Do You Remember Your First Drive?

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
My first drive wasn't so pleasant. It was February 2006 and after sitting in the corner of the dealership Garage for a few months, it was time for her to go home. Well I live in update NY and we all know now that cold tires & cold weather in a GT DOESN'T equal traction:frown. You add that with the oil and grease from the garage floor and a new driver and you have trouble. Well I went to take a right out of the dealership gave it a little gas and damn near did a 180, luckily the only damage was a pair of mens shorts and you scared the Sh#$% out of me from the salesman!!!!!!!!!

John

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
I love all the pictures

My first ride was great. It took from 1966 to August 2005 to get delivery though. The longest wait I have ever had for a car. But I just love this picture of the blue car the most.

Attachments

• 1644IMG_0397-thumb.jpg
    1644IMG_0397-thumb.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 341

Drew@ClassicAuto

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 10, 2008
We had taken in an insurance app for a Black/Silver, decided then we had to have it. So I found one on Ebay at a dealer in NW Indiana. This was July 06. Car had 20 or so miles on it. A good friend of ours that is a Ford dealer in Warsaw, IN bought the car and had it trucked to his dealership for us. We took delivery on a 90 plus degree day. Drove the car back to Indianapolis. Had a funny smell coming from the AC unit, just thought it was breaking itself in. However, about 15 minutes outside Indy (rush hour mind you) we come up to a red light and it died. After scrambling on what to do, called our friend who owns the Cadillac dealership and they sent a flatbed. Flagged a cop down to help from us getting rear-ended. Hour later car is on the flatbed to the Ford dealer 10 minutes away. Turns out the original dealer that our friend bought the car from, overcharged the battery, thus it was bad. Not a great delivery day by any means. Good story though!

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 330

esco256

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2009
Amsterdam-Geneva

On first impression, I was a bit anxious; the sitting position is lower than expected. But at the instant I started the GT I felt like if I was born on it, the steering feeling is just perfect and the braking power simply incredible!
This car is so perfect for his stability, even at very high speeds. This first ride was very special because I had to take the car back from Amsterdam to Geneva wich is about 700miles... On the Germans Highway wich don't have speedlimits:banana

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Coming up on the 4 year anniversary of the acquisition of my FGT, a day to always remember!

deliveryday1.jpg

deliveryday2.jpg

deliveryday3.jpg

deliveryday4.jpg

deliveryday5.jpg

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
My first drive was about a 30 foot drive which took me 60 minutes. I drove from NW FL to Miami to pick mine up. After filling out the paperwork and writing them a check, I drove the car from the dealer's garage to my enclosed car trailer - 30 feet. Well, it wouldn't fit. The ramp was too steep and the GT nose bottomed out on the ramp, so I took some carpet I use to roll under a car for maintenance and placed it rolled up under the front tires which was just barely enough to get the GT started up the ramp. Once I reached the inside of the trailer, I couldn't open the GT doors to get out of the car because of the inside trailer fenders. So, I backed it back out a little, put the rolled carpet under the driver side tires to lean the left side of the car up so the door would clear the trailer fenders and was then able to exit the GT. Since then I have raised the trailer floor and extended the ramp further to ensure adequate clearance. Exciting story, don't you think? No worry about driving on cold tires or pushing the GO pedal too far for me.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Fun thread!

Like many here - the FGT was / is my dream car. Have had lots of fast cars. About a year ago - bought my first GT.. After deal was closed and handed over check - I went on my "test drive"... First time ever in a GT

My wife was along.

Got in car. I'm so in love..

No rear visibility. Mirrors - can they be smaller? Blind spots? Nothing but...

Long tube headers - racing "muffler".. mods... this is one fast car..... got out to a major road - gave it some gas. Holy shit is it loud! Torque is just there... I'm used to fast cars - but holy crap it is just right here. Now.

No traction in first. Second.. starting in third.... Back end wants to change ends with front end.... I love this car!!

I am still uncomfortable backing it up in a tight situation.

But yes - I bought it.. And another one since.

Best car. Ever

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
My first drive in a GT was leaving Shelby's shop when taking delivery. Was an extended 'test' drive...all the way back to Houston. What a first drive. A day I will never forget. Had never driven one before that, just knew I had to have one....someday. Still feels like living dream every time I get behind the wheel.

Wife rides a Harley, so after leaving Elite, we had to hit the Jonesboro Harley dealer. Was pretty neat when the dealership emptied out front...10 or so 'biker' guys standing around my new GT. All positive comments.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My first drive in a GT was leaving Shelby's shop when taking delivery. Was an extended 'test' drive...all the way back to Houston. What a first drive. A day I will never forget. Had never driven one before that, just knew I had to have one....someday. Still feels like living dream every time I get behind the wheel.

Wife rides a Harley, so after leaving Elite, we had to hit the Jonesboro Harley dealer. Was pretty neat when the dealership emptied out front...10 or so 'biker' guys standing around my new GT. All positive comments.

I got to meet you that day!

Very exciting!!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My first drive was an 1,100 mile trip from Jim Xamis Ford in Lincoln, Illinois to Largo, Florida.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Chip,

I was laughing so hard I was crying reading that!!!!!!!My wife looked at me like I was crazy:rofl