fluid leak

machone

GT Owner
Nov 1, 2006
went to take the gal for a spin this am and found a fluid leak puddle at the front driver tire. It appears that fluid is dripping from above the the back upper shock area down onto the suspension arm onto the wheel. There appeared to be about 1 ounce of fluid on the floor. Has anyone experienced this same problem. Any ideas? Thanks Luis

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
do you have a transmission breather and or/ transmission cooler.
where are you located?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Mebbe 'shock went kapoot?

I don't remember where the brake lines run...where the fittings for same are ...but, that might be a possibility too.

(I'm assuming you mean the driver's side FRONT tire?) ("front driver[s side] tire"?) (I'm a little "dense".)

Last edited:

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Try taking the trunk liner out and see if anything is wet up above.

machone

GT Owner
Nov 1, 2006
still a mystery. Took trunk liner out with no singns of leakage. Bony I do have a tranny cooler but this is nowhere near my problem.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Did you have the A/C on? Could it just be condensation from the A/C?

If not water, what does te fluid look & feel like? Oil? Brake fluid? Color?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
opps, I misread, 'front driver' tire would have nothing to do with tranny leak...

sorry, I am off to take a reading comprehension course.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
opps, I misread, 'front driver' tire would have nothing to do with tranny leak...

sorry, I am off to take a reading comprehension course.

That's what happens when you have your main focus on Bouncy, oh illustrious sir.:biggrin

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
What color is it?

machone

GT Owner
Nov 1, 2006
Got under to take a look at this leak. It appears to be originating in the shock. Wet area extends to outer coil. The fluid appears slight amber/clear with really little smell of oil. really wierd. It just may be the shock. Has anyone had this problem?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Are you sure it's not window washer fluid? The overflow from the washer tank exits in this location. Most fluids are blue, but other colors are out there.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
There have been some shock failures...
How many miles, under warranty?

machone

GT Owner
Nov 1, 2006
fuel leak

Its definately some form of oil. Even I know what wiper fluid looks like. I'm in socal and still under warranty. Any orange county locals with good feedback on where to take this gal for warranty service Thanks Luis

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Got under to take a look at this leak. It appears to be originating in the shock. Wet area extends to outer coil... Has anyone had this problem?

Yes. A small number have. That's why I suggested it as a possible cause.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
........... in socal .............for warranty service Thanks Luis

I would sure like to know too!

machone

GT Owner
Nov 1, 2006
Had the gal flatbeded to Ken Grody Ford and the Gt tech found a faulty front shock to be the cause of the leak( you got it right empty). So far the service department at Grody has been excellent. They will be getting a new shock delivered overnight and hopefully get her back to me before the weekend.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Had the gal flatbeded to Ken Grody Ford and the Gt tech found a faulty front shock to be the cause of the leak( you got it right empty).

I'll be forwarding a bill for "diagnostics", sir! :lol :cheers

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
shock bottoming

with a ford gt lowered a bit i think it is quite easy to bottom front shocks with high speed and dips in highway although i have never experienced it on a track. any other experiences with shock bottoming?