european gt's

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
can anyone tell me the difference between us and european gt's?, neilda probably to busy dodging trucks :banana

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
:lol

There's none. They come over here in exactly the same form that you have them over there....

To make them 'legal' for road use here are a couple of things - we don't use our stop lights for turning, so we remove the central reverse light and install amber turn signals, we have to have a rear fog lamp, side indicators (repeaters) and that's about the main difference.

Also the standard radio needs to be changed as your frequencies are different to ours. I didn't bother with this as there's nothing on the radio that I need to listen to and my Steely Dan CD's work fine in the player!

Most insurance companies insist on tracker alarm systems - so that gets added too (but it's not a legal requirement). If you're really interested in the full list I have a pdf of all of the work - mail me your email address and I can send.

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
email on the way, are england in the world cup? :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have heard a rumour that England will be playing in the World Cup - in fact there's talk of little else!

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
(Back to the thread.....)

Well, the 'official' ones (101 units) had the following:

- amber indicator flashers in the centre rear brake lights
- Bespoke fog and reversing lights under rear bumper (fender)
- unique front side lights (beside front fog lights)
- amended fog light switch (front and rear) in matching style to other switches
- illumination on kph markings on speedo
- no radio (and no woofer)
- side repeaters
- front licence plate holder
- CorbaTrak alarm system
- and finally (and most noticeable of all!)....unique sill plates that say 'One of 101'

Think that's it

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Can't wait for Friday to start. I saw on the schedules that several of the US games will not be broadcast in Europe. I guess that says something about US soccer (football). Personally, I pick Brazil to win it all.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Jasper, you should have the full list on a pdf from me...

The other area was the headlights - from memory, Xenon lights in the UK have to be fitted with a wash/wipe system (by law), therefore the bulbs get changed otherwise washer jets would need to be fitted....

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
thanks guys, how are those sill plates attached?, as for the soccer i would rather watch doc looking for missing parts :biggrin , (sorry doc)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Euro side sills

Can someone post a photo of the Euro GT side sills that say "One of 101"? Cool.

Ed

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
Neilda said:
Jasper, you should have the full list on a pdf from me...

The other area was the headlights - from memory, Xenon lights in the UK have to be fitted with a wash/wipe system (by law), therefore the bulbs get changed otherwise washer jets would need to be fitted....

I forgot that! Mine has washer jets, but the Xenons had to be removed for the SVTA inspection, then put back in afterwards.

Ed, I'll take some pics later, unless anyone beats me to it?

Last edited:

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
Here's a pic of the sill plate. I've got a few pics of the other mods if anyone's interested.

I took my car to Silverstone for the Grand Prix qualifying today: I think more people took pics of my car than they did the F1's!!

Attachments

• one of 101.jpg
    one of 101.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 121

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
You guys are forgetting the European exhaust system!!

The 101-car has a modified exhaust system which gives the GT a much quieter noise when driven moderate.. This is done, using some shields (due to the lack of a better word) inside the mufler, that are controled by the vacum in the manifold. When the pedal is flored, the shields open - and by this point, the car sounds just like the US cars..

exhaust-system.jpg

These units (black plastic cylinder and grey control box) is placed in the location where the trans cooler mounts.

exhaust-system2.jpg

On both sides of the mufler there is a couple og these valves found..

rear.jpg

Also the exhaust tips are different, and this picture also showes the fog light and reverse light..

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Isn't that the rear fog light?

Dave

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
one of 101 said:
You guys are forgetting the European exhaust system!!

I beleive only on the German cars were these valves fitted (maybe Swiss too)? UK cars have the US system.

And yes, that is the European fog and reversing lights you can see in One of 101's rear pic.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The imported ones don't have the 'drive by' valve and frankly I'm surprised that Ford have approved this modification. The GT is a quiet car without any mods, so it doesn't seem necessary somehow....

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Muffler Modifications

The 28 UK cars don’t have the muffler modifications as for some reason they passed UK sound level tests without needing to change the muffler. It is my understanding that the rest of the 101 cars have the muffler exhaust modifications.

Rob

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Do you guys think that the 101 cars will be worth more than the US cars in 30 years time??

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Future Value's

When you get the answer to that, the current owners will be 3 decades older as will their GT's. According to my palm reader my GT will be worth a lot more than it is worth right now. The bad news is I won't be alive to cash in. :ack
one of 101 said:
Do you guys think that the 101 cars will be worth more than the US cars in 30 years time??

piplani

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 30, 2006
Switzerland
I have an 05 model serial no.070.To have it registersd here I had to have a washer system installed for the headlights and find a friendly inspector who overlooked the mods on the exhaust system which are mandatory here.My garage told me these european specced cars with the modified exhausts lose about 20hp to the standard fit.

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
piplani said:
My garage told me these european specced cars with the modified exhausts lose about 20hp to the standard fit.
In this case my german GT would not be able to go 6500rpm
in 5th gear, what he still yesterday morning did (212-215mph) with some exhaust-heating-problems.
www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1842