Evans Coolant

DeMopuar

May 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of Evans waterless coolant in their car? Wondering if it would work in the engine and/ or intercooler systems of the car? I know that drag racers and motorcycle racers use this stuff, but I wonder about the "real" world application on a street car.

http://www.evanscooling.com/main21.htm

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
I have bin thinking about trying it in the GT for awhile now.Think I mite put it in my diesel truck first to see if it runs any cooler.

Last edited:

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
I've been using Evans NPG+ for 2 years on both the track & street and it gives me a noticable cooling improvement. :thumbsup

DeMopuar

May 30, 2008
Wisconsin
DRIVEBY,

Did you only put it in the engine circuit, or did you also use it for the intercooler?

Thanks for the information.

Mark

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Got it in both!

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
I have run propylene glycol in cars before. You can expect higher coolant temperatures but your peak metal temperatures will be lower since it will be less likely to boil when cooling the hottest parts of the engine (the heads around the exhaust valves). You will also have more boil-over protection.

The only way you are going to get a meaningful cooling improvement in your GT is to get more air to flow THROUGH the radiator instead of around it. There are big gaps around the radiator. Someone will eventually fabricate some baffling to fix the issue.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Evans

I have used Evans in my race cars from time to time. The system is flushed regularly. Cooled an additional 10 degrees or so in summer heat.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
I have run propylene glycol in cars before. You can expect higher coolant temperatures but your peak metal temperatures will be lower since it will be less likely to boil when cooling the hottest parts of the engine (the heads around the exhaust valves). You will also have more boil-over protection.

The only way you are going to get a meaningful cooling improvement in your GT is to get more air to flow THROUGH the radiator instead of around it. There are big gaps around the radiator. Someone will eventually fabricate some baffling to fix the issue.

Yukonranger

You are spot on target.

PG will delay a failure if there hot spots inside a cooling passage casting.

But will not lower operating temps over any other coolant.

You are also !00% on track with the air flow problem / description.
PG can not help this kind of problem.

Actually straight PG was the coolant of choice at the turn of the last century.
For cold weather engine usage. (We have learned a lot in the last 100 years).

Now if you reverse the coolant flow in your race car.
Cold PG into the heads & out @ the block.
And install an adjustable thermostat.
And force normal operating temps upwards of 240 deg.
And then develop a new cals to work in this range.
There may be engine efficiency gains with PG.

But with a low speed air flow problem like the GT has on track.
There will be no gain with PG .

If there was any real improvement Ford (and all others) would have never stopped using PG. It is also less expensive than EG?

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Doug Rippie tried reverse coolant flowing on an early ZR-1 at LeMans, and it was a disaster. The engine and system had to be designed for reverse cooling from the get-go, it was determined after consulting with the "real" design engineers. Motors not designed with this flow direction in mind may have many unforeseeen issues develop if you do reverse their coolant flow. If this has proven to work OK with reliability on the GT, so be it. I'd be careful, however.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
The only way you are going to get a meaningful cooling improvement in your GT is to get more air to flow THROUGH the radiator instead of around it.
I don't agree. My car ran 210 in traffic all the time until I had Shadowman purge the cooling system. He also put a different tune in it as well as turned on one of the fans earlier. It runs 185 all day no matter what. I have never tracked the car which might put additional strain on the system and expose some weaknesses but from my perspective, it has been flawless on the road no matter the ambient temps or traffic.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I don't agree. My car ran 210 in traffic all the time until I had Shadowman purge the cooling system. He also put a different tune in it as well as turned on one of the fans earlier. It runs 185 all day no matter what. I have never tracked the car which might put additional strain on the system and expose some weaknesses but from my perspective, it has been flawless on the road no matter the ambient temps or traffic.

Shadowman purged your system of air bubbles and turned the fans on earlier, that is why it runs cooler.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Thanks for repeating what i said. My response was to the assertion that the only way to improve cooling was to close the gaps around the radiator. While that surely would offer an improvement it is not the only way to get a handle on a hot running GT. I have run Evans in a 700hp diesel application that was having boiling issues due to a high elevation 10,000'+ running environment over some Colorado mountain passes. It was very effective.

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
Not sure what you are trying to say. If your cooling system is improperly filled then filling it by removing the air bubbles will help. The point is that changing the coolant with a PG coolant WILL NOT reduce temperatures at the guage. It is also a fundemental fact that the more effective that a coolant is at removing heat from the engine, the higher the temperature of the coolant will be.

Thanks for repeating what i said. My response was to the assertion that the only way to improve cooling was to close the gaps around the radiator. While that surely would offer an improvement it is not the only way to get a handle on a hot running GT. I have run Evans in a 700hp diesel application that was having boiling issues due to a high elevation 10,000'+ running environment over some Colorado mountain passes. It was very effective.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I agree. In fact my coolant temps ran a little higher when I ran the Evans product which confirms that it was more effective based on your assertion correct? I didn't run it to manage coolant temps, I ran it to manage boil point issues at high elevation. Bottom line... if the OP is having cooling system issues, simply purging the air from the system and turning on a fan a little sooner will most likely offer him a very satisfactory solution.

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
Sounds like we are on the same page. I used PG in a race car a long time ago and it seemed to reduce detonation which I attibuted to a reductiion of peak temperatures around the exhaust valves.

I agree. In fact my coolant temps ran a little higher when I ran the Evans product which confirms that it was more effective based on your assertion correct? I didn't run it to manage coolant temps, I ran it to manage boil point issues at high elevation. Bottom line... if the OP is having cooling system issues, simply purging the air from the system and turning on a fan a little sooner will most likely offer him a very satisfactory solution.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You don't have to have the fans reprogrammed, just turn on the AC.