First Drive

nj1001

GT Owner
Jun 21, 2012
So here are my thoughts, literally:

That is such a beautiful car.
Kind of a pain to get into – oh geez, I’m getting old, aren’t I? why am I so nervous?? Maybe it’s because of all the posts I’ve read about how powerful this car is and how many guys have wrecked in it. Good grief, I feel like I’m 16 again and getting in my Dad’s car for the first time. Ok, couple of deep breaths; it’s just a car.
Pre-flight check: adjust seat, lock doors, mirrors –man, those side mirrors are tiny - rear view – I can’t see anything out of that! - -hopefully don’t need to, my belt, passenger belt – no passenger – probab a good thing; my manual shifting is rusty.

Man, that’s loud, but sounds so good – I really hope it passes emission. Why the hell do car designers put R next to 1st?? they should put it, I don’t know, on the roof or something. into 1st, find the catch - easy, easy, whoo hoo, didn’t stall! ok – let’s go. Just a nice easy spin around the subdivision. Not too bad so far. Still in 1st, though. Let’s pick up the pace, just to do a gear change. Hi – how are you. Yes, thank you. Ok – still in 1st. Hmmm – alright just a little faster. Ok, what is going on?? I am almost double the speed limit and don’t have to change gears. Oh man, I have to leave the subdivision, don’t I?

Alright – gates slowly opening – here come the butterflies again – no big deal – easy does it. It’s just a car. You’ve driven plenty of Ferraris, Lambos, and Porsches – hell, you have one. What’s the big deal?? Easy, easy, take your time… ok – 1st to 2nd – smooth, and that sound – wow. This is pretty sweet. I’m barely touching the pedal, though, which is weird… gentle turn onto the main road – just a straight line for a couple of miles, turn around and come home. Stop light – brake, shift from 2nd to 1st, brake – these are the longest shifts in the history of driving. I wonder how long a clutch lasts? More importantly, how much does it cost to replace one? I have a feeling I am going to find out soon and repeatedly. Oh well.
Hey – look at that beautiful girl. And, she’s smiling… at me? She is, she’s smiling at me – I thought I looked pretty good this morn… oh right, Ford GT. Nevermind.

Green light. Let’s get up to a very light jog. 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Huh, that was quick – I barely touched the pedal. How fast am I… 70?! Holy nuts! How am I going 70?? I’m in 3rd gear at 1700 revs! WTF - this is NOT just a car. This is a monster that wants to run! This thing is waiting for me to make a mistake so it can eat me!! Ok – it’s ooook. Just ease off the pedal…
Hi – yes, thanks. Why are there so many SUVs on the road today? This guy waving at me, the woman, everyone I just blew by without meaning to. And why does that SUV say Nissan Sentra on the back? how does that make sense – it’s an SU… wait... they’re all cars! How low does this thing ride?? What’s in this new guy’s hand – is that a phone? He’s swerving– what’s he doing?? He’s… filming me?! This is just weird now. Guy! Two hands on the wheel!

Quick red light, hard brake, shift, shift, please don’t grind, please don’t grind. Whew. Somebody waving at the Starbucks – do I know them? Whoa, that is a fat little kid. A miniature version of Chris Farley – cute little guy in a morbidly obese sort of way. No, sorry I can’t give you a ride.
Ok, heading back into the subdivision and still in one piece – success? Let’s just get home and put this beast away for the evening… why is there a concrete highway divider in front of my driveway?? That’s the curb!? Alright, slide in sideways – you can do this, you can do this, don’t stall, don’t stall – success!

This is supposed to be fun?? Good God, I’m exhausted from focusing – I need a drink and a nap.
I don’t know what my wife was thinking, allowing me to buy this thing… was this part of her plan all along?? Evil genius…
Nuts – I forgot to try the amazing radio. Next time... next time.
Screw the drink, I’m going to bed…

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
You forgot the "big smile". Congrats.

Vince H

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Expect some 1-2 catch when the car is cold.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Nicely done!

Clutch is easy, shifter is smooth, brakes are great! Yep you got yourself a FORD GT.

Didn't know that GT's had a radio. I love open window serenades.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Haha. Great account of the inaugural run. Just be sure you're starting off in 1st and not 3rd. That'll eat your clutch in very short order.

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
Ford makes a short shifter I recommend.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Get used to people swerving, popping out of sunroofs, running after you to take pictures, no you're not a "rock star", the car is!!! The car will do 62 mph in first gear, and yes, you barely have to touch the go pedal. I have a SEG (shit eating grin) every time I drive the car. After the drive, while "wiping it down", I still have a smile on my face. I don't care what other cars you have, this is something very special!!!

