Fastest quarter mile times

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
2200 miles, Accufab TB, Kenne Bell snout and 2.75 pulley, SCT tune and Accufab X pipe. With more runs felt i could have possibly done 11.2 and 130 or more.

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
while you're on the subject, is sandbagging to avoid an 11.5 also against the NHRA rules?

Also for what its worth, I've seen more people get away with doing 140mph+ by taking off slow than breaking the 11.5 barrier.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
californiacuda said:
Mods include ....Pirelli Pcorsa 345 19 rear tires, prepped track.

Did you fit the 345 PZero Corsa on the regular wheels ? Or what wheels did you mount.. I guess these are the PZeros for the MC12, right !?

Thanks

Stefan

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
Stock tires, and BBS wheels! Lots of rubber down on track and traction wasn't to bad!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
oskie100 said:
Stock tires, and BBS wheels! Lots of rubber down on track and traction wasn't to bad!
Oskie,

I don't get it.... I have 315/40 19, and you !? 345's :eek ???

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
The tires are the stock 315/40 19 goodyear's! Sure wish i could have had a few more runs. Fun stuff.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
oskie100 said:
The tires are the stock 315/40 19 goodyear's! Sure wish i could have had a few more runs. Fun stuff.
So where did the Pcorsa story from Californiacuda come from !? Did he mount these in 345 19 format by any way ?

Accufab

Mar 14, 2006
Lawyers, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em (or so I'm told).

An important thing about drag racing for the track owners and track managers, is that they are insured against liability if someone gets hurt or killed, either on the track while racing, or running over some kid in the pits or in the parking lot. There is only one (1) insurance company that covers drag racing and if the track loses it's insurance, it is out of business. The "legal minds" and the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) have come up with a set of safety standards and for better or worse, have to live by them. One of these standards is a mandate that any vehicle that runs a 11.49 (or quicker) elapsed time is required to have a NHRA approved roll bar, a 5-point safety harness, and a SFI approved fire jacket. There are other requirements too and these get into the gray areas of reality. For instance, at 11.49 all vehicles must have an SFI approved flywheel, clutch assembly and a flywheel shield. This is to keep the flywheel and clutch from winding up in your lap. Now, I know what you are thinking. This may be a potential problem if you were driving a Corvette or a Viper but the GT driver is not sitting anywhere close to the flywheel and clutch, hence zero danger from flying parts. This type of logic may be obvious to a GT owner but (unfortunately) not to a lawyer, if you can believe that (believe it).

Then we have the little problem concerning the roll bar. There is NO way to install a NHRA legal roll bar in a GT. A legal roll bar consists of the main hoop, braces taht go forward to the floor, and braces that extend rearward to the frame. To do this, holes need to be cut through the rear bulkhead behind the seat. However, that bulhead is a load bearing piece. The entire rear of the car (chassis, suspension, engine, etc.) is connected to that bulhead. This is the big catch 22 with the GT. To stiffen it up with a legal roll bar, the vehicle would need to be made weaker where it counts the most, the whole rear assembly. Poke holes in the rear bulkhead and it is instatanly made weaker. As you know, the entire front and rear of the chassis is connected to the front and rear bulkheads. The "cocoon" where the driver and passenger sits is an all encompassing "strong box". NHRA does not recognize this, or rather, the legal team does not, and this is why there is a conflict in this area. the Ford GT is the ONLY American vehicle built around this "strong box". It should get a waiver for NHRA competition (sans roll bar), but we all know that waivers are hard to come by, unless they are requested in writing from the manufacturer, with money wrapped around them, or at the very least, a dozen Ford F-350's or Mustangs for the NHRA management, to "drive around and evaluate", LOL.

californiacuda and myself met with NHRA officials in this endeavor, showed them a GT up close, but were unable to get them off of their position. Greg, evr the business man, did threaten to purchase the NHRA and fire all of those that said "no way" but as of yesterday, he hasn't done it. Maybe next week.

Last edited:

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Went to the track Saturday at Mir raceway in Maryland for fun Ford Weedend I like Oskie only got 1 run. I was lined up next to a racecar and couldn't hear my car rev and I spun the tires (2.19 60') which is a terrible leave, if you race you will know that, but after peddling first gear the rest of the run was excellent as I ran a 11.4 at 135 mph. The only modification to the car is the Heffner tune and a 2.7 pulley Jason sold me, stock tires, stock everything else. I will be going out again in a week or two when we rent the track and I am sure the car will be well into the 10's and I will do it with the stock tires! I was really impressed with the pulley and tune I got from Jason as it picked the car up almost 10 mph through the traps and my et 11.4 was better with the 2.19 short time spinning than it was with a good leave 1.89 11.5et stock. Very happy with the added power!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You'll easily surpass that Jamie. Awesome MPH already though! I'm sure you already know, getting 10's will be easier said than done because you can't peddle the clutch like you would a drag car, and thus using a bit more of a dump-clutch technique will kill your 60 ft. Good luck on the 10's!

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
jamie said:
Went to the track Saturday at Mir raceway in Maryland for fun Ford Weedend I like Oskie only got 1 run. I was lined up next to a racecar and couldn't hear my car rev and I spun the tires (2.19 60') which is a terrible leave, if you race you will know that, but after peddling first gear the rest of the run was excellent as I ran a 11.4 at 135 mph. The only modification to the car is the Heffner tune and a 2.7 pulley Jason sold me, stock tires, stock everything else. I will be going out again in a week or two when we rent the track and I am sure the car will be well into the 10's and I will do it with the stock tires! I was really impressed with the pulley and tune I got from Jason as it picked the car up almost 10 mph through the traps and my et 11.4 was better with the 2.19 short time spinning than it was with a good leave 1.89 11.5et stock. Very happy with the added power!

Excellent results!!

BlackStorm

Sep 7, 2006
Houston, TX
jamie said:

That is a great time for having that high of a 60'! :cheers