Ford GtX1 ??

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
What is the story on the Ford GTX1? I tried searching for some info but came up empty. Besides the most obvious no roof, different wheels, and limited production are they any other differences from the standard Ford GT? Are they any different in horsepower/torque?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What is the story on the Ford GTX1? I tried searching for some info but came up empty. Besides the most obvious no roof, different wheels, and limited production are they any other differences from the standard Ford GT? Are they any different in horsepower/torque?

'Differences depend on how any particular 'X1 was ordered. There could be any number of things that differ from one car to another. :wink

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
'Differences depend on how any particular 'X1 was ordered. There could be any number of things that differ from one car to another. :wink

That is an understatement for a number of reasons.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That is an understatement for a number of reasons.

Well, I'm an understated sorta guy...:biggrin

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Well, I'm an understated sorta guy...:biggrin

You guys crack me up!

Seriously though many of the X1's have been modified just as the stock GT's have been over time with offerings from some of our distinguished forum vendors.

Last edited:

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
I remember seeing pictures of one particular GTX1 that was maroon with ghost flames and white interior. That particular car looked absolutely stunning!!

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC

Uhh, the story.

The idea for the GTX1 was conceived by Kip Ewing, one of the designers of the Ford GT.

Ford wasn't interested in making an open top version, so an aftermarket company decided to convert Ford GT's to GTX1's.

Some owners had additional modifications made to the cars while they were being converted to GTX1's, including interior mods, custom paint, and drivetrain mods.

The aftermarket company no longer makes the cars.

Some GTX1 owners have desired further refinement to their cars than what was accomplished by the initial constructor. For example, removable tops that are water-tight.

Kip Ewing has formed his own company, and is developing some of these refinements. For example, see this thread:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14986

Kip also makes carbon-fiber and other upgrades for all Ford GTs, see his website here:
http://kipewing.com/

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I remember seeing pictures of one particular GTX1 that was maroon with ghost flames and white interior. That particular car looked absolutely stunning!!

I just bought and sold that car. It was ghost stripes, not flames. Pictures dont even begin to do it justice! It's simply a work of art....

Last edited:

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
Uhh, the story.

The idea for the GTX1 was conceived by Kip Ewing, one of the designers of the Ford GT.

Ford wasn't interested in making an open top version, so an aftermarket company decided to convert Ford GT's to GTX1's.

Some owners had additional modifications made to the cars while they were being converted to GTX1's, including interior mods, custom paint, and drivetrain mods.

The aftermarket company no longer makes the cars.

Some GTX1 owners have desired further refinement to their cars than what was accomplished by the initial constructor. For example, removable tops that are water-tight.

Kip Ewing has formed his own company, and is developing some of these refinements. For example, see this thread:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14986

Kip also makes carbon-fiber and other upgrades for all Ford GTs, see his website here:
http://kipewing.com/

Thanks centerpunch for that very interesting info!! I have seen the name Kip Ewing on this forum but was not aware of his connection/designer with the Ford GT very interesting indeed.

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina

Cool video, and thank you for the link on the article about the GTX1!!:thumbsup

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
I just bought and sod that car. It was ghost stripes, not flames. Pictures dont even begin to do it justice! It's simply a work of art....

That is were I saw pictures of the the car. That car is definately eye candy.:eek Do you remember what magazine/issue that car was in? I don't see how you can sell all those great looking exotic cars and not be tempted to take some home. It would be great to have your job!!:thumbsup

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Thanks centerpunch for that very interesting info!! I have seen the name Kip Ewing on this forum but was not aware of his connection/designer with the Ford GT very interesting indeed.

Here's a Ford page with info on the design team, including Kip:
http://fordgt.eesc.com/fordgt/bulletin_detail.asp?type=article&id=1

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
Here's a Ford page with info on the design team, including Kip:
http://fordgt.eesc.com/fordgt/bulletin_detail.asp?type=article&id=1

I was reading the article and it mention that Kip Ewing was a engineer at Callaway Cars. That might explain why the Callaway Speedster and the GTX1 roof tops are made the way they are. Great info, thanks!

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
GTX1s

I was reading the article and it mention that Kip Ewing was a engineer at Callaway Cars. That might explain why the Callaway Speedster and the GTX1 roof tops are made the way they are. Great info, thanks!

Oh yah.
I was at Callaway when they were doing the Speedsters.
That car remained a big influence on me.
I originally conceived the GTX1 as a Speedster; no a-pillars, half windscreen - barchetta style.
Practicality yielded to roll-up windows, wipers, etc.
Here's an image of what I originally came up with.
I still want to build one that way.
Speedstercopy.jpg

We recently had three Tungsten Silver GTX1s at the shop for roof builds and other upgrades. Keven Carter of http://car-n-art.com was at the shop the other night and offered to shoot some photos.
gtx-120.jpg

gtx-17.jpg

gtx-126.jpg

We've had a few requests to start building GTX1s again.
No takers yet, but we can do it.

WALKING TALL 2

Apr 8, 2009
North Carolina
Oh yah.
I was at Callaway when they were doing the Speedsters.
That car remained a big influence on me.
I originally conceived the GTX1 as a Speedster; no a-pillars, half windscreen - barchetta style.
Practicality yielded to roll-up windows, wipers, etc.
Here's an image of what I originally came up with.
I still want to build one that way.
Speedstercopy.jpg

We recently had three Tungsten Silver GTX1s at the shop for roof builds and other upgrades. Keven Carter of http://car-n-art.com was at the shop the other night and offered to shoot some photos.
gtx-120.jpg

gtx-17.jpg

gtx-126.jpg

We've had a few requests to start building GTX1s again.
No takers yet, but we can do it.

First of all Mr. Ewing its definately an honor to chat with you on the forum, and a pleasure reading some of the articles on the GTX1 that some of the forums members were so nice enough to supply me with. The picture of the yellow GTX1 reminds me of a Callaway Speedster so much, but the GTX1 is a much more better looking car. In my opinion the Callaway Speedster was the best looking Corvette of any of the Vettes in the early 90's because of their sleek looks. The GTX1 is definately a beautiful car!!:eek Thanks for sharing some of those cool pics!

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Thanks for stopping by today again Kip. It's always a pleasure seeing and talking with you. I look forward to your next visit.

I hope your workday doesn't last to late.

All the best...
Rick

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Back in Detroit

Thanks for stopping by today again Kip. It's always a pleasure seeing and talking with you. I look forward to your next visit.

I hope your workday doesn't last to late.

All the best...
Rick

Hey Rick

Great to see you too!
Got back this morning.

Cheers
Kip

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Wow Kip. I had 87 and 88 Callaway Verts. Loved the NACA ducts on the hood of the '87. Did some serious tuning and gear changing on the '88 and in controlled environments it was the king of straight line speed. The only bigger adrenaline rush in my life was about 16,000 miles in the GTX1. Thanks for the memories :cheers

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Orange X1

You X1ers know who drives the orange with grey stripe x1 around Woodland Hills California? Its absolutely gorgeous and Im always too late to catch him!!! :)