Ford and Shelby announcing something today.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
They are unwrapping something at the New York Auto Show. GT500 please.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
:pop :pop :pop :party

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
What's the source of this information? A GT500 reveal would be nice as the ZL1 just broke cover.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
What's the source of this information? A GT500 reveal would be nice as the ZL1 just broke cover.

Team Shelby on FB.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Perhaps a post-title Shelby.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Joint announcement with Ford is in the title, if I remember the 15 Detroit announcements they were separate.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think it's a new hertz car?

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

ugh! :( I thought (hoped) we were way beyond this joint marketing with no value added BS.

Current view possibly tainted by original view that the first GT 350H was also marketing BS.

Sad. Marketing driven sadness.

I'd say "Poor Carroll," but he brought this stuff on, so no rolling over in your grave dude.

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
The nameplate/badging is crafted such that one might at first glance easily confuse this car with the current Shelby GT350.

Frankly, I think Carroll would have been proud to associate with the Shelby GT350 in a similar Hertz offering, but would have never signed-off on a lesser performance Mustang GT variant, esp. while the Ford factory has GT350 and R versions with higher levels of performance, are simultaneously in production

Carroll never impressed me as 'it's OK to be in second place' kind of guy.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
ugh! :( I thought (hoped) we were way beyond this joint marketing with no value added BS.

Current view possibly tainted by original view that the first GT 350H was also marketing BS.

I'd say "Poor Carroll," but he brought this stuff on, so no rolling over in your grave dude.

Dude, you realize this is a rental car right?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Dude, you realize this is a rental car right?

Doh! As was the original. At least the original started life as a GT 350, then they added the rental automatic.

Marketing BS. Anything for a buck.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

I'm not sure what the beef is.

Ford sells 140 Mustangs to Hertz (helps Ford's bottom line)

Ford Performance parts sells parts to (Hertz or Shelby American) (helps Ford's bottom line)

Cars go to Shelby American where Las Vegas workers install the parts (helps Shelby American's bottom line)

Cars go to Hertz Rental Fleet (helps Hertz' and local rental bottom line).

I don't see a downside.

Eventually when the cars are cycled out of the Hertz fleet they will be sold to a few lucky folks. It seems there is a market for a few folks that want a 1966, 2006/2007, and 2016.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
FWIW, the first Hertz Shelbys, after the initial 100 were ordered (and I think only 89 delivered) with 4 speeds, all went with the auto trans because many renters couldn't drive a stick, and/or they murdered the clutch. This necessitated a change in the carb: out went the 735 Holley, and in went the much smaller "hi po" Autotlite carb (which ironically was used in the Paxton GT350s because the Holley's would bog under some use with the SC), so the "watered down" edition is not really unprecedented. BTW, the 68 Hertz Sehlby Mustangs had a pretty tame 250 horse 302. By that time it was all aesthetic.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The 2016's are for all intents and purposes a process repeat of the 2006/2007. It is possible a few 2016 cars will be built with manual transmissions as specials for Hertz execs (and well placed franchise owners). That was done in 06-07, and the number between the two years is probably about 20 total out of 500 each year (1000 total). [I recall <10 for 06 and the magic number 13 comes to mind for 07]. They will be highly sought after.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'm not sure what the beef is.

Ford sells 140 Mustangs to Hertz (helps Ford's bottom line)

Ford Performance parts sells parts to (Hertz or Shelby American) (helps Ford's bottom line)

Cars go to Shelby American where Las Vegas workers install the parts (helps Shelby American's bottom line)

Cars go to Hertz Rental Fleet (helps Hertz' and local rental bottom line).

I don't see a downside.

Eventually when the cars are cycled out of the Hertz fleet they will be sold to a few lucky folks. It seems there is a market for a few folks that want a 1966, 2006/2007, and 2016.

Beef? It's an opinion, not a beef.

Really cool that a rental car has to get a big announcement. :/

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Think anyone has a matched set yet?

Leno?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
A GT500 reveal would be nice as the ZL1 just broke cover.

That's what I was figuring, too.

Oh well...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The Ford video has been replaced with one without the "Herts..." in the upper left.