GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Red Finish Line BR__4187-Nov08-13.jpgRed Hot Track Exit BR__4300-Nov08-13.jpg

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
What a beautiful GT you have. Just gorgeous.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
It is a beautiful car, and what I really love is that even when doing these speed events where there are lots of other cool cars, this one still stands out. I get a fairly constant stream of other drivers and spectators coming by and saying softly "this is the one".....yeah, I understand....lol

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Awesome Ross!
I was going to hit this event thEn I went a tore my right Achilles tendon last week. Surgery on Tuesday.
Glad you got your gal on the track!

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Hey Kevin,

Yeah it was a blast. I don't plan to do a ton of these, but this is a track I've won SCCA races on and I just had to drive that banked corner in a car like this. I wasn't watching, but the gf said she saw 160 through turns 1 and 2. That was cool. The car stuck like glue.......

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Looking good Ross.

Awesome Ross!
I was going to hit this event thEn I went a tore my right Achilles tendon last week. Surgery on Tuesday.
Glad you got your gal on the track!

Sorry to hear, Kevin. Who's doing your surgery?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Yeah Ross the GT in the super speedway turn is hard to beat. Maybe we can get some GTs out there in the spring.
Ed, my buddy Tom Knapp at SMOG in Santa Monica will take care of me. Do you know those guys?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Yeah Ross the GT in the super speedway turn is hard to beat. Maybe we can get some GTs out there in the spring.
Ed, my buddy Tom Knapp at SMOG in Santa Monica will take care of me. Do you know those guys?

No, don't know him. Don't know too many of the 'pods down there but thought there was a small chance I'd know or heard of your guy.
Surgery is pretty straightforward, but unfortunately for you the, recovery sucks in terms of time. Will assume that he's going to restrict you from driving until at least the beginning of the new year if not longer.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks for the good news buddy.:bored

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I ruptured both Achilles. Left then right. Just casting w/o surgery is an option. Less risk of in infection. You will be about 6 months out for recovery with a full rupture either way. Been there (2x's) done that (2x's).

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Best of luck with the surgery. I'm sure someone on this forum will post something about a "walking boot" adapter they have used in the past to drive their GT after achilles surgery....probably one made out of carbon fiber! :facepalm:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Thanks for the good news buddy.:bored

Sorry Kevin :( I assumed he already discussed recovery time with you. Casting is an option as Waxer said but only if your rupture is FRESH, as in 48 hours ago fresh. Infection risk is ZERO, but the risk of re-rupture is higher. Either way, you're ability to drive is going to be restricted for a few months. Perhaps not exactly 6 as every surgeon's protocol and every patient's recovery is a bit different.
Sorry for the thread jack but one our own is going under the knife! Good luck, Kevin. You'll do great!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Man, the Achilles and meniscus viruses sure seem to be 'going around' these days. It's like a bloody epidemic.

('Twould appear my semi sedentary lifestyle just may provide me with a natural advantage where those bugs are concerned...like virtual immunity to both!)

'Sounds as though you're going to be in good hands, Kevin. Hang in there, buddy! :wink :thumbsup

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
So sorry to hear of your mishap, Kevin. Think positive, and get well soon.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Man, the Achilles and meniscus viruses sure seem to be 'going around' these days. It's like a bloody epidemic.

('Twould appear my semi sedentary lifestyle just may provide me with a natural advantage where those bugs are concerned...like virtual immunity to both!)

'Sounds as though you're going to be in good hands, Kevin. Hang in there, buddy! :wink :thumbsup

Or maybe all of the quinolone-family antibiotic prescriptions...

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Or maybe all of the quinolone-family antibiotic prescriptions...

I think the average 'advanced' age of this group is a more likely cause rather than the off chance everyone is taking Cipro:)

Yes, I did it. I called us 'old'. Myself included!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks for the well wishes fellas.
Man that first GT drive will be awesome.....

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I think the average 'advanced' age of this group is a more likely cause rather than the off chance everyone is taking Cipro:)

Yes, I did it. I called us 'old'. Myself included!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I didn't realize the epidemic EP was referring to was regarding forum members. Never been to a rally, so I don't know how old all of you folks are. I've been in practice 7 years. I've seen more than a few ruptures where FQs were a factor. Given that the ruptures can develop years after the abx course, it can be hard to prove the association, but I suspect that in many cases, that potential cause is never explored. But like you said, especially if you are talking about older folks, they have plenty of other reasons for rupture to occur. What do I know; I'm just a dermatologist... But I do have to manage abx as much as anybody.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2921747/

I learn stuff everyday from this forum.

I have taken some of this stuff before. Maybe it is good thing I'm still under 60.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I didn't realize the epidemic EP was referring to was regarding forum members.

I wasn't specifically referencing forum members in particular, Doc. 'Was referring to the 'condition' in general. I personally know 3 people of various ages who've gone thru this in the past couple years. :frown

(An aside: One of my daughter's kitty cats went thru it twice!)