Exhaust/Lowering kit

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
Hi, looking for aftermarket exhaust, Heffner/Ida/Accufab any recomandations.
Also thinking about lowering car 1"-1.5" what is the best way to do this and who would be the best person to do the job. I am located in CT, but I do not mind a little travel..
Thanks
Sal
05 #771 white/blue

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Hi, looking for aftermarket exhaust, Heffner/Ida/Accufab any recomandations.
Also thinking about lowering car 1"-1.5" what is the best way to do this and who would be the best person to do the job. I am located in CT, but I do not mind a little travel..
Thanks
Sal
05 #771 white/blue

I went with the Accufab but all three are good choices. I also used the coil overs to lower my car for about $400 because I didn't want to change the ride. If your going to track it I think some are going with the Penske shock option. I believe with those you can change the ride and the height for about $5000.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I went with the Accufab but all three are good choices. I also used the coil overs to lower my car because I didn't want to change the ride. If your going to track it I think some are going with the Penske shock option. I believe with those you can change the ride and the height for about $5000.

Steve, you are a man of fine taste, I followed Steve and have never looked back.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Steve, you are a man of fine taste, I followed Steve and have never looked back.
Bony, you have a bad memory. This is the route I took after seeing your car:lol However your taste in women is unequaled.

bg5512

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
How far can you adjust the coil-overs?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have the Heffner system and an very happy with the appearance, workmanship and sound. They are a little quieter than the Accufab system and this is without the baffles. The Ida is louder than the Heffner as well. Heffner is sending me the baffles, but I don't think I need them for street use. However Ed Sims tells me that the Heffner won't pass the sound limit at Laguna Seca about 90 to 92 db depending on the event. Maybe the baffles will get me below this limit. Not likely though. As for melting the plastic tailpipes cutouts that is a possibility. I don't think it will be an issue on the street. I never get on in long enough for heat to be an issue. If I get the car on the track I may find a molten pool of plastic that was the bumper.

BlackICE

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
How far can you adjust the coil-overs?

The car sits real flat and still has good clearence at 1" in the front and 3/4" in the rear. Someone has posted pics of 1 7/8" in the front and 1 1/2" in the rear. For me the look was a little extreme but it was done with the coil overs. Try the search engine for "lowering". I don't know if you can more than that or not.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Mine is lowered 2" in the front, and only 3/4" in the rear.
The 2" was the max. You can go lower if you change out your springs. That could yield you 3" lowering, but would make it very hard to drive on public streets.

bg5512

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
I have the Heffner system and an very happy with the appearance, workmanship and sound. They are a little quieter than the Accufab system and this is without the baffles. The Ida is louder than the Heffner as well. Heffner is sending me the baffles, but I don't think I need them for street use. However Ed Sims tells me that the Heffner won't pass the sound limit at Laguna Seca about 90 to 92 db depending on the event. Maybe the baffles will get me below this limit. Not likely though. As for melting the plastic tailpipes cutouts that is a possibility. I don't think it will be an issue on the street. I never get on in long enough for heat to be an issue. If I get the car on the track I may find a molten pool of plastic that was the bumper.

BlackICE

How much of a difference do the baffles make? Are they easy to take in / out?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't know. I haven't gotten them yet. They weren't shipped with the exhaust, but Heffner shipped them out as soon as I called him about the omission. I am told it makes a small difference. They drop in where the cats connect to the Heffner exhaust. So get install or un-install you would have to unbolt the exhaust from the mounting brackets and cats, drop in the baffles and reinstall. I think it can be done without removing the clam shell although it would be more difficult. With the clamshell off it should take no more than 20 minutes tops. I think less than 10 bolts with fairly easy access.

Note, even without the baffles the exhaust noise cruising at 60-80 on a level road in 6th is not noticeable compared to the road noise from the tires. In this case the baffles won't make any difference. Now at 50% or more throttle (when on some boost) at any RPM the sound is much louder than stock, but not objectionable to me.

BlackICE

Last edited:

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Hey Sal,
I used the Acufab exhaust, and am very happy with it. Quiet around town, but enthusiastic when need be. Carwashking, from Folsom, California, just had his car lowered by the GT Guys, so you might want to check with him how much he lowered, and how happy he is with it. Chow, Gary

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Mine is lowered 2" in the front, and only 3/4" in the rear.
The 2" was the max. You can go lower if you change out your springs. That could yield you 3" lowering, but would make it very hard to drive on public streets.

That is quite a bit of difference form front to rear. Is that due to your running different tires than stock? Does yor car sit level?

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
That is quite a bit of difference form front to rear. Is that due to your running different tires than stock? Does yor car sit level?

My wheels are the same rolling diameter as stock. If you look at your front end, you will notice a HUGE wheel gap, but the rear is much less.
The front is raised high in order to meet certain DOT standards.
I basically took out that abnormally large gap.

lowered02.jpg

lowered03.jpg

lowered01.jpg

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
rocman,

have you measured the roof height from the ground? also, how is the rebound on your car during hard cornering?

thanks
Steve

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
My wheels are the same rolling diameter as stock. If you look at your front end, you will notice a HUGE wheel gap, but the rear is much less.
The front is raised high in order to meet certain DOT standards.
I basically took out that abnormally large gap.

lowered02.jpg

lowered03.jpg

lowered01.jpg

It looks great. Any issues with driveways? I am lowering mine at this moment and very much don't want to drag the nose everwhere.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
rocman,

have you measured the roof height from the ground? also, how is the rebound on your car during hard cornering?

thanks
Steve

I haven't tracked it yet, so I am not too sure. I try to to do hard cornering in public, just incase some little kid decides to run out from somewhere.
The car is around 40.5"H, but I will double check. If and when I track the car, I will be using different wheels.
The car right now is just a tad more stiff than stock. I had the camber and toe-in adjusted for track use and it handles great!

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
It looks great. Any issues with driveways? I am lowering mine at this moment and very much don't want to drag the nose everwhere.

I have not scraped anything, but I always go into driveways and dips at an angle. I have always had lowered cars, and this one is not bad at all.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Looks nice. Just needs a new exhaust...www.fordgtexhaust.com

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Nice link.
Some good sound clips, although those HP numbers look a little low.
I will be doing an exhaust when I have my Whipple installed.