Engine oil cooler provisions?

DominatorDon

Apr 26, 2006
Redlands, CA.
Are there existing provisions on the engine for the addition of an additional engine oil cooler? I know about the factory engine oil cooler/heater. It is totally inadequate for track days. We have "burned" 260deg temp dots placed on the oil return line very easily. It would probably have burned 280 or 300deg temp dots if I had some that hot. It did not burn a 350deg dot, thankfully. How would be the easiest way to add an additional oil cooler? I think this same engine block is used in a pickup truck. Does the pickup version use a spin on oil filter, that maby a "sandwich" oil cooler adapter could be found and installed for additional oil cooling? Or maby a remote oil filter adapter for this engine block? Any info would be appreciated greatly. :cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Note that the GT is a dry sump system or it is a little different. But there shouldn't be a problem with adding an another oil cooler.

BlackICE

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
An easy setup would be to splice into the return hose. Probably low pressure also.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
External engine oil cooler?

External engine oil cooler?

I have installed an air to oil cooler. On a Ford Prototype GT.
But First:

The stock GT engine oil water to oil cooler is sized to not allow the oil to exceed 300 deg. F.
This is the target where the system is most efficient.
I know, at first I though this was way too hot myself. But trust me.
This car is amazing.
As part of our testing we would change the oil at 15 THOUSAND miles of racetrack testing. To simulate worst-case usage. The combination of the synthetic oil and the dry sump system is incredible.
I stood there in disbelief while the oil was drained from the Sump tank and pan. The oil looked, felt and tested clean enough to reuse.
(And this was not a one-time test; we only changed the oil after 15k miles on all the test cars)

This car (your car) is the real deal

Back to the topic.
I did install an external air to oil cooler on a Prototype GT @ Ford.
As a real world test to define the amount of engine oil heat that was added the cooling system load. (The actual amount was so low it was of on concern. But we had to find out).

We made an adaptor from 3/8" aluminum plate with -8 AN fittings welded on.
That bolted in place of the water to oil cooler. And ran hoses to a cooler in the rear fender vent. Then connecting the un-used coolant hoses to each other.

It worked great, but was completely unneeded.

But you still learn, even from testing that brings little or no results.

DominatorDon

Apr 26, 2006
Redlands, CA.
Silverbullitt said:
An easy setup would be to splice into the return hose. Probably low pressure also.
I thought about this. The return line on a dry sump system usually has alot of air mixed in with the oil. Thus the need for the big air/oil seperator/sump tank. While it would probably work, it is a waste of cooler effeciency and size to run this air thru the oil cooler. I would rather find a place that has only oil going through it. Thanks alot for the suggestion though. :)