HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
what a hero for taking the chance and just doing it. It was such a pleasant drive for me a couple of years ago driving across Germany on the autobahn Being able to travel at the speed at which one feels most comfortable is a relaxing joy.
Of course here in the USA we have to deal with crap drivers!!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ive resisted commenting on this on other car forums, but I think this is the DUMBEST thing. An avg speed of 103 on public streets is an insane risk to others. Sure they claim they are "safe", but over 27 hours, I'm sure many questionable things happened. Sorry to all that think this is cool.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Ive resisted commenting on this on other car forums, but I think this is the DUMBEST thing. An avg speed of 103 on public streets is an insane risk to others. Sure they claim they are "safe", but over 27 hours, I'm sure many questionable things happened. Sorry to all that think this is cool.

agree completely. I don’t care how many spotters. Etc they had.

Reactions: twobjshelbys

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

...aaaaaand no matter what "the law" may say about LEOs having to actually "see" someone doing this sort of thing in order to arrest/charge him; given the fact he was declared the winner of the event, AND there's VIDEO of him confessing to have averaged 103 over a 27+ hours span of time on public roadways...AND his admission to having done 193 for a time...AND the fact there are traffic cams in many locales thru which he passed wherein the aforementioned "laws" likely don't apply...AND it's likely there were eye witnesses to the high jinks somewhere alone the way as well...AND the fact the speeds were 'felony level''...my guess is, like the cluck who was nailed to the wall sometime later for having done over 200 in his Lambo on the San Tan freeway in Arizona, this guy could also end up with every book in some judge's chamber being thrown at him if authorities really wanted to put their minds to it.

...and I'm not even a bit sorry for having said that. ;-)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Unfortunately, I could see these guys becoming the poster boys for Vision Zero.

AZChris

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
Nothing happened to the guy in AZ

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Never heard of Vision Zero. Looked it up, it is a program that promotes road safety. They want speed limits set per their defined parameters. Maybe they ignore that most US four lane highways are designed for 80 mph.
Two lane highway speed limit of 43 mph.
Divided four lane highway speed limit of 62 mph.
Hummmm.................

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Vision Zero runs a lot deeper than what they put out on their public definition.

A good place to follow the real Vision Zero is here;

https://www.motorists.org/blog/war-on-cars-watch-for-december-4-2019/

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Nothing happened to the guy in AZ

Are you sure?
About a year after that happened, wifey and I were having lunch at a restaurant in Chandler as were two local LEOs.
On the way out, I asked them if they remembered that incident and if they knew how it turned out.
'Was told the guy lost his license for a year and had to pay a 'hefty' fine.
'Beats the heck out of me.

AZChris

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
Shot him a text about what happened “No, nothing actually happened, Not even a ticket. But people had all kinds of theories like I was in prison for a couple years or I fled the country and everything like that. “

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Shot him a text about what happened “No, nothing actually happened, Not even a ticket. But people had all kinds of theories like I was in prison for a couple years or I fled the country and everything like that. “

Weird.
I don't know why I was told what I was told then.
Perhaps the LEO confused the above incident with a similar one...although I would think the odds of someone else pulling the same stunt on the same highway at a similar speed in an identical (or similar) car would be darned slim.
Anyway, your buddy ought to know - so, I'm going with his version.