Direct injection in the near future for the 5.0?

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
My brother took this shot of a cutaway 2011 5.0 engine at the NYIAS this week. Check out the combustion chamber....does that look like a future site for a fuel injector?

Attachments

• directinjection50.jpg
    directinjection50.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 496

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Sure looks like it to me. Need to see cutaway at that location.

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
I thought I read an article somewhere where a member of the 5.0 development team had stated that eventually the 5.0 would see DI. I can't remember where I read that article though.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I just hope it's sooner rather than later...and hopefully a concurrent bump in compression....

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
Ok, here is where I read the info. If you get the March 2010 edition of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords there is a great article on the development of the new 5.0 Coyote engine. The article starts on page 62 and covers roughly 15 pages of info. On page 65 here is a quote you maybe interested in:

"Part of a new base engine is its longevity. With engine production life-spans often measured in decades it was important the Coyote had long-term breeding. Mike [Mike Harrison: Ford's Program Manager] explained it: 'We knew that someday there would be a DI version of this engine. We knew someday there would be a supercharged version of the engine. We knew that someday someone would want to do something on it,' he explained. 'So we wanted to make sure when we did the initial design work that it would be robust enough to not have to re-engineer the whole thing down the road and any subsequent programs would be very investment efficient and time efficient so we did package DI injectors, we did really improve the bulkhead strength to take supercharging, we upgraded the cylinder head bolts and the main bearing bolts, all of that stuff...We just wanted to make sure it was a good base going forward, that the architecture would last us the next 10 or 15 years..."

On page 77 there is sidebar titled "Direct Performance" and it shows clearly the area of concern. Mike Harrison once again discusses the concerns regarding the lack of DI but points out that the current engine does get close to DI performance without the cost and complexities of the technology. However, as stated above, the engine was designed for future applications of DI.

I would guess with the new CAFE regulations passing, that we will see this technology on the 5.0 sooner rather than later.:biggrin

Last edited:

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.

Thanks for the link! I guess I could have saved you and me both some time if I had done a search on the internet for that article. Instead I went through all my car magazines, found the right one and then transcribed the quote the old fashioned way!

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I thought I read an article somewhere where a member of the 5.0 development team had stated that eventually the 5.0 would see DI. I can't remember where I read that article though.

Car and Driver and Hot Rod both also mentioned this. Come on ecoboost!!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Car and Driver and Hot Rod both also mentioned this. Come on ecoboost!!!!

I am sure it will happen in a year or two. Ford has to give all you guys a reason to upgrade.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I am sure it will happen in a year or two. Ford has to give all you guys a reason to upgrade.

Build an ecoboost Boss 302 and I will be first in line. :banana:banana:banana

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California

That would be great! I love my ecobost SHO.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston

And I'll be second....I just ask that they leave that stupid "Ecoboost" badge off the car....the only "eco" that's being boosted by the car is the local Detroit economy. ;-)

If you guys remember....the "Ecoboost" V6 was originally referred to in the Lincoln MKR showcar as the "Twin Force" before Ford greenwashed it....

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_new_york/0701_2007_lincoln_mkr_concept/index.html

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
And I'll be second....I just ask that they leave that stupid "Ecoboost" badge off the car....the only "eco" that's being boosted by the car is the local Detroit economy. ;-)

If you guys remember....the "Ecoboost" V6 was originally referred to in the Lincoln MKR showcar as the "Twin Force" before Ford greenwashed it....

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_new_york/0701_2007_lincoln_mkr_concept/index.html

How about HAULASS with some cool 70's graphics to go with the boss stripes.

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI

The term I remember was GTDI (Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection)

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
The term I remember was GTDI (Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection)

That would work. Too bad Cobra Jet is already being used. Boss 302 might just work if this is the only car with the DI TT configuration.