Ford expands 0% financing on hybrids to entire U.S.

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is taking a 0 percent financing promotion for its hybrid vehicles national.

Starting Thursday, customers buying a Ford Escape Hybrid or a Mercury Mariner Hybrid can finance the vehicles with Ford Motor Credit Co. at 0 percent for 60 months. Ford launched the 0 percent incentive in California and Washington, D.C., in March.

The national 0 percent program will run through July 5. Instead of 0 percent, customers also could choose a $500 down payment-matching incentive available on the hybrids.

The 0 percent program helped boost Ford's hybrid sales in California and Washington in March, Ford spokesman Monte Doran said. That gain was an impetus to taking the program national.

Ford is spending more to advertise and discount the Escape Hybrid this year. Sales have been slower than expected in some parts of the country, dealer and other sources have said.

Part of the problem, Ford admits, is that large incentives on the gasoline-powered Escape make the price boost to the hybrid larger than intended.

The automaker originally planned for a $3,000 price premium on the Escape Hybrid. But the gap between that and conventionally powered Escapes has been closer to $5,000 or $6,000, given rebates of as much as $3,000 on the standard model. The gasoline-powered Escape also is available at 0 percent financing for 60 months.

"Once you start incentivizing the regular Escape, it changes the price equation," Doran said. "So as part of our commitment to make hybrids affordable and take them mainstream, we thought this was a necessary step in that process."

Ford will promote the 0 percent incentive and an Escape Hybrid TV commercial featuring Kermit the Frog in a full-page ad Friday in USA Today.

The TV commercial has Kermit "hosting" the April 9 edition of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition." He will give an Escape Hybrid to a Texas family that also is getting a renovated house. Kermit first appeared for Ford in a Feb. 5 Escape Hybrid Super Bowl commercial.

Through March, Ford Escape Hybrid sales fell 2.6 percent from 2005 to 3,475 units. But including the Mariner Hybrid, which went on sale last fall, Ford Motor's total hybrid sales were up 7.3 percent in the first quarter of 2006.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
My opinion is dealers killed any initial interest consumers had with this car. Less than a year ago the prices in Miami area were 10k over msrp. We had to go with a Highlander. A partner of mine also went with a Toyota after getting the same baloney. Crazy thing is 4 months later they had the original car plus a few more just sitting there. I figured the dealer was collecting them along with their gt.

This is positive news for the consumer. Lets hope it stirs up interest- its a very nice little SUV.

Todays mpg on the Prius- 50.2---
The mpg on the GT---- priceless!

Manny #1418

Last edited:

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
actually alot of studies place the prius in the 30 mpg area

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
negative..go on the various Prius blogs, people are AVERGING 40 MPG with some gettting over 50.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
The worst I get is 48mpg. If I baby it I can get 51.

On ocassion for maybe 60 miles or so - 54 mpg, although that was the cars computer telling me.

Trust me, I drive 60 miles a day in the darn thing.
And yes the stickers on the window promise 58/60+ mpg. I believe that the way the mileage is calculated will be changing in the near future.

Manny

By the way our company farms and you have to see the looks I get at the fields when I arrive in my muddy prius. You think the comments we get on our gts' are interesting? Too bad I can't lift it and make it 4x4.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm thinking about turning in my Navigator and getting an Escape Hybrid. It'd be a huge change from the norm, but I'd feel pretty good in a domestic hybrid that gets 30mpg instead of 13.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You only get the real increase in mileage if you do city driving. Mostly highway stuff gives minimal benefit.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Anything is an improvement over this gas hog. I got 14.8 mpg back and forth to Florida from Detroit. And previously I had an XJ8 with poor mileage and an S-Type R with even worse mileage before that. So anything 25+ is a bonus(supposedly the hybrid gets in the high 20's).

I'd feel pretty good about encouraging hybrid sales too, even if they do end up a stop gap. Any rise in the popularity of vehicles using alternative energy sources is fine by me.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DBK, have you noticed worse highway mileage when it's cold? My F-150 gets at least 2-3 mpg less on the highway when it's cold, which surprises me. Now that it's warmed up in the Midwest, mine's finally picking up again. There's something in the manual about the auto transmission and cold weather. I've had 3 Escapes (non-hybrid) and they're very nice. Only complaints are lack of 5 speed transmission, small gas tank and loud at highway (>80mph) speeds (somewhat solved by Michelin SUV tires). The upgrade center shifter was a very nice change.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I'm with DBK...either I'm getting the Ford Hybrid or the Toyota...the Land Rover is up in three months and I am OVER that pig getting 10 maybe in the ciyt and 17 on the road...they have offered to pay the laST THREE payments if I buy a new Sport model that gets sligh;y better MPG at 14..no wqay I'm done..gas will be 4 bucks by winter...new sherifff in town...

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Escape Hybrid

I got an Escape Hybrid 14 months ago (22k miles on it now) and drive it more than anything else in the garage. It's an AWD model and gets 31-33 mpg around town. When you hit the highway at anything over 55 or so the mileage drops to 29mpg. The only draw back here in hot/humid country (Fla) is the AC. When you stop for a light the engine shuts down and the AC compressor shuts down also. When it's in the low 80's + the temp in the Escape varies too much and gets hot. So the fix is to use the AC Max engine always on position. Doing this takes the city mpg down to 27-28. Still not bad. However, this should not be a problem mid-states and north. And don't forget the tax credit come tax time. There's a bit of a culture shock when switching off the Hybrid to the GT tho'.

Last edited:

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Guys let me make anyone thinking of getting the Prius feel at ease- its an 11 gallon gas tank and it drives for over 500 miles- forget the city, highway stuff- it gets outstanding milage anywhere. The car is huge in the inside and rides like a dream.

Now, its not a grippy, exciting car-- It won't get the girls heads turning -- for that we have out GTs, etc.

Here---- let me put it how most would understand.

Manny goes to work in Porsche= 17.3 gallons @3 or $52 smackers
" " Prius = 4.5 gallons @ 3 or $13.5

Now, it's not as economically sound if you purchase economy car that gets good milage, or if your distances are small. Only real draw back- it's not American. (Although if memory serves me right the hybrid system on the Escape is Toyotas system)

Regards,
Manny

Just read previous post- the toyota s air is electronic- whatever that means--
it's just as cold whether engine is on or off. Did I mention you need no "keys"-- it is the car you will use --- It's just that easy to get in and go.

Last edited: