Diff Ratio

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
just asked ricardo if there are any other ratios for the gt,they say they do not make any other ratios and are not planing to :thumbsdow
neil

werewolf

GT Owner
Oct 30, 2005
thanks for the worst news I've heard today :frown

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
I don't see it making that much difference. Six speeds, good ratio spread, lots of HP.

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Bart Carter said:
I don't see it making that much difference. Six speeds, good ratio spread, lots of HP.

makes a big difrence when it is a dedicated endurance race car only,I will have to look into making some once I get a spare gear set
:cheers NEIL

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
centerpunch said:
I'm sure it would make a difference on a race car, but for a street car, we've had a detailed discussion that concluded not much (if any) difference for us semi-normal folks.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345&page=1&pp=10

I totally agree,std is excellent for us semi-nomal folk,but every advantage is good when racing gt3 porshes 800 hp gtr skyline 4wd etc
:cheers NEIL

werewolf

GT Owner
Oct 30, 2005
Bart Carter said:
If I may, this statement would still be true with a rear end ratio of even 2.10 ... but I for one would be a whole lot less happy :frown

The problem is, I only use maybe three out of the six speeds as it is.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I know we have talked about this before, but I forget the outcome. 18" rims can fit on the rear of the car and with a smaller diameter tire( 26") and the new shock lowering kit, it might work.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Shifty

Well....atleast if we could shift more it would be more fun. I don't need to go much over 150 around town. I don't race anyone either. I DON"T HAVE TOO! :rofl

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
For the track (road racing my FFR), I geared 4th for the longest straight I will encounter. (Actually, I had to use 5th at California Speedway, but that is another story.) 1st is used for starting. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are used for the road course. I am almost always in 3rd and 4th. With a lot of HP to weight ratio this works well. 5th or 6th are just cruising gears. Or maybe you want to make some sort of high speed run in 5th. Unless you are in a serious competition where you will change gears for every course, (I know of no GT currently like this) what we have is fine.

The GT really doesn't need that 6th gear. It is there for CAFE standards or bragging rights because so many "exotics" have 6 speeds. But most of those "exotics" do not have the power to weight ratio of the GT.