Dumb Gt Dealers

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Its really what you want to do with you car? If your ultimate goal is investment your better off with the old car. If your goal is to experience a totally bad ass car that looks and performs totally awesome the gt is the way to go. I own several collector cars, mostly Hemi muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's and they are definately gonna appreciate more than a GT, but old cars are junk when compared to a new supercar. There stereo's suck, they don't turn they don't stop and they really don't go that good, there for looks and bragging and thats it! I sold one my hemi cars and bought a GT and I couldn't be happier about my decision!

forddude

GT Owner
Jan 5, 2006
Northeast NY
Fyi

Another GT owner.friend introduced me to this site. It is definitely worth joining up.......... I am a Ford Dealer/ GT owner.... I have been offered $100,000 plus over sticker and still won't part with it. In fact Ford Mtr Co predicted that over 35% would remain in Dealers hands, for them to keep.
My red baby is all tucked in sleeping for the winter, on our showroom floor. It is nice to see many car guys/girls and families come with their cameras and just stare in disbelief at how awesome the car is. I have cut down on my advertising budget as this car is a nice draw.
Please don't blame your local Ford Dealer for not selling, after all you can go on e-bay and buy at whatever the martket is at that time. I know a fellow Dealer that has 3 and is keeping them for the same reasons
Keep in mind that over 3500 dealers across the Nation, never had the opportunity to get allocation for a GT. I was thrilled at the opportunty to help keep Fords Pace Car of the Future for the public to enjoy... Forddude

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
Forddude, that's an interesting perspective.
The presumption here has been that all GT's in dealer inventory need to be sold but what you are suggesting is that many will be kept by the dealers unless they can make a killing.

This would mean that many of the "unsold" cars are, in effect, not really on the market.

Hmmmm...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
FGT4me said:
Forddude, that's an interesting perspective.
This would mean that many of the "unsold" cars are, in effect, not really on the market.
Hmmmm...

This particular scenario is one of the reasons I've taken issue with people's presumptions on future GT prices and current inventory levels. I've been told a great number of dealers have no intention of ever selling their GT, unless they get a ludicrous offer. That undoubtedly skews the perspective we have...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
centerpunch said:
I think Ford covered the floorplanning last spring while the cars weren't able to be sold due to the recalls, but I think that stopped a long time ago, and the dealers ARE paying floorplanning now.

Anyone have different info?

Yup... that is what I was told.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
canbl said:
I stopped at a local ford dealership few days ago to look at the new 06 model white/stripes. MSRP was of $168k with all options and they were asking 100k over MSRP. They had a yellow/no stripe in 05 and said they sold it for $240k. Wheteher you believe them or not it's up to you, I for sure don't.

The dealer in for 4 Sale section below wants MSRP and told me today in an email that he will even take a trade in.... ok, he is not in California.

Saw an add for Swanson Fahrney Ford for a while with blue strips, all options for $179k. They are in Selma, Ca.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
vyprgt2 said:
When I was there last September, they had a price at least that high on the car. When I tried to deal with them for it, the manager wouldn't even come to speak with me, he told the salesman to tell me "the price is clearly marked on the window!"- wow....I purchased my car a week or two later for $130K less out of state.

Dealers in Los Angeles were almost as bad!

where are you located?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
forddude said:
Another GT owner.friend introduced me to this site. It is definitely worth joining up.......... I am a Ford Dealer/ GT owner.... I have been offered $100,000 plus over sticker and still won't part with it. In fact Ford Mtr Co predicted that over 35% would remain in Dealers hands, for them to keep.
My red baby is all tucked in sleeping for the winter, on our showroom floor. It is nice to see many car guys/girls and families come with their cameras and just stare in disbelief at how awesome the car is. I have cut down on my advertising budget as this car is a nice draw.
Please don't blame your local Ford Dealer for not selling, after all you can go on e-bay and buy at whatever the martket is at that time. I know a fellow Dealer that has 3 and is keeping them for the same reasons
Keep in mind that over 3500 dealers across the Nation, never had the opportunity to get allocation for a GT. I was thrilled at the opportunty to help keep Fords Pace Car of the Future for the public to enjoy... Forddude

right on... exactly, i bought it to drive and enjoy, not compare it with anything else. just a reward to me from me for being a nice guy :banana

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
DBK said:
This particular scenario is one of the reasons I've taken issue with people's presumptions on future GT prices and current inventory levels. I've been told a great number of dealers have no intention of ever selling their GT, unless they get a ludicrous offer. That undoubtedly skews the perspective we have...

the true car guy dealers will try to keep one, the Ford dealers who have been waiting to have their Vipers, or Vettes now have one. know that production will be over, that there is nothing online to replace the GT will encourage them to hold onto the car until something better surfaces... very simple.

