Ford GT vs Porsche RSR3 on the track

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Not sure which race or track this is in Europe but these are some seriously good drivers, wow, GT getting pushed to the MAX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t88JpzFIauM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Thats a good way to start the morning, thanks for sharing.

I cant beleive how well they are moving through all the traffic, its like the 405Fwy.

Intersting too, both of the cars have their windsheild wiper right in the middle of their windshield? Is this a german thing, are they going so fast it sticks straight up, race spec requirments?.

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
No doubt, those are done serious driving skills....

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
@ 1:45 and 2:20 the Porsche was flashing his lights behind the GT. Is this a request to pass? The reason I ask, is that in both instances, the cars were about to emerge from heavy traffic in turns, and in both times, the GT overtook cars on the right with ease, leaving the 911 trailing.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I think the 911 was flashing to the slower cars to indicate that the faster car(s) are coming thru the traffic....

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Hey great video!

A couple observations.

I was struck as well as the porsche hung on the back of the GT flashing his lights as if saying "hey pull over, I want to pass you". This might have been for approaching slower traffic they both were going to navigate, but the lead GT never flashed his lights. Might have also been intimidation factor trying to get the GT driver to loose his concentration. Didn't work.

In the 10 minutes of video, these two cars were the track class act. They sliced and diced through other traffic with superior speed and driving skill. Perhaps it was a mixed class race and there were other similar performance cars on the track that we did not see, but certainly these two drivers/cars are very good.

In the early part of the video the GT seems to have commanding "pull away" power over the porsche. This seems to diminish towards the end, possibly tires giving way. But each time the porsche pulls up to the GT's door to overtake, the GT driver keeps the lead.

Good video, thanks!

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
That is footage of the 24h Nurburgring in 2009 I think.

The Ford GT was the fastest car on the single lap (started from Pole) but the 911 was a better car for the 24h race.

At the time they were fighting for position and in no way the GT would have let him by.

This is a link to that race start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOvidky8FPw&feature=related

The race was eventually won by the Porsche and I think the Ford GT retired with a mechanical failure.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I did not watch the entire clip, and my German is a lot rusty, but not once did the announcers use the term "FordGT" in what I watched.