Emergency Brake Handle Clearance

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
I am installing Exoticare leather emergency brake handle boot, and noticed the brake handle driver side slot where the cable adjuster is located tends to push up against the bezel/rubber in the stock configuration. It will have less clearance with Andrew's boot installed over the factory rubber. It appears the brake mechanism can be moved toward the passenger side a bit (mounting hole slop), but loosening the rear mounting nut is proving difficult without removing the console. Has anyone else run into this issue, and is there a wrench thin enough to defeat the rear nut clearance problem? Or am I stuck with removing the console to make the adjustment? Thanks for any thoughts...

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The bezel can be positioned into place more easily with the shifter in reverse. Also,remove the console side trim panels and loosen the 4 screws on each side which will allow a bi of fore aft adjustment. Baring that, removing the console is no big deal.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Modified Emergency Brake Mounting Holes

(Note for ViperJoe...it is the parking/emergency brake bezel, not the shifter bezel I had interference with.)

After loosening the console, lifting it slightly and removing the emergency brake handle assembly, I modified the front and rear assembly mounting holes by filing them out. The rear hole was filed inward (toward the driver side/handle assembly) and the front hole filed outward (also toward the driver side, away from the handle assembly). This allowed the emergency brake handle assembly to be moved about 1/8 inch or so toward the passenger side. The unit was remounted using the original nuts along with chrome external star washers to be sure the brake assembly did not shift position. This allowed additional clearance for installing the Exoticare leather brake handle boot over the stock rubber boot. Now, when pulling the emergency brake handle up, the cable retention slot no longer rests against the brake bezel in the console. It was doing so even with the rubber boot alone, and eventually would have worn through the boot and been able to scratch the bezel.

As a side note, I did see a black metal tube running along the passenger side of the console tunnel below the brake assembly. It bent around and was resting against two metal tab risers sticking out from the console tunnel. Seems like it might be subject to vibrational wear fom the sharp tab edges, so I put some protective wrap around the tube. Anyone know what the tube is for?

I am installing Exoticare leather emergency brake handle boot, and noticed the brake handle driver side slot where the cable adjuster is located tends to push up against the bezel/rubber in the stock configuration. It will have less clearance with Andrew's boot installed over the factory rubber. It appears the brake mechanism can be moved toward the passenger side a bit (mounting hole slop), but loosening the rear mounting nut is proving difficult without removing the console. Has anyone else run into this issue, and is there a wrench thin enough to defeat the rear nut clearance problem? Or am I stuck with removing the console to make the adjustment? Thanks for any thoughts...

Last edited:

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Clutch line

As a side note, I did see a black metal tube running along the passenger side of the console tunnel below the brake assembly. It bent around and was resting against two metal tab risers sticking out from the console tunnel. Seems like it might be subject to vibrational wear fom the sharp tab edges, so I put some protective wrap around the tube. Anyone know what the tube is for?

The tube is the hydraulic clutch line. Please make sure that it isn't resting anything sharp and it may cause some type of vibration if it isn't isolated properly.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Hydraulic Clutch Line

Thanks for identifying the line...I'm going to go back and and rewrap the line a bit more securely to prevent rubbing. The line originally, and still does, rests right on the two side edges of the bracket used for mounting the rear of the parking/emergency brake. Is this a common positioning for all GTs? If so, folks might pay attention to this if removing the console for any reason. I'm surprized there is not a cut-out in the bracket or some better protection for the line at those two points.

The tube is the hydraulic clutch line. Please make sure that it isn't resting anything sharp and it may cause some type of vibration if it isn't isolated properly.