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
bony, I see you are close by in Fresno. I am located just north of you. I am west of Chowchilla about 7 miles. My local dealer Bob Silva Ford has the white/blue GT and was gracious enough to let me demo the car. I got to keep it long enough to know that I have to get one. It was the most fun I have had in 4 wheels since my 73 Pantera. I certainly appreciate the imput from the members of this board. I am going to hang on to the Shelby and buy a GT outright hopefully in the near future. Best regards, Tony

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
isaakgt said:
bony, I see you are close by in Fresno. I am located just north of you. I am west of Chowchilla about 7 miles. My local dealer Bob Silva Ford has the white/blue GT and was gracious enough to let me demo the car. I got to keep it long enough to know that I have to get one. It was the most fun I have had in 4 wheels since my 73 Pantera. I certainly appreciate the imput from the members of this board. I am going to hang on to the Shelby and buy a GT outright hopefully in the near future. Best regards, Tony

Hello Tony, Great... Swanson Fahrney's white/blue car is on the cover of one of those local car selling rags at $179k... make an offer. I have seen Bob's GT, he is really driving the wheels off that car... which is what it is all about, isn't it?
Happy New Year,
daniel

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
bony said:
where are you located?

I'm a Fresnan too- amazing how many there are here!

I definitely believe that hundreds of these cars that are included in the "not sold" stats actually will belong to Ford dealers for decades, and are off the market.

The GT will always be scarce and desirable- it cannot be disputed that it is one of the all-time great American sports cars- I don't see the cars plummeting in value....

Tony, the GT in Selma has a couple of thousand miles on it, so they should definitely be offering good deals on it....

Last edited:

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
I got mine in the Bay Area and the 06 that I saw is from a different dealership in the Bay Area as well.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
vyprgt2 said:
I'm a Fresnan too- amazing how many there are here!

I definitely believe that hundreds of these cars that are included in the "not sold" stats actually will belong to Ford dealers for decades, and are off the market.

The GT will always be scarce and desirable- it cannot be disputed that it is one of the all-time great American sports cars- I don't see the cars plummeting in value....

Tony, the GT in Selma has a couple of thousand miles on it, so they should definitely be offering good deals on it....

No doubt, Fresno has always been a car guy's city. Heck, at one time we were almost the second capital of the Indy car world. Hopefully Jerry will be organizing some get togethers soon.

I bought my car as a toy, plan to keep it. Came to an understanding with my wife, she doesn't sell her jewelry, and I don't sell my toys!! :banana

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
bony said:
Came to an understanding with my wife, she doesn't sell her jewelry, and I don't sell my toys!! :banana

YES! :thumbsup

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
forddude said:
Lets do the math 35% of 4000 is 1400 cars. So if this is true there wouldn't be any 05's still for sale they would be locked away by dealers. I see More and More "Dealer" GT's coming on Ebay with low miles, Alot of the dealers want to get Off of them before they lose money. I think you will see alot more of the dealers get off their personal GT's as we get to the end of production. Before its over the Kalifornia dealers will come to reality and sell their cars for market value, it just may be well after production is over and they go down below invoice. If Ford wanted these cars to hold their value over the long run they should have only built 1000 of them.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I tend to believe that you will see the cars go for MSRP or a little below...but I do believe the dealers for the most part will hold onto alot of them..its kind of a perk...owner gets the car and its the dealers cost...one of the perks of owning the dealership...I know at least 2 dealers that have them..heck one of them kept 3 of his 4 he was allocated (Owns multiple dealerships) and 2 haven't ever been drivin..just sitting in the warehouse.

Also keep in mind you have alot of dealers that aren't ford dealers but lincoln/mercury dealers that might have wanted a car and bought it and keep it.

The best example for the market is the Viper...yes prices went down..yes they lost about 25% value on the cars...they are going for about 45-60 depending on the options and what condition the car is in...If that holds true for the GT you should see them stay above 120 or so..

For me..who cares..I am buying it to drive it and enjoy it...The risk you run is if you wait for a deal...there may not be any cars to deal over when you are ready.

Matt

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
centerpunch said:
A lot of dealers were going to keep their '92 Vipers forever, too. I just don't see more than a couple hundred dealers keeping their GTs more than a year or so..........
I totally agree with you. The other thing I'm not clear on is if someone offered the dealer on here $100K over MSRP, why not take it you can buy all the 05 Red GT's you want for $10K back of MSRP. I would have sold it and bought another and put $100K in my pocket. Keep in mind Red is the most produced color and the easiest to get a big discount on.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
This is an interesting discussion and it's obvious that there are no straightforward answers. The perspective from the UK is that you have to pay $280,000 -295,000 for a GT - that's how the market values the car at the moment here. Roughly the same price as an Aston Vanquish or a Murcielago (for example).

However, if you HAVE to have this car (I did) then the price was simply the price. I suspect that it will hold it's value at around $255k for the next couple of years, but I can't say I'm that concerned as I just love the car. There's nothing else on the market that would want.

The fact that some dealers are holding out for high prices in the US is, as suggested earlier, probably quite nice news to hear - even though their reasoning may be flawed.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Neilda said:
This is an interesting discussion and it's obvious that there are no straightforward answers. The perspective from the UK is that you have to pay $280,000 -295,000 for a GT - that's how the market values the car at the moment here. Roughly the same price as an Aston Vanquish or a Murcielago (for example).

However, if you HAVE to have this car (I did) then the price was simply the price. I suspect that it will hold it's value at around $255k for the next couple of years, but I can't say I'm that concerned as I just love the car. There's nothing else on the market that would want.

The fact that some dealers are holding out for high prices in the US is, as suggested earlier, probably quite nice news to hear - even though their reasoning may be flawed.

Bottom line, a great world class car, bravo to those that get a good deal.
Wonder if some dealers who are selling cars on the cheap even have an allocation?