Congratulations, great description! And soooo true.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Excellent write up! Thanks for the laugh! It makes me think of my first ride.I was so nervous my palms were sweating profusely!
When my wife saw the car she asked me if I was going thru a mid life crisis kind of thing! I told her I been going thru that for 20 years!

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
Ha ha. "Whoa, that is a fat little kid. A miniature version of Chris Farley – cute little guy in a morbidly obese sort of way."

Congratulations on the first drive. Wishing you many more miles and smiles!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Didn't know that GT's had a radio. I love open window serenades.

Yeah, I didn't know either until I was driving with the windows down and had the radio (Mac) on and heard "Summer of 69" and decided to crank up the volume. I put it to max. I could feel the vibration and as I stopped at a stop light people were looking at me. The speakers handled max volume without going into over modulation. I was going to ditch it for a different radio with ipod and bluetooth but have held off. I might still do it but the sound out of that system is the best I've ever heard.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Congrats! Nice write up!

I clearly remember my first drive. The mirrors were so small.. Backing out of a driveway. Nothing but blind spots. What fun!!!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Congrats! Nice write up!

I clearly remember my first drive. The mirrors were so small.. Backing out of a driveway. Nothing but blind spots. What fun!!!!

Yep, this car is intended to go in one direction: Forward. If you need to look around or behind you you've already lost.

I remember something that Enzo said about why his cars didn't have mirrors: "I want the drivers looking where they are going not where they've been" (or something like that.)

The GT is one giant blind spot. Left side mirror is OK, but with the blind spot on the right and that tiny mirror you'd better give it a good accel to get forward before merging right.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Exactly - one big blind spot and forget backing up with any type of certainty...LOL.

Now, unless you're in Canada and your speedo is showing predominantly KM's/hr, not sure how you get to 70 in 3rd at 1700 RPM...so either you were too afraid to look carefully (can't fault you for that for the 1st time out), or you ARE in Canada or, you have a CDN car in the US and only think you're doing 70 mph, when in fact you're really doing 70 kmh...(43 mph). :)

So, which one is it? I think mine in 3rd at 70 mph would be around the 3400-3500 RPM range. If you are in KM's, then at 70 kmh in 3rd, you'd be at 2100 RPM or so.

If you pull 1700 in 3rd at 70 mph, you have a very tall gear ratio...and your car is very slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! LOL

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Really enjoyed your summary of your first drive. Brought back memories of driving mine home in the rain on I-45 in Houston. Not for the faint of heart. BTW I believe there is a thread on the forum of "first drives."

Welcome to the group and we look forward to reading more from you, and meeting you at a Rally.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Fun read! Welcome and congrats!

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
It's not a Buick, but I don't have a problem driving visibility wise. I adjust the L & R mirrors for cars approaching from the rear in the typical blind spot and the center fills in most of the gap in between.
Now backing took some practice, those diffusers are low enough to scrape a ~7" high parking hard stop.
So, the second day I brought the car home I set up a backing excercise using two 12" X 12" X 2 1/2" pavers (just in case I backed too far) representing back-stops in my driveway.
Adjusting the drivers side mirror down and back to focus on the area where the rear tire meets the road you can also see the backing path and the pavers at the same time. After 2-3 get-out-and-looks I had a real good Idea how far was far enough to comfortably back into a spot without getting too close but in far enough not to be nose out.
Anyway, it worked for me...................
Best, Bret.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Perfect summation of the first drive. Certainly distinguishes the experience from driving a Camry, doesn't it? Thanks for the great post.

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Hy NJ1001.

I loved your post, your writing and your tasty self-mockery.
It feels good, how we become children face our big toys.

I had almost the same feeling discovering my GT a few weeks ago.
I was pretty anxious. As if I slipped for the first time in the bed of a woman known for her strong character lovers. I was afraid at the time to be disappointed, especially, not to be up, and also it consumes me, like some female insects.
In fact, she was so sweet and voluptuous as my eyes still shine.

Congratulations to you.

Friendships France.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
So here are my thoughts, literally:

...why am I so nervous??...Good grief, I feel like I’m 16 again and getting in my Dad’s car for the first time. Ok, couple of deep breaths; it’s just a car.

You'll probably understand, then, why it literally took me a full week to calm down enough to fire #1079 up, head down the driveway, and take it out onto the street amongst the unclean masses. :willy:willy:willy

'Just a car? Uuuuuh, no. Not to me anyway! :wink

Congrats, sir! :thumbsup:thumbsup