Failed Gauges Redux

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Hello Forum members.

I'm finally ready to replace all my failed gauges on my '05 GT. I've acquired new fuel, engine temp and boost gauges from Autometer. I now need to source a new speedometer.

Does anyone have a good (best price) source they can recommend?

Also, some time ago, there was a tachometer and speedometer repair service offered by one of the forum members. Is that still available? I think I remember reading the repair service was discontinued due to a quality issue with their supplier. I've searched the forum but could not find the post to confirm. Can someone in the know please update me?

Thanks in advance!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You are correct. The two big gauges are wherever you can find them.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I bought a tach and speedo thru a dealer. The tach arrived, the speedo is on backorder with no official ETA. Unfortunately, you have to pay up front to stay in Que.

Cooltech LLC was doing the remanufacturing. Too bad about their supplier. I will let him elaborate.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Your only choices for the big gauges are Ford, which have the same chance of failing as the originals or to replace the entire bezel with Speedhuts.

Check Tasca Ford for pricing and availability of the tach and speedo. They will likely beat your local dealer even with shipping.

Last edited:

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Thanks guys for the responses.

I'll check Tasca Ford and update everyone on what I find.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks guys for the responses.

I'll check Tasca Ford and update everyone on what I find.

Don't install smalls from FoMoCo. Get those from Autometer. They are not the same gauges.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I went to Speedhuts. No issues since.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Don't install smalls from FoMoCo. Get those from Autometer. They are not the same gauges.
This is important!!! Do not use Ford's stock of small gauges, as they will fail with the same probability as the originals. Autometer makes a new version with identical appearance with different innards. They do not show on their web site. Call them directly. You should replace all of them all at once - they aren't expensive - and save yourself the pain of having to remove the bezel more than once.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
This is important!!! Do not use Ford's stock of small gauges, as they will fail with the same probability as the originals. Autometer makes a new version with identical appearance with different innards. They do not show on their web site. Call them directly. You should replace all of them all at once - they aren't expensive - and save yourself the pain of having to remove the bezel more than once.

Yep, I acquired the small gauges from Autometer.

Too bad they don't carry the Speedo or the tach.

Eric

Last edited:
Reactions: Natee

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
UPDATE: I checked with Tasca Ford and unfortunately they do not have any in stock and had no idea about availability.

Is Ford no longer manufacturing this part? What recourse do we have if we want an OEM (not SpeedHut) Tach or Speedo?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is Ford no longer manufacturing this part? What recourse do we have if we want an OEM (not SpeedHut) Tach or Speedo?

Add headlight assembly to the list.

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hi

Please note there is a "voltage surge protector" supplied from a Forum member (can't remember name) that easily installs in passenger footwell to prevent gage loss, I lost speedo and tack before had it replaced and no issues since. I do also keep on charger and turn ignition on and wait until mileage shows before starting.

Ty Steve

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Hi

Please note there is a "voltage surge protector" supplied from a Forum member (can't remember name) that easily installs in passenger footwell to prevent gage loss, I lost speedo and tack before had it replaced and no issues since. I do also keep on charger and turn ignition on and wait until mileage shows before starting.

Ty Steve

That would be;

@analogdesigner

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Hi

Ty Steve

Hey Steve. Yeah, I remember that. My speedometer went out years ago, possibly around the time AnalogDesigner was working on his anti-surge device. I'm just now getting around to replacing it.

I too am an engineer and have designed my own lithium starter battery for the GT which is better at preventing low voltage and possibly surge issues. It's also much lighter, doesn't gas, leak or corrode (the main reason I designed it), is more resilient to sitting fully discharged and has far greater lifespan.

As for the speedometer, forum member NotA4re used to repair broken speedos and tachs but had problems with the innards they were sourcing from their supplier. I asked (on another thread) that if the Speedhut speedo is plug-n-play (as listed on their website), is it not possible to put the speedhut innards inside an OEM speedo shell? That could be a possible solution. I'm tempted to try...

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
There is a thread somewhere, Cooltech was working WITH speedhut to put their speedo / tach into a Ford housing. The partnership did not pan out. Zero options.

Has anyone contacted someone like Palo Alto Speedo? They do a lot of older car repairs (they assessed a Merc 280SL fuel gauge for me this week)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
EasyEric, how did your battery work out?

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
EasyEric, how did your battery work out?

So far so good.

I ran a test with the battery fully charged in the car and the alarm activated and let the car sit for three weeks. The battery capacity reduced to 33% with a terminal voltage of ~13.0 volts (I can communicate with the battery via WiFi and it reports it's vitals), and it cranked the car with ease.

With the lithium chemistry I use and the type of battery design I'm implementing, any state of charge short of fully discharged will still have a terminal voltage greater than lead acid so low voltage is a non-issue. I've been using it for 3 months now. If I don't drive my GT for a while, I put it on charge once every 4 weeks overnight and fully charge it. No need to keep a trickle charger on it as it won't sulfate and can sit partially discharged for extended periods of time with no damage.

My battery could probably sit longer than 4 weeks between charges/cranks but my car is lojacked so the key-off power drain is greater than normal.

I was planning to make a couple for forum members to test, but the pandemic induced electronics shortage has impacted even a hobbyist like me. Let me know if you're interested in testing one.

By the way, I believe the GEN 2 GT's (2017- present) come standard with a lithium battery.

Last edited:

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
There is a thread somewhere, Cooltech was working WITH Speedhut to put their speedo / tach into a Ford housing. The partnership did not pan out. Zero options.

Has anyone contacted someone like Palo Alto Speedo? They do a lot of older car repairs (they assessed a Merc 280SL fuel gauge for me this week)

Specracer, I just looked up Palo Alto Speedo. They would appear to have the expertise to at least diagnose and propose a solution.

I'll call them Monday and report back.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
So far so good.

I ran a test with the battery fully charged in the car and the alarm activated and let the car sit for three weeks. The battery capacity reduced to 33% with a terminal voltage of ~13.0 volts (I can communicate with the battery via WiFi and it reports it's vitals), and it cranked the car with ease.

With the lithium chemistry I use and the type of battery design I'm implementing, any state of charge short of fully discharged will still have a terminal voltage greater than lead acid so low voltage is a non-issue. I've been using it for 3 months now. If I don't drive my GT for a while, I put it on charge once every 4 weeks overnight and fully charge it. No need to keep a trickle charger on it as it won't sulfate and can sit partially discharged for extended periods of time with no damage.

My battery could probably sit longer than 4 weeks between charges/cranks but my car is lojacked so the key-off power drain is greater than normal.

I was planning to make a couple for forum members to test, but the pandemic induced electronics shortage has impacted even a hobbyist like me. Let me know if you're interested in testing one.

By the way, I believe the GEN 2 GT's (2017- present) come standard with a lithium battery.

If swapping out my gauges wasn't a nightmare, I would be interested. Once you get testing done, if you decide to produce some, I would be interested.

Natee

May 12, 2021
Bangkok
Yep, I acquired the small gauges from Autometer.

Too bad they don't carry the Speedo or the tach.

Eric

Eric, I just bought one from eBay 20 mins ago. There is another one listed for about the same price ($1300). Pricey but I want OEM. 😓