Final Drive Ratio Change

texasgt

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2005
I've searched, but couldn't find anything in the last few months. Have any of you gone to a numerically higher rear axle ratio?

Any idea where to source the gears?

I think it would make the car much more enjoyable.

Thanks,

Mark

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I've searched, but couldn't find anything in the last few months. Have any of you gone to a numerically higher rear axle ratio?

Thanks,

Mark

WHAT???! You mean you'd jeopardize "the magic number"???!:rofl

What about going to "the source" for your higher gears - Ricardo???

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
This was investigated quite extensively, especially by the boys from New Zealand. It ain't possible or worth it. Look at the old posts.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
I thought the same

With the whipple i think something could be changed

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
This was investigated quite extensively, especially by the boys from New Zealand. It ain't possible or worth it. Look at the old posts.

Just took a glance at some older post on this subject, (some excellent posts)

Are you guys telling me that there is absolutely nothing that can be done to change the ratios at this time or even in the near future ?
Very disappointing.

One of my favorite cars I had in the late 80s was a 930 Turbo , It ran a 13.03 in the 1/4 mile all stock , the only thing I changed was a borla exhaust / fuel enrichment kit and GEAR RATIO , car ran consistent 12.01 ets.
Track and all around street driving was (Jeremy would say) astonishing.

Gear ratio change would be the best performance upgrade we can do to the Ford GT.............. Hope someone comes up with something

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
3.9 to 1 RATIO
This ratio will be availible soon,this will be the only ratio riccardo are making,it will be availible from 'STILLEN' soon, ie few months
I also know where there are 2 complete transaxles with 3.9 ratio's in them from the original test/development program 1 is new 1 is used

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Alternative to gear change

Thanks,

Mark

A Heffner pulley and tune will get you where you want to be for a lot less $$$, IMHO:banana

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
A gear change as suggested is usually beneficial when not enought engine torque/hp is available, and more torque mutiplication is needed.

If, instead of spending $ on the transaxle gear change, put on a Whipple you will have massive power everywhere, and 1st gear won't feel so tall. With the new sc you can fry the tires all throughout 1st gear. Then if you want more performance, stickier tires are the next step to plant the power.

I have an Subaru Sti, and with th stock 300 hp the 6 speed gearing felt fine. Now that it have over 600 whp, the gears are way to short and I feel like I'm constantly shifting trying to keep up with increased engine power.

With increased hp/tq 1st gear does not feel too tall.

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
A gear change as suggested is usually beneficial when not enought engine torque/hp is available, and more torque mutiplication is needed.

If, instead of spending $ on the transaxle gear change, put on a Whipple you will have massive power everywhere, and 1st gear won't feel so tall. With the new sc you can fry the tires all throughout 1st gear. Then if you want more performance, stickier tires are the next step to plant the power.

I have an Subaru Sti, and with th stock 300 hp the 6 speed gearing felt fine. Now that it have over 600 whp, the gears are way to short and I feel like I'm constantly shifting trying to keep up with increased engine power.

With increased hp/tq 1st gear does not feel too tall.

What kind of cost could the gear change be, any idea . Labor+Parts

I was thinking > a pulley/tune/exhaust and a GEAR RATIO change would cost less then a whipple and out perform a whipple change.

Last edited:

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
What kind of cost could the gear change be, any idea . Labor+Parts

I was thinking > a pulley/tune/exhaust and a GEAR RATIO change would cost less then a whipple and out perform a whipple change.

While I have no data about cost for a gear change, I strongly suspect it would be quite expensive IMHO.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
:thumbsup
3.9 to 1 RATIO
This ratio will be availible soon,this will be the only ratio riccardo are making,it will be availible from 'STILLEN' soon, ie few months

Somewhere I wrote about ratios (with a little about mathematical determination of ideal ratio). From memory (too lazy to look it up) I think the 3:90 seemed to be ideal. Glad to hear they are coming out with it. Interested to see what the cost is to have it installed.

If, instead of spending $ on the transaxle gear change, put on a Whipple you will have massive power everywhere, and 1st gear won't feel so tall.

And then when I thought further about gears and reality set in, I was not quite so sure. They do seem tall at the stop light, etc. Shorter gears would make general around town driving easier. However, when a stock GT is pushed and runs in the 3+ second 0 - 60 range with the high gears it has, dropping the gears significantly to the 3:90 means you better be damn well ready to shift out of first REAL FAST because you're going to be red-lining in the 2 second range. Traction will also then be a issue. Problem is, this ain't your father's Buick. Compound that with any performance upgrades, and you may just as well get it rolling in first and go right to second. In that case you tend to be back where you started (unless you want to pull tree stumps). So, not really sure if it would help or not, unless you are just going for groceries. :thumbsup

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Well, I think there are many ways to skin a cat.

Hope that there hasn't been too much negativity to your idea. Getting more performance, its the best goal. Lets think about it some more and discuss tomorrow. Good luck.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I have some custom 18" wheels with bfg 345/30/18 tires. They are only 26.15" tall. The rear axle ratio stock is 3.364. With the tires I now have, the effective rear diff ratio changes to 3.72. I am located in LA, If anybody want to borrow the tires and wheels to see how a 3.72 feels, they are available. My car is heavily modified and currently not running.

texasgt

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2005
That would be an interesting experiment, assuming you could isolate the feel of the effective gearing change from the ride height and handling.

I would certainly give it a try but I am far away in Texas. Have you driven your car with these wheels?

Thanks

I have some custom 18" wheels with bfg 345/30/18 tires. They are only 26.15" tall. The rear axle ratio stock is 3.364. With the tires I now have, the effective rear diff ratio changes to 3.72. I am located in LA, If anybody want to borrow the tires and wheels to see how a 3.72 feels, they are available. My car is heavily modified and currently not running.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Unforunately, I haven't.

In an SAE report (2004-01-1252) that Ford wrote concerning the gt's power train, a graph is shown measuring the "tractive effort" in lbs/per. The chart shows how much force is applied at the rear wheels in each gear. I was shocked, I had no idea that in 1st gear at peak power 3745 lbs/ft is being put down.

This is with everything stock. The power level takes into account flywheel tq, transmission gear ratio, differential gear ratio, and tire radius. In 6th gear the max "tractive effort" drops to around 900 lbs/ft.

The reason that I thought this might be interesting is that with a rear differential gear change to 3.90 the peak forces would increase, but as the gearing gets numerically higher (with more torque multiplication ) the time that you can spend in each gear is reduced.

Maybe somebody with better computer skills can post copy of the chart. I wonder how much peak "tractive effort" Joe's car is making?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I wonder how much peak "tractive effort" Joe's car is making?

Nobody's made a calculator that can DEAL with a number that high yet!:rofl

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
i really dont know about tractive effort but i will tell you that my first gear is super short now... and so is second 3rd is what my first used to be stock...

joe

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
That's what I was talking about a few posts ago. As power increases, the need to use a higher numerical rear differential (3.90) diminishes. And I would guess that if Joe had his druthers, he would prefer a numerically lower, say 3.00, or maybe even lower.

On a stock car 1st gear feels to tall, but for Super Joe, the stock gearing is too short. Who woulda thunk?

So, if your going to stay with stock hp, than maybe a 3.90 would be quicker. When hp is upgraded, then the need for shorter gearing diminishes.