First time bleeding the clutch.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Not that I have had many drives over the past couple of years, and I missed the GT Guys in Southern Maryland on a rainy Saturday, and I have clicked over 30,000 miles, so when the shifting began to get on the difficult side, the thought of a new clutch wasn’t so bad. Almost not being able to get the thing into reverse was the final straw. So, I did what I always do: studied the workshop manual, browsed the forum, and considered a clutch fluid bleed before going for the clutch. I could not locate the “bulkhead bleeder”, but the more important bleeder affixed to the transaxle housing was obvious. It was past sunrise west coast time, so I did what I should have done before getting started a couple of weeks ago on the radio removal, I called Bill, Shadowman, prior to beginning the task. His advice to check and fill the reservoir each bleeding cycle was appreciated. So, with the help of a trusted friend on the clutch pedal, the job was completed in minutes. I had a bit of trouble spotting the precise MIN and MAX fill mark lines on the left side of the reservoir (same as left side of the car), but now that I do know the fill levels, I can say the level at the start was below the minimum. Maybe after about 7 years and 30,000 miles this is to be expected. So, the clutch may or may not need to go in the immediate future, but the shifting feels like it is back to factory ease, and I suppose I simply better keep an eye out for any small leak. Thanks again Bill for taking a moment out of your day.

Pete S.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I can say the level at the start was below the minimum.

As a teenager, I remember adding brake fluid to one of my parents vehicles - and doing so again a couple of months later. All the while scratching my head as to where the fluid was going because I could never spot a leak anywhere. Shortly thereafter the car developed a horrible screeching sound.... the unmistakeable sound of brake pad rivets against a rotor. Lesson learned. A low brake reservoir was a clear indication that the pads were wearing - it just never occured to me. The systems is a closed system and as the pads wore, the brake caliper pistons were moving toward the rotor, which created more volume in the brake line, which brought the fluid level down. Pretty simple really.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
The systems is a closed system and as the pads wore, the brake caliper pistons were moving toward the rotor, which created more volume in the brake line, which brought the fluid level down. Pretty simple really.

"Simple" and ingenious. I’ve always admired the design of the square cut seal, allowing a brake piston to gradually extend further to accommodate pad wear, yet pulling them back ever so slightly so as to not continuously be in contact with the rotor.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I change the clutch fluid every time I change the brake fluid....generally once a year.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
I change the clutch fluid every time I change the brake fluid....generally once a year.

Good advice.

Aug 25, 2006
Not that I have had many drives over the past couple of years, and I missed the GT Guys in Southern Maryland on a rainy Saturday, and I have clicked over 30,000 miles, so when the shifting began to get on the difficult side, the thought of a new clutch wasn’t so bad. Almost not being able to get the thing into reverse was the final straw. So, I did what I always do: studied the workshop manual, browsed the forum, and considered a clutch fluid bleed before going for the clutch. I could not locate the “bulkhead bleeder”, but the more important bleeder affixed to the transaxle housing was obvious. It was past sunrise west coast time, so I did what I should have done before getting started a couple of weeks ago on the radio removal, I called Bill, Shadowman, prior to beginning the task. His advice to check and fill the reservoir each bleeding cycle was appreciated. So, with the help of a trusted friend on the clutch pedal, the job was completed in minutes. I had a bit of trouble spotting the precise MIN and MAX fill mark lines on the left side of the reservoir (same as left side of the car), but now that I do know the fill levels, I can say the level at the start was below the minimum. Maybe after about 7 years and 30,000 miles this is to be expected. So, the clutch may or may not need to go in the immediate future, but the shifting feels like it is back to factory ease, and I suppose I simply better keep an eye out for any small leak. Thanks again Bill for taking a moment out of your day.

Pete S.

Hi Pete

Thank you for the wonderful comments.

It is always great to hear from you and being able to be a part of your projects.

Takes care and thank you again

Shadowman