Ford emphasizes technology and new models for Europe

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/11372

I only posted this to the FGT Forum as I thought it interesting to see Ford still working with Ricardo on other projects. Perhaps others would find it interesting. SAE often has a different take on automotive news.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
J-Ventures, technology sharing with Ricardo, BorgWarner, GM, Toyota, et.al. can help create great product, but the part I like:

In a rousing address, Mulally said the company has transitioned from surviving to growing in the six years of the company's “One Ford” plan: “One Ford is the driver of profitable growth across all regions of the world. We are now going to accelerate the implementation of our One Ford plan in Europe; 43% of our European lineup now comprises global vehicles. This will increase to 71% in 5 years.”

Reduction in the total number of (global) platforms will drive absolutely huge improvement in ROI and earnings. Thank you - Alan!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The "One Ford" plan will help them comply with emissions in the US but will probably mean the end of performance cars and SUVs. I predict trucks will last because they serve a useful purpose, but will become smaller. That means the performance cars like the Mustang (esp. the GT500), Explorer, etc. with big V8s will be relegated to a smaller volume production so as to reduce their CAFE impact. Expect to see a cycle of the 80's where the Mustang II became a gutless wonder and couldn't get out of its own way.

The business model for performance in the US could shift to what Fiat did with the Viper- make it a division. Package it as a low volume entity. Not quite like Lambo, Ferrari or Aston Martin (they have a different market segment in mind) but closer to the high end Audis and Benzes.

This isn't a surprise - the hint is in the statement that the Mustang will eventually be a "world car" and be based on a euro-compatible chassis.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Sorry Tony, but you're wrong! You are definitely correct that there will be smaller volume of large V8's, but there is nothing close to the end of performance cars coming. People have been saying that since 2004, just as the performance car wars have not only heated up, but reached total absurdity. I have been telling people that if they like the current GT500 and the "recipe" for that car, they should buy one. That said, if you are a performance enthusiast, the next SVT Mustang in the pipeline is certainly nothing like a Mustang II, and it has me very excited indeed. And it is definitely not gutless.

They just introduced a 355 hp Explorer and my OEM Twin Turbo Flex family hauler bread box runs nearly the same quarter mile my V8 Mustang did just over 10 years ago. High end cars are getting KERS systems and supplemental electric motors. DCT systems are so fast that cars with 100 hp deficits are annihilating cars with traditional transmissions. I couldn't help driving around the 458 Spider thinking that the transmission alone would make you need 650 hp in a GT just to try and keep up. OEMs are throwing on R compound tires that pull 1g and last on the street. Exciting times for performance.

It also doesn't hurt that there's a renaissance of car guys near the top of Ford. Raj Nair just became the head of global product development and he is a MAJOR performance guy. Jim Farley is certaintly a performance car enthusiast and has his Boss Laguna Seca off to get a blower "just cuz."