FGT Oil Pump Drive Belt

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
With my car approaching 10 years in service, I thought it made sense to replace the oil pump drive belt with a new one out of an abundance of caution. Has anyone found an aftermarket source for these belts as OEM are $165.00 ... an absurd price for a small notched rubber belt.

I thought only Ferrari ripped off their "clients" with consumable part prices like that!

usmcfred

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
the oil belt is a very uniquely designed belt that has a grip pattern that would be very hard to duplicate. I think Ford contracted the right source for that belt because when you think about it, is the heart of the engine that keeps the fluid flowing. I agree that at 10 years old of hot and cold temperatures regardless of the mileage is a good idea to replace. you should be able to pick the belt up for around $130-135. jmo

I would not replace it with anything but OEM. And, I would change it according to Ford's schedule (every three years if not driven, or 30K miles). If that belt goes away, so does your motor ....

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
zactly- what he said!

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
A "nice" Ford Parts Guy should sell it to you for around $130.

Check Northwood. (Scott) I think he sells a combo of all three belts for a good price.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Would be interesting to know if these OEM belts provisioned thru Ford are old stock sitting on shelves circa the time our cars were built.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Last two we've had were dated 2010. I don't see an issue with parts correctly stored and not under any stress - at least for a few years yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I can't praise Northwood enough. He saved my bacon at Carlisle with belts.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Thanks for everyone's input. I'll give Northwood a call.

Can someone advise Northwood contact information and its location.

usmcfred

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I don't have it handy but he is on ebay

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Seems like this was a forum topic a while back but can't recall the discussion: If the GT motor loses oil pressure, is there ANY kind of electronic action taken besides the needle on the gage going to 0 and the yellow engine idiot light? a warning chime, ignition cutout? I'm guessing the layers wouldn't allow you to shut down the motor and lose power steering and brakes, but ultimately the result is the same anyways after a minute of running without oil.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The engine will keep on running. :ack

I have 2 GM vehicles that if the oil pressure is too low the fuel pumps cut off unless the starter motor is engaged. I think is a safety feature in case of an accident where the motor dies the fuel system isn't being pressurized. The FGT handles this case with an inertial switch located in the passenger footwell.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...I'm guessing the layers wouldn't allow you to shut down the motor and lose power steering and brakes, but ultimately the result is the same anyways after a minute of running without oil.

As long as you are in gear, you shouldn't lose power steering if the engine was shut down, as it continues to turn over, thus running the power steering pump.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I have one, recently purchased that I will not be using. If interested PM me for a less than retail bargain. I'll have a few other items to sell soon as well, just have not had the time to post yet. Hopefully this weekend.

Drive belt sold.

Last edited:

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Does anyone have the part number handy for the oil pump drive belt? The parts department at my dealership has a difficult time understanding belts for the GT and I don’t want to end up with the wrong belt this afternoon.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
We call them a tractor tire belt. They are commonly used in lots of applications and Ford used them so they didn't have to have pulleys with flanges on them to keep the belt from riding off the pulleys and they give a better surface area of grip compared to a tooth pulley.

IMO Anyone that owns a 1/4 million dollar car and complains about a $165 possible wear item that may NEVER go bad or possible need to be replaced every 10 years or more should probably sell their 1/4 million dollar car and buy something less aggravating than $165.00. LOL

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Here you go: 4G7Z-6B651-AA

Ask for a part number, get a lecture. haha.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
We call them a tractor tire belt. They are commonly used in lots of applications and Ford used them so they didn't have to have pulleys with flanges on them to keep the belt from riding off the pulleys and they give a better surface area of grip compared to a tooth pulley.

IMO Anyone that owns a 1/4 million dollar car and complains about a $165 possible wear item that may NEVER go bad or possible need to be replaced every 10 years or more should probably sell their 1/4 million dollar car and buy something less aggravating than $165.00. LOL

Thank you Xcentric, lol.

BMF - I couldn't agree more. I've owned my Tungsten 5 years now, and the cost of maintenance even with a $165 belt is laughable. One of many things I love about the GT.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I can't praise Northwood enough. He saved my bacon at Carlisle with belts.
He did the same for me (at Carlisle) with other parts!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Part search shows "discontinued." Maybe that number has been superseded. Anyway, here's one on ebay.