Ford Builds the Mclaren MP4-12

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Am I crazy or is this car very similar to the Mclaren and the Ferrari as well. I suppose as we get closer to the ideal super car over time the designs will start to converge.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Thats how I see this new "GT". Their version of the McLaren. Yes, its very cool but it doesn't remind me of a Ford GT/GT40 as much as it does a Lambo or McLaren or even a Ferrari. It is very Aventadore-esque. Very sharp and angular.. It doesn't have the immediate classic and iconic recognizable curves of the GT40.

It is clear it drew its inspiration much more from the Enzo, 458, McLaren, LaFerrari than from the GT40. Its new and cool but its not classic GT40. Its the new latest and greatest which will be trumped again in years to come by slicker designs and motors.

The "Petunia" Ford GT/GT40 is iconic and is what it is and will not change and will remain desireable because it followed a classic design and now a classic IMHO.

I think the reality is the new "GT" will be unattainable except if your are a multi millionaire. Jay Leno will have one I'm sure and the members of the Ford family. The rest of us? Good luck.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Possibly, only much more badass and attractive. :wink

Hey wait, you can't go in and add that much more to your post after one comments on your original premise! :willy

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I vote "Waxer" for president. Well said my lad, well said...

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
I would love to hear Camillo's opinion/critique of the new car from a design perspective.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I would love to hear Camillo's opinion/critique of the new car from a design perspective.

Me too!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I wouldn't consider it a wise idea to do.

Comparing your own work to something not from you tells more about you and not what you are critisizing.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
2016 gt

Saw the car show photos this morning.

I like the look!

Yes agree it can not have the same flavor as the aluminum GT

But it could be a more efficient machine.
Lighter weight. With Smaller components to fit in a smaller package space.

I am having a hard time believing a 2016 model year timing?

Unless Ford is simply re-skining some other car.
It would be tough to do a good job. On a one year development cycle!

I wish them well.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I think anyone familiar with the GT40 and the GT would instantly recognize this as a Ford.

I love the look. If I were to be an instant critic, I would say that the front end is too conservative for the back end.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I think anyone familiar with the GT40 and the GT would instantly recognize this as a Ford.

I love the look. If I were to be an instant critic, I would say that the front end is too conservative for the back end.

Agreed

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
The new car takes "cues" from the GT40. Among many others. Recognizable as a Ford? Maybe? As a GT40? To some maybe/likely not to others. Badass? Yes. No doubt. Icionic? Not so sure.

The Petunia GT took its design inside and out from the GT40 to the exclusion of others because that's what was intended. There was/is no mistaking it for a GT40 by all. Bad ass. Yes. Also iconic.

Not intended as a knock on the new car. It is a beautiful modern interpretation with cutting edge tech.

It is not the "blue collar hero" as were it's two predecessors to quote Jeremy Clarkson.

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
Thats how I see this new "GT". Their version of the McLaren. Yes, its very cool but it doesn't remind me of a Ford GT/GT40 as much as it does a Lambo or McLaren or even a Ferrari. It is very Aventadore-esque. Very sharp and angular.. It doesn't have the immediate classic and iconic recognizable curves of the GT40.

It is clear it drew its inspiration much more from the Enzo, 458, McLaren, LaFerrari than from the GT40. Its new and cool but its not classic GT40. Its the new latest and greatest which will be trumped again in years to come by slicker designs and motors.

The "Petunia" Ford GT/GT40 is iconic and is what it is and will not change and will remain desireable because it followed a classic design and now a classic IMHO.

I think the reality is the new "GT" will be unattainable except if your are a multi millionaire. Jay Leno will have one I'm sure and the members of the Ford family. The rest of us? Good luck.

+1

Macman

May 13, 2013
Having driven the new McLaren 650s, if the Ford GT performs close to that with the looks of the GT it is definitely going to be a winner in my books.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Having driven the new McLaren 650s, if the Ford GT performs close to that with the looks of the GT it is definitely going to be a winner in my books.

I agree on that!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
The specs are very similar; 3000-ish lbs, 600-ish horsepower, 7-speed DCT, active aero and suspension. However, that's what's a little worrying; the new GT might not be a game changer, but just another entry into a crowded market (650, 458, Huracan). I'm hoping that Ford are sand-bagging the stats a little and the car will produce better performance than its competitors. Given that, the one huge plus in its favor is that its a FORD, so has a dealer network and hopefully better reliability than the Ferraris, Lambos, and Macs. I am 100% up for this car, hoping that the dust will settle and there'll be a sensible way of getting on the list without being gouged!

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Thats how I see this new "GT". Their version of the McLaren. It is very Aventadore-esque.

My exact thoughts. This car looks -way- too much like an Aventador from the front 3/4 view.

IMO Ford should have named this something else besides "GT".

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think the all of the cars represent the current state of the art in wind tunnel design, and of course having seen the other cars might have been driven in the direction of some aspects without having to blaze the trail, but in the end, I think the solution space would lead to similar looking vehicles. I have another photo that I will post in a separate topic.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
I love the car, I think that this is what the Original GT would have looked like if it were designed today, I agree it is not as retro, but it is intended to be a race car and compete with todays car.. very nice, lets hope they make enough so we could actually buy one.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I think the all of the cars represent the current state of the art in wind tunnel design...

The "wind tunnel" for this car was a computer.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The "wind tunnel" for this car was a computer.

I understand that - all CAD. Even structural modeling. There is no time to build hard models any more.

I'd like to know what kind of compute complex they have since eventually all of these models have to come together in one huge model.