Dodge Challenger vs. Shelby GT500

PNicholson

I drove my Ford GT down to my local Southern CA dealer to place a deposit on the '08 Challenger SRT-8. And was told by the salesperson, and then subsequently the sales manager, that "We're not taking any deposits at this time - we don't even know what the price is yet." and also, "You do know that the Challenger will be selling for over window."

Not sure if they saw my car, and it was completely empty in their newly renovated showroom, on a weekday morning.

Hey there,

HAVE to ask - was this dealership in Irvine by chance? :)

Page

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Hey EP,

At least at your dealership, the staff reads the nationally distributed press releases which clearly stated the window sticker, at $37,995, plus gas guzzler.

Perhaps it was just a clever ploy, so they could refrain from any discussions of selling price at this time. Only thing is, they didn't exactly strike me as clever, from our brief interaction.

This type of information was widely published days before my visit:

"The long awaited pricing news has finally been announced, MSRP for the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 will be $37,995 (includes $675 destination charge) but if you think your getting out the door with one for that price think again as the government will add a $2,100 gaz guzzler tax to the MSRP making it $40,095." [from the internet, for educational purposes]

Last edited:

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
No Hemi.... > 340 6 pack......

1970 AAR Cuda/Challenger T/A
are the only Mopars that came with a 340 6 pack

Sold my Cuda with a pistol grip shifter to long ago....In the old days we used to call it peeling purple but todays paint fixed all that.

I prefer a real high winding 340 6 pack to a hemi any day.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
...In the old days we used to call it peeling purple but todays paint fixed all that...

I have a purple Dodge Demon back in the day. Sure enough the paint peeled on the hood. :rofl