) Where are your pics?

Rob

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Otis,

Great job. very nicely set up, perfect stance.

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
Hi Rob,

Sadly no, still with the painter...it better be perfection :) Also, waiting on custom made horns for the EFI, they are in progressive lengths and will stick out of the hood (so no scoop) and will following the slope of the hood...until those horns come in we can't finalize the hood opening...the good news is I'll have plenty of dry days even in winter living in the SF bay area to enjoy it when it's done.

Tiny

Tiny,
You done yet? Mine's back from the painter. :) Where are your pics?

Rob

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Tiny,
Don't keep us waiting too long. I can't wait to see those stacks.

Rob