Exploring the Titan II

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Completely off topic, but I'm sure many of you are into this as much as I am:

If your into Space, Cold War tech and anything military this article has great pics of the Titan II.
The book: Command and Control (a must read) goes into great detail about the design and operation of these beasts along with all of "broken arrow" incidents around the world.

It's a wonder we're all still alive...

Truly frightening and fascinating!

I'll be taking this tour if anyone wants to go.

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/up-cl...ssile&kwp_0=528355&kwp_4=1977440&kwp_1=828272

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tomcat

GT Owner
I was on the beach at Cocoa when a night launch of a Titan IIIc went off course and had to be detonated...huge fireworks!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I'll bet! Those things were extremely dangerous just sitting in the silos, as the Damascus incident proved...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tomcat

GT Owner
I own an NSX formerly owned by Col. Walt Cunningham (USMC)...part of the first Apollo crew to get airborne after the Apollo 1 disaster.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
It's a brilliant place to visit with really good guides. We went in 2012. Thought that was the highlight of the trip so thought we might as well call it a day and start WW3 :wink

1I9F3447.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You are sooooo diplomatic Phil.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Hey Frank, it's the new way. Bomb now, think later :lol

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The Cnet article above, I didnt quite understand what was involved.

Found this, this is the link to the museum, just outside of Tucon. Trying to see if we have time in January when there for auction week. Likely not enough time, as Pima is close by too. Might have to be part of another trip.

http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/

Pima

http://www.pimaair.org/

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
So a few of us made the drive down to Tucson to see the Titan 2. What an awesome experience!!

Reactions: 07XL0027

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Since my post above (when we didnt make it south), we went in 2018 on a different trip, both the Titan and Pima exceed expectations.

Reactions: Special K

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
I would be more worried about someone backing out of their parking space and hitting the Ford GT.....

You Tube has many interesting clips. One shows a family buying one and restoring it, very cool! Another one shows the actual building, using, and decommissioning them. Part of our GREAT HISTORY. I only wish we had more that were not destroyed and possibly used for other things. (one note, I bet Russia did not destroy all of theirs.....just a thought).

Reactions: Special K

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
I would be more worried about someone backing out of their parking space and hitting the Ford GT.....

You Tube has many interesting clips. One shows a family buying one and restoring it, very cool! Another one shows the actual building, using, and decommissioning them. Part of our GREAT HISTORY. I only wish we had more that were not destroyed and possibly used for other things. (one note, I bet Russia did not destroy all of theirs.....just a thought).
We parked at the very very end of the parking so no one would back into us.

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
I would figure that! Just making a joke....I would be afraid of parking it in a space only to have someone park close!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA

They ended up using most of the Titans. Some were used to show our might to the Russians with inert warheads and others were used for space launches. They would purposely tell them where they would land to prove how accurate they were. The Russians were not nearly as accurate. The last Titan 2 flight was 2003. They were decommissioned as missiles around 1986.