ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

Between 1998 when I sold my Pontiac-GMC dealership and 2001, when I built my first Chevron Station, I was officially retired (at age 43) and had a lot of time on my hands. So Charley and I spent a month in the Okavango Swamp in Botswana on a Leopard & Cape Buffalo Safari, I traveled coast to coast almost full time working as the airshow demonstration pilot for the Stoddard-Hamilton Aircraft Company AND....because it looked like it was a lot of fun and it was all the rage at the time, I taught pretty young girls the Lindy Hop (Swing Dance from the 20s & 30s). :biggrin I had learned it from Frankie Manning who created it in the Savoy Ballroom in the 1920's and was still teaching at age 80, and from Lacey Mainard. Those days are long gone but today I got a note from FaceBook noting that someone (I don't even remember) had posted a video of me dancing with a girl I taught the Lindy Hop to in a studio back in 1999.

Now, this video is funny today, but if Tom Delay can make a fool of himself on Dancing With the Stars, I can let you have some fun at my expense as well. But back then, I was a very single 43 year old guy and there were about 5 young girls who could Swing dance for every guy. So those of us who could had it made. :lol :thumbsup :cheers It was fun while it lasted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwvtRvTZjeg

Chip

Last edited:

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Damn...I'm tempted to join Facebook just so I can view that....

Thanks for YouTube'ing that Chip....you're a class act in every regard

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
The only thing I saw was some young guy with dark hair dancing with a pretty lady. Where were you Chip? :biggrin

B'smooth

Mar 17, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
Just look for the video on my facebook, couldn't find it. The story will do just as well. Thanks for the post chip.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
A good looking guy who’s got moves on the dance floor? How do I find one of those?! :banana The only thing missing is the swinging and flipping of the girls. Did you do that as well? :biggrin Very cool Chip! :thumbsup

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Great stuff Chip. You were pretty darn fit! Here in the Carolina's we have a dance called the "Shag" (No Neal, not what you think!) which is danced to "Beach Music". All good fun...

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Great stuff Chip. You were pretty darn fit! Here in the Carolina's we have a dance called the "Shag" (No Neal, not what you think!) which is danced to "Beach Music". All good fun...

Had to see what this shag dance is all about. :biggrin Looks like fun! Now I feel like dancing! :banana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdlNYFSaicY&feature=related

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Oh man I am glad you finally got that out of your system...more of a pontiac fiero guy stuff not a GT guy:lol

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Actually, Chip, I think you were excellent!
Younger yes, but I am sure you still have the moves....

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The only thing missing is the swinging and flipping of the girls. Did you do that as well? :biggrin Very cool Chip! :thumbsup

Yes I did, and so did everyone else in the beginning. Aerials are what made the Lindy Hop exciting to watch. Fun to do and fun to practice. But then, a few people got hurt, lawsuits were filed, the clubs banned them, and just about everybody stopped teaching them. Today, even as a fat old man, Veronica and I still do some of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s1oe4zo4gI

Chip

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Yes I did, and so did everyone else in the beginning. Aerials are what made the Lindy Hop exciting to watch. Fun to do and fun to practice. But then, a few people got hurt, lawsuits were filed, the clubs banned them, and just about everybody stopped teaching them. Today, even as a fat old man, Veronica and I still do some of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s1oe4zo4gI

Chip

Now we know how you really hurt your back...:rofl
Chip, you are truly amazing!