F150 Hybrid

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ron, you may already know this: You need a transfer switch on your house that will disconnect from line power when the power goes out. Then you can plug in the truck to power the house. You will need a power connector on the house that accepts the other end of a power connect cord, similar to what an RV uses.

The cord will need the correct connector on the other end to plug into the 240V outlet on your truck. With 7.2KW of power, at 240V, that is a max of 30 amps. 30 amps requires a connect cord of 10 gauge with three conductors plus ground, commonly designated as "10/3" cable. The length, obviously, should be enough to reach from the the inlet to the house, to the truck where you can conveniently park it.

If you need more info, let me know.
Pete
Thanks for your help
I’m going to look into it
Appreciate it. Thanks again.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Pete
Thanks for your help
I’m going to look into it
Appreciate it. Thanks again.
Flip the main and plug it into the dryer outlet. Basically what I do with the extra outlet I have. My neighbor installed a legit switch that I haven't seen before. All it is is a plate that keeps you from having generator power breaker and line power breaker on at the same time. Slide it one way and it allows you to flip gen power breaker on but it won't slide if line power breaker is on. I did not see the backside though so I'm not sure if it breaks the ground too.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yes, that is a legit way of doing it. It does not break the ground connection, since those are all common to the ground point of the house. It mechanically prevents you from engaging the main breaker to the house, and the breaker to the generator inlet at the same time. It must be one or the other. Be very careful about "back feeding" power through the dryer outlet. If you have a problem, or someone else who doesn't know how it was set up has a problem, or injures or kills a line worker, have lawyers on speed dial. Ditto if it somehow causes a fire.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Ron, any licensed electrician can set you up. The guys who install backup generators are very familiar with the requirements.

Reactions: roketman

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Flip the main and plug it into the dryer outlet. Basically what I do with the extra outlet I have. My neighbor installed a legit switch that I haven't seen before. All it is is a plate that keeps you from having generator power breaker and line power breaker on at the same time. Slide it one way and it allows you to flip gen power breaker on but it won't slide if line power breaker is on. I did not see the backside though so I'm not sure if it breaks the ground too.
Such a connection requires hot leads on the prongs. A good way to die. Ask me how I know. Never mind ill tell. My grandfather wired a plug on the farm backwards. I got lit up pulling the wrong end. Laid me down in a pile of muddy cow s***. He knew but never told me. I think I was 13 or 14. I fixed the plug.

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Ron, you may already know this: You need a transfer switch on your house that will disconnect from line power when the power goes out. Then you can plug in the truck to power the house. You will need a power connector on the house that accepts the other end of a power connect cord, similar to what an RV uses.

The cord will need the correct connector on the other end to plug into the 240V outlet on your truck. With 7.2KW of power, at 240V, that is a max of 30 amps. 30 amps requires a connect cord of 10 gauge with three conductors plus ground, commonly designated as "10/3" cable. The length, obviously, should be enough to reach from the the inlet to the house, to the truck where you can conveniently park it.

If you need more info, let me know.
Once you factor in the cost of all the equipment required to make this work, may as well just get a standby generator which will have much more power output and longer run time.

Reactions: roketman

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Ron & Tom ideas strike again. Ours same les black out - has been ready to ship to our dealer for several weeks.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
great truck!
Trailering the mileage is 8-12mpg
Not trailering 18-24

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Trailering mileage will be low because the truck will almost always be running on the ICE, not in hybrid mode. If you're trailering a lot, get the diesel.