First track day

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
I've had my GT for a month now, 350 miles. I'm going to CMP in Kersahw, SC Monday for my first track day. I'll get to spend some time with an instructor but not anyone with GT experience. Any tips would be helpful.
I know, be careful!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Track Tips

Enjoy Ur self.
Go at your own comfort level.
Watch the temp. gage.
Start w/lowered tire pressures.
Keep it rubber side down.
Take lots of pictures. :biggrin
Post your experience on The Forum.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Don't let an instructor drive your car. When first doing performance driving track days i was fed a line of BS. The instructor needed to drive my car to get the feel for it so he could show & teach me how to drive the track. Well this instructor downshifted too far, did a few 360's, flat spotted a set of tires, and would even pony up for the wash of my underware.

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Track day

Good advice, I'm sure there are people out their that would love to ditch their rice burner for a :thumbsup turn in a true American muscle car. :thumbsup

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I agree. Should be no need for an instructor to drive your car. But I would encourage you to be a passenger in their car...at least a few times. I have learned a lot watching how the more experienced drivers do it. Plus you will realize just how fast you (or someone more experienced) can take specific corners.
My advice: enjoy yourself and ignore other cars...by this I mean, don't let other cars distract you. There will be better drivers, so let them pass...don't just frustrate them in the straights. At my last track event, there was a BMW driver who was very good (had over 10 track events, I had been to 3) and he was very grateful for me letting him pass in the straights...in contrast, there was a guy in a C6 Z06 who refused to let anyone by him and consequently developed quite a few enemies. If someone is catching you in the corners, let them by on the straights. It's about having fun anyway. Oh yeah, by the 2nd day of the event, no one was passing me or even approaching my GT, in the corners or straights!!!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Treat it a bit gently with so few miles on the clock!

Motor circuits are a bit mesmerising, so be careful with how much speed you're carrying into the corners - there are no normal 'signals' as to how fast you're going. It's easy to find yourself taking a car like the GT into a corner at well over 100mph and then get out of shape!

I got myself all over the place in Le Mans this year - way too fast on one corner and then a mild panic of brakes, steering etc. I only just stayed on the track! :biggrin

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
funat50 said:
I've had my GT for a month now, 350 miles. I'm going to CMP in Kersahw, SC Monday for my first track day. I'll get to spend some time with an instructor but not anyone with GT experience. Any tips would be helpful.
I know, be careful!
Don't do anything really extreme there. Your car is still a virgin. Don't rough her up, or rip her apart. At 350miles, I'd take it to the track, do few warmup laps, wind it down, park it and get into a track car... really :bored

Wait at least to 1000miles and ideally an oil change, show some respect :bow

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Thanks for all the feeback. I fully intend to be conservative. I will be happy to wave better/faster drivers by, like golf, know when to pickup your ball and move on. I am mostly there to learn the processes and get an idea of how much I want to pursue the racing aspect. As far as speed, the GT "feels" much faster than my Porsche did at comparable speeds so I find myself being very cautious. Remember I'm "Funat50" not wild and crazy. I'll give a report upon my return.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Stefan kind of said what I was trying to say!

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I found that 27psi front and 34 rear when hot to be the best for a tight track that I was on.

Derry

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Derry said:
I found that 27psi front and 34 rear when hot to be the best for a tight track that I was on.

Derry

Derry

27 front psi hot seems very, very low.

Dave

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I was at the West track at Firebird in Phoenix for 4 days. It is a very tight track so it was better suited to lighter cars but anything more had severe understeer. It took 2 days to zero in on that setting. I started near 40 psi all around.

Derry

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
When coming out of turns be careful about "flooring it" like you would do with other cars. I did and immediately was backwards :willy Lots of power - go conservative and work up to it rather than agressive and tone down.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
just got an 06 gt.wow it is awesome! I have been racing since 1992 with emra,nasa,pca . I race a 1992 964 cup car.I am very eager to get my car on the track at a D.E. Watkins Glen is where I plan to go come good weather.My question is who has been to Glen in there gt ,with,what club and what kind of lap times has an experienced driver done? And of course ,how was it on the track? thanx, Ron

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Barondw has run the Glen I believe. Drop him a PM.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Barondw has run the Glen I believe. Drop him a PM.

Yes and Trackday also.

We do non-timed events only. You can time yourself but we don't. If you want more info plase PM with your questions.

Dave

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
is there a gt driving event at the glen?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
is there a gt driving event at the glen?

There are driving events at most tracks. Go to www.theglen.com
and check the schedule. Look for driving instruction schools.

Dave

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
Well, how'd it go?