Driving shoes?

racegirl

How many of you are fans of/wear driving/racing shoes to drive your GT? I was at Cruise Calabasas today, and the majority of exotic car owners (lamborghinis, ferraris, porsches, etc.) had racing shoes of some sort on. There was three GTs (one of which was ours) and none of the drivers had racing shoes on. My dad was wearing work boots... :lol My dad is a pretty modest guy...parked the GT in the parking lot and walked into the car show...a few people saw us pull in the other entrance and followed us over to take pics...turns out most of them were in love with the gulf colors (i dont blame them!) I made dad cruise through the show to show a few family friends...and when we turned to cruise on the street that runs parallel to the show, 200 people (no lie) were standing out on the sidewalk cameras in hand to get a picture of the heritage GT! i was giggling like a little kid! :cheers

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Sorry - it's an east coast thing. Dock shoes or Gym shoes.....

Daily driving with the race shoes is over the top - but to each his own. BTW- I don't look good in ballet slipper either:lol

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
when I drive the lotus I wear Addias adiracers .... tennis shoes that are more like racing shoe knock offs. Mostly due to the foot box in the car being so small. The GT does not have that problem ... basically whatever I have on my feet is fine. Birkenstocks are a favorite .... ok , ok, ok ... I have embraced my inner hippee:rofl

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have a pair of Piloti's but rarely wear them. Sometimes in my M3 because I have size 13 feet and the pedals are very tight in that car. I agree that wearing race shoes to a car show is a little pretentious and I'm a lot like your dad, modest about my car.

Would I be going too far or offending anyone here if I compared wearing racing shoes at a car show to wearing large gold chains?:rofl

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Florsheims, Hush Puppies - or Sears 'n' Sawbucks ...whuddever I have on!
Heck with all the "poser" stuff!:bored Yuh wear racin' stuff if yur racin'...

'Pockets

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I dont wear racing shoes, car branded shirts, or caps. Whatever I'm wearing, is what I'm wearing.
I was going to go to that gathering today, but did not wake up in time. Man, I really need to stay off this forum and go to bed.:lol

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Were the guys wearing the racing shoes also wearing Nomex suits and helmets? Safety first. You never know what could happen at a car show. Why I've heard of guys suffering 1/2 degree burns at these events when they spill their Starbucks frappacino all over their Tommy Hilfiger shorts.

Sounds like a group of geeks trying hard to keep up appearances and to fit in with their equally insecure friends. Reminds me of the "bikers" that buy a
$25k Harley Ultra Glide, $10k worth of conchos, fringe and leather, and then trailer their bike 150 miles to Bike Week.

Sorry if I am coming across a little harsh. They are only shoes after all.

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Shoes

I had been wearing a pair of Skeetchers. Thin sole, light weight, narrow and allowed for good peddle feel.
My wife bought me a pair of Piloti driving shoes for Xmas. They are a bit firmer and have a heavier sole, but good tred and the rounded heel. They also work well re peddle feel and grip.

Then again, driving my first car, a '64 Impala wagon, in bare feet wasn't too bad either!

Drivers choice:rofl

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
“Driving Shoes”?

“Driving Shoes”?:frown

Sorry, I don’t think so.:frown

As MAD IN NC says “I don't look good in ballet slippers either”.:frown

Just wear boots:biggrin , unless at work where setting and projecting a somewhat professional image is expected:bored , but even then will wear boots at times :biggrin [one of those perks of owning the place].:eek

Seems that GT owners are less concerned with the “phony baloney” stuff.:frown

But what do I know; I’m from the Texas Hill Country where boots are the norm in manly foot wear.:biggrin

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Well, don't hate me, but I am a closet GT shoe guy. I admit, I wear special shoes when I drive the GT. My normal tennies have more of a cleat / block style bottom which catch on the pedals. So, I usually put on my old Adidas tennies with the seams tearing and the bottoms are worn flat. Makes moving between the pedals easy. :thumbsup

Please don't throw me off the forum..........

racegirl

:)

I dont wear racing shoes, car branded shirts, or caps. Whatever I'm wearing, is what I'm wearing.
I was going to go to that gathering today, but did not wake up in time. Man, I really need to stay off this forum and go to bed.:lol
Its really a cool get together. I set my alarm for 5AM, but I have the flu so I just stayed in bed figuring my dad would probably leave without me! Fortunetly for me, he was still here when I walked out the front door at 7...the cool cars get there at 730ish and leave early!! There was tons of cool cars today, great turnout. Only 3 GTs...two white/blue and my dads heritage. A cool ferrari that raced at LeMans was there though! Very exciting to see. I agree with all of you...wear whats comfortable or what you have on! Thanks for all your input!

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Adidas wrestling shoes. Thin, light, allow excellent feedback, innocuous, unpretentious, functional.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I wear Pumas. I don't wear the fire resistant track shoes when I drive on the street.

I wear Pumas since they are comfortable for walking also, and the thin soles make it easy to actuate the pedals, plus they don't draw unnecessary attention.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I wear Piloti Prototipo shoes. I used to wear Puma Speed Cats but found the Pilotis more comfortable especially if you need to walk somewhere in them.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Actually, usually barefoot unless need to have real shoes, then the smooth Addidas.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I like the Adidas racers. I had those years before I owned an exotic. I admit that I don't wear them as often as I used too because I feel a little pretentious getting out of a race car wearing race shoes.

All that’s going to change; my New Years resolution is to be more pretentious.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Race shoes or wrestling shoes prevent the side of the shoe from interferring with braking and shifting and generally provide better traction on the pedals. This is especially important wheel heel and toeing, normally used on a race track. Obviously far less important for street driving unless its important to the individual driver for whatever reason.

Dave

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Race shoes or wrestling shoes prevent the side of the shoe from interferring with braking and shifting and generally provide better traction on the pedals. This is especially important wheel heel and toeing, normally used on a race track. Obviously far less important for street driving unless its important to the individual driver for whatever reason.

Dave
I agree with that. Running shoes are the worst with their wider flared out soles snag the pedal box.

Now what is the correct method for heel and toe with the GT? The brake and gas pedal are a little too far apart for me to easily roll the right edge of my braking foot to the gas pedal. I can blip the throttle with my heel, but to do that I need to put my foot a little higher up on the brake pedal than I would like to and that hurts my control on the braking.

BlackICE

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well, don't hate me, but I am a closet GT shoe guy.

Please don't throw me off the forum..........

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I wear Piloti Prototipo shoes. I used to wear Puma Speed Cats but found the Pilotis more comfortable especially if you need to walk somewhere in them.

Yes, you are definitely correct.

The PUMA's are lightweight, and very comfortable to wear. BUT, if you need to walk anywhere of moderate distance, the soles are relatively thin and it can be tiring on the feet.

I've never tried the Piloti's, but just looking at the tread height, they have to be much much better for walking.