Fake it to make it

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I've seen a few grainy, blurry pics of this car around the internet and it always looked off to me. Found this one today.

11906325_391962620998894_311801902_n.jpg

Came across this video which sealed the deal. Skip to around :50 As the title would indicate, probably from South America? Brazil, perhaps?

[video=youtube;XdYs59V04js]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdYs59V04js&index=1&list=WL[/video]

The overall shape and some of the details, including what look to be authentic optional BBS wheels, albeit with tiny fake Brembo rotors, give it the appearance of a GT. But the proportions are all wrong and as the pic shows, the interior is a disaster.

I wonder if the owner actually tries to pass it off as real.

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
Looks real, except for driver's side door glass.

Dolph

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Looks real, except for driver's side door glass.

Dolph

From that one picture alone:
1) door sill is too wide
2) bumper is longer than the rear fascia
3) I don't even know what's going on with that rear diffuser
4) rear rotors are way too small
5) that steering wheel?!?!?
6) the chassis overall looks too small/short. The stock 19" rear wheels accentuate that fact; they look like DUBS
7) it has one of those fin antenna on the roof! lol
8) at 1:44 in the vid, looks like velocity stacks in the engine bay and it has TWO fuel filler doors.

I could go on and on. Just to emphasize at cursory glance, even from an owner, it looks real. And to the untrained eye, no one would likely question it.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. You're right it's someone's homage. As long as they are not posing it to be authentic and it makes them happy.

Vince H

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Artist's license - looks like a painting to me....

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Everything is way off...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. You're right it's someone's homage. As long as they are not posing it to be authentic and it make them happy.

Vince H

+1

Superformance/CAV/RCR (et al) are all "imitiation" GT40s, too...they're just faaaaar closer to the real thing looks-wise.

JMHO...

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
There's a company here in the US that pulled molds from a GT and is selling kits. I won't say who it is because I presume Ford might be upset if they knew, but I'll be able to visit their shop during the Rally 'cos they'll be in the neighborhood. Maybe this car is one of theirs?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
There's a company here in the US that pulled molds from a GT and is selling kits. I won't say who it is because I presume Ford might be upset if they knew, but I'll be able to visit their shop during the Rally 'cos they'll be in the neighborhood. Maybe this car is one of theirs?

If it's the company I believe you're referring to, their cars look darned near identical to the Robertson Racing GTs...and are designed to accept just about any power plant one might want to drop in 'em.

Their GT is faaaaaar more accurate 'proportionally' than the car in the above pic/vid.

(Edit: To your other point; I'd bet the farm Ford knows all about their car.)

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Is it based on a Fiero?

Ed

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
If it's the company I believe you're referring to, their cars look darned near identical to the Robertson Racing GTs...and are designed to accept just about any power plant one might want to drop in 'em.

Their GT is faaaaaar more accurate 'proportionally' than the car in the above pic/vid.

(Edit: To your other point; I'd bet the farm Ford knows all about their car.)

Correct. Looks near identical to the Robertson car because that's the car they pulled the molds from, they sponsored the team.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Correct. Looks near identical to the Robertson car because that's the car they pulled the molds from, they sponsored the team.

I know! I just wasn't going to 'volunteer' that info! :biggrin

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Yeeesh.

Attachments

• 11910275_886880204713524_1089481910_n.jpg
    11910275_886880204713524_1089481910_n.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 97

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Geez, the rear lights look huge. I think the side mirrors & headlights look oversized as well. It's kind of like looking at our cars in a fun house mirror at the fair!

Ed

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
It could be worse....

this-is-the-most-insulting-ford-gt40-replica-ever-made_1.jpg

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Now THAT is a nice Fiero!