DIY Oil Change 2006

Tomcat

GT Owner
I have done one before (Thanks MAD in NC) but I am looking for a good DIY instruction to follow for an oil change on a 2006 GT.
Thanks,
Tom

Tomcat

GT Owner
Also, any pictures/diagrams of where the engine oil drain plugs are and the transmission fill and drain are?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is a nice thread here on the Forum covering this from start to end. Do a search.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Its easy, 2 rear pans off (the longest past), 3 plugs, 2 on the oil pan (one each side), the the 3rd is on the bottom of the oil tank (use cardboard to steer the oil stream away from the frame). As Frank said there are good threads on this.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Just a word of advice…… exercise caution when removing the oil tank plug. If it has been excessively torqued during the previous service it can be VERY challenging to get loose. There is a risk of cracking the bottom of the tank if you are not careful.… and consider changing it out for a quick change valve. Search this as well.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I found the disassembly easier than the re-assembly. Hint: When reattaching the two belly pans, let them hang suspended from screws on both sides before tightening everything down. There is some overlap of the two pans that is easier if they are both loose. I did mine on jack stands but a lift would make it easier.

PS. Best price on oil was Rock Auto. Even with shipping it was still cheaper than the local dealer. Who knows now with everything turned topsy turvy.

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
There is a nice thread here on the Forum covering this from start to end. Do a search.
Found it...thanks

Tomcat

GT Owner
Just a word of advice…… exercise caution when removing the oil tank plug. If it has been excessively torqued during the previous service it can be VERY challenging to get loose. There is a risk of cracking the bottom of the tank if you are not careful.… and consider changing it out for a quick change valve. Search this as well.
Roger...Fumoto valve coming.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I found the disassembly easier than the re-assembly. Hint: When reattaching the two belly pans, let them hang suspended from screws on both sides before tightening everything down. There is some overlap of the two pans that is easier if they are both loose. I did mine on jack stands but a lift would make it easier.

PS. Best price on oil was Rock Auto. Even with shipping it was still cheaper than the local dealer. Who knows now with everything turned topsy turvy.
Rock Auto rocks (in this case).

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
The tank quick-connect with hose makes the job so much easier and less messy. Now, if the engineers had only put a cartridge-type filter in a more-accessible place......

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I used a joe tool. Fast easy and perfect. Pat Milliken Ford dealer sells it.

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
I have done one before (Thanks MAD in NC) but I am looking for a good DIY instruction to follow for an oil change on a 2006 GT.
Thanks,
Tom