Ford Gt Quiz # 2

Pipelion

How well do you know your car?

Hugh has 175,00 points. Check out the posters he made. The 'Widowmaker" , and "Harrison Ford GT', both great.
On the "What do you call a Forrd GT made on July 17" thread (last few posts).

Rules,,,,,,,,,no computer searches at all. No Googling or any searches what so ever!!!!! If you know the Ford GT you sould know this from memory. I do.

Here's the question;
.................................................................................................
How many times does a "stock rear tire" rotate in one mile?
..................................................................................................

We are talking factory new tires and specs.

But no fair looking yet.

Guesses totally cool. :cool

Good luck,

Allan

PS Drove down to Detroit to the Hyatt Regency in Dearborn tonight. On the way back I drove right by the Ford International headquarters. :banana

Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Well, as long as it is not on a trailer and the car is actually moving on the road, 697.859. :banana

So Pipelion, just to check you and keep the brain cells working .............If this answer is correct, how many rotations would it be if the car were in 4th grear which has the one to one ratio? :eek

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
AZGT has too much tread on his tires. I get 697.3456.

Why I spent time doing this - I'll never know!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
nota4re said:
AZGT has too much tread on his tires. I get 697.3456.

Why I spent time doing this - I'll never know!

I just didn't do the burn out at the start :biggrin

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Please, somebody get Pipelion a job, so he can buy a GT and stop with these posts...he's got WAY too much time on his hands...

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
no points for piccola on this one w/o using the computer... my rear tires get ~ 756.5. that's with 275/40/R18. Pipelion, clearly your rear is bigger than mine. :wink

Pipelion

WOW , you people are almost as good as Centerpunch!!

Nota4re and AZGT and LEMANZ are all very very close.

Piccola is doing a different vehicle, unless she's sand bagging and owns a GT. So she's maybe right on for the Datsun. Piccola I gotta tell you "my ass is without question smaller than your's.

Piccola is high and Nota & AZGT are low a little bit regarding the Ford GT. Nota4re and AZGT are surprisingly close. So close I was amazed. A few percent. The only reason I know this number is from reading the Tire manufactures site plus having the figure being the same as how many people graduated from Delta (class size).

Keep the guesses and answers comming. More than one answer per is cool.

LEMANS, Don't you realize my posting may get even worse when I get the car!!!!!! No more regular GT Bull$hit. It will become PURE Ford GT BULL$HIT and then some!! :biggrin :biggrin :bs :biggrin

Allan

The offical goodyear figure is a whole number, ie. no decimals needed.

Closests wins. :thumbsup

Last edited:

Hugh

Mar 27, 2006
Pipelion said:
.................................................................................................
How many times does a "stock rear tire" rotate in one mile?
..................................................................................................

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Pipelion said:
Nota4re and AZGT are surprisingly close. So close I was amazed. A few percent. The only reason I know this number is from reading the Tire manufactures site plus having the figure being the same as how many people graduated from Delta (class size).

It shouldn't surprise you since everyone here knows the rear tires on their car are 315/407-19 (stock). Most people also know how to figure out rpm. Different formulas shouldn't vary that much either (I tried this tire 3 different ways & came up with 697.346, 697.35, & 697. Because there are many ways to figure this out, I'd venture to say that different people (including those who sell the tires) will give you different numbers for this same tire... :willy

I would have to agree w/Not4re & AZGT's answer over the # your manufaturer gave (which is probably 698-700), unless you are able to explain why yours is correct. :biggrin I'm not trying to be a smart ass (for once). I really would like to know how they came up with a different # from what the other 2 gave...

MJ

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
This is too "MENSA" for me. Next it will be how minutes will it take a GT to intersect a train going 60mph up a slope at a 14 degree angle from a dead stop with/without pulley modifications.

Hugh

Mar 27, 2006
Goddyear states 722 revs/mile.

However if you do the math:

1 mile = 63360 inches
Tire Diameter= 28.9 inches
Tire Circumference = (28.9X3.14) = 90.746 inches
Revs/Mile = (63360/90.746)= 698.21

Go figure! Perhaps Goodyear's figure takes into account the tire's compression due to vehicle weight as opposed to a tire simply mounted on a rim.

Pipelion

Hugh is not the winner yet.

I PMed him and yes the Goodyear site says 722 rev/mile.

The increase may be due to the tires increase in size while in motion.

If Hugh used the computer he's history. :thumbsdow

Allan

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Pipelion... if the tire size increases, the rpm decreases. The larger the circumference, the greater distance it can cover in each revolution, therefore needing less total revolutions. though I'm sure you already knew that... :wink (& yes, the 1st answer I gave is for my Z, not GT)

Pipelion

Piccola,

Like I sad, the tire gets Smaller at speed :biggrin :biggrin :bs

Pic, Did you ever watch the movie, 'DR Stange Love'?

There's a scene where Keenan Whinn tells Peter Sellers "if he distroys the pop machine to get change for the phone,

he'll have to answere to the Coca Cola Company. :biggrin :biggrin

Who am I to argue with Good Year Tire and Rubber's offical specs?

He he,

Allan

Last edited:

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
hey Allan with an "a" not an "e",

no I didn't see that movie. uhm... okay, read your 1st sentence again & think about why you need to decrease the psi in your tires when you go to the track. :rofl

my teachers could never answer 1/2 my questions either. don't feel bad. :wink probably time to move on...

MJ

Pipelion

Piccola,

Dr Strange Love is one of the best movies ever made(not just my opinion). It's funny crazy and politically funny, besides being an icon. Peter Sellers plays at least 3 different rolls.

You must see it at some point in your life!!!!!!!!

Also it is strage the math is about 3 percent off. Maybe the factory spec is concidering some wear? :confused

Allan

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Ok. How precise do you want?

A. Forumla is 2 times PI times the radius to give you the circumference in inches.

B. There are 5280 feet in a mile times 12 for inches.

Divide B by A and ............... Difference is PI rounding error.

How about my question to you

How many rotations would it be if the car were in 4th grear which has the one to one ratio instead of the overdrive from 6th gear?

Pipelion

AZGT,

You discribed your and my question as mensa or too mensa.

So I agree and answer.

722 :biggrin

The tire rotates the same per mile dispite gear selection except in first and very heavy pedal(smoke burn rubber).

Final answer.

Allan

PS Sorry AZGT, fj said mensa not you.

Last edited:

Pipelion

Hugh is the winner!

Hugh is hereby awarded 177,000 points for answering correctly. :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin He used manuals and no computer searches.

Congrats Hugh on your second win. Better go to Vegas and or get on a game show. :cheers

Allan

Hugh

Mar 27, 2006
I'm humbled. I guess if Harrison Ford ever took his GT to an HPDE he'd use number 722. :biggrin