Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC

Last edited:

Birdman93

GT Ordered
Dec 17, 2005
Iowa
$140,000 for a car that you can't drive? No thanks-I'd rather have the first GT off the production line-I met the guy and have pics of the car-Chassis #10

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
It will never be more valuable than one of the "Driveable" cars. I can't believe anyone would pay $140K+ for a Shell Car that doesn't work. I understand the whole concept car value thing but not this "Pile".

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
I agree

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
centerpunch said:
I think time will prove you guys wrong. Unlike the production cars, this is a historical object. Whatever it's worth now, it won't depreciate. And our cars will.

I think you are hitting the nail on the head on both counts. :cheers

Birdman93

GT Ordered
Dec 17, 2005
Iowa
If that's true-why did so many of the concepts and one-ofs go for a fraction of their construction costs?

The ONLY concept that did well at the auction was the Mustang II from 1963-a running model that fetched $480.000.

And as for true market value-only 4000 GTs in the world? In 10 years you'll see the prices start to go up.

Thunderbird Super Coupes are doing the same-10 years ago, there were 40,000 Scs running around-now there's less than 5000-price has gone up to half of dealer-and will go up more.

bradst4s

Oct 24, 2005
Birdman - what Mustang II concept are you talking about? There were only two Mustang concepts built in 1962 that I know of - one was just a clay mockup - the other a running prototype. Herb Misch (engineer) and Eugene Bordinat (designer) did the running prototype in 100 days. The running version is in the Henry Ford museum at least the last time I heard.
BradST4S

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
We really should try and keep things friendly. This is a great forum with supportive owners and members. Usually a cut above the other forums.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
saber said:
We really should try and keep things friendly. This is a great forum with supportive owners and members. Usually a cut above the other forums.

Thanks, well said and needed. I note this is the first thread where we have an edit by the moderator, and hopefully the last one. I would hate to see this place turn into the same trash pile as 99% of the other places.... which I no longer post on.

The Architect

Ergo..vis a vis...concordantly
Jan 1, 1970
The Source
We are going to keep things friendly. People are free to express virtually whatever opinion they like, but I have a short temper for bickering. There are too many constructive and friendly people here to waste the space with bad attitudes.

Stick around Birdman! It's everyone's forum, including yours.

P.S This is the last I expect we'll be hearing about it, right?

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
The Architect said:
We are going to keep things friendly. People are free to express virtually whatever opinion they like, but I have a short temper for bickering. There are too many constructive and friendly people here to waste the space with bad attitudes.

Stick around Birdman! It's everyone's forum, including yours.

P.S This is the last I expect we'll be hearing about it, right?
Thanks!!

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Mustang Styling Prototype

I think the Mustang prototype that Birdman was referring to was probably the 1993 (instread of 1963) Mustang Mach III prototype, which sold at the Christie's Auction at Ford Design Center a few years back. It was one of two running prototypes of the new SN95 platform, and was lot more radical than the production car would turn out to be. Originally, both were red, but, somewhere along the way, this one got repainted slime green. I thought the green was ugly, but it brought some serious money.

I think I'd go along with Centerpunch - this may not look like a deal now, espescially when you can almost buy a running GT for what they're asking, but, it IS a factory styling prototype, and one of only two. There are a number of collectors and museums who like these types of vehicles. Many museums don't care if the car runs or not - they are usually on static display. I would think that someday, this non-running proto will be worth more than the average running GT. Only time will tell.

regards,

Jeff

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
cobrajeff said:
I think the Mustang prototype that Birdman was referring to was probably the 1993 (instread of 1963) Mustang Mach III prototype, which sold at the Christie's Auction at Ford Design Center a few years back. It was one of two running prototypes of the new SN95 platform, and was lot more radical than the production car would turn out to be. Originally, both were red, but, somewhere along the way, this one got repainted slime green. I thought the green was ugly, but it brought some serious money.

I think I'd go along with Centerpunch - this may not look like a deal now, espescially when you can almost buy a running GT for what they're asking, but, it IS a factory styling prototype, and one of only two. There are a number of collectors and museums who like these types of vehicles. Many museums don't care if the car runs or not - they are usually on static display. I would think that someday, this non-running proto will be worth more than the average running GT. Only time will tell.

regards,

Jeff

welcome Jeff, good to have the SAAC registrar on board...
your evaluation is right on... great long term investment, I am sure it will be worth more in 20 years than the car. wish I had the space for it.