Determining the value

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
How will I know if I've gotten a good deal or not? I will be looking at vehicles that have 10K or less mileage, but not ultra low.
For instance, vehicles that are at 10k then its going to be so much, and if its 6k then its this much.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
How will I know if I've gotten a good deal or not? I will be looking at vehicles that have 10K or less mileage, but not ultra low.
For instance, vehicles that are at 10k then its going to be so much, and if its 6k then its this much.
How will you know?

How have you ever known about anything?

What is the car worth to you? Not to anyone else. To you.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
When you look back a year from know it will be a good deal.

If you dont buy now, it will be a bad deal in a year.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
If you're going to drive the car, why limit yourself to 10K? It's not like the car is worn out. YOU will wear out before the car (that's my plan, anyway)

Howard

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
If you're going to drive the car, why limit yourself to 10K? It's not like the car is worn out. YOU will wear out before the car (that's my plan, anyway)

Howard

Exactly!! Buy a collector car and look at it, or buy a car and drive the crap out of it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
I am limited to 10K because more 10K cars have perfect minus rock chips, bodies, after that it gets harder to find a perfect condition vehicle At first, I am hoping to be able to enter car shows and besides, I am rather anal in regards to interior and exterior condition. Start with a perfect car and anything that happens after I can deal with. After a few shows under my belt then I won't be as bothered to have blemishes.

Last edited:

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
If the car had a clear bra on it from new like many of our cars do then rock chips will be minimal. Also the location of the car will also reflect on the amount of rock chips. I drive the worst freeway every workday in the southwest for windshield repair according to insurance records. See my PPI list below. Don't forget that a good PPI by an FGT tech is recommended.

Attachments

• FGT PPI.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
If the car had a clear bra on it from new like many of our cars do then rock chips will be minimal. Also the location of the car will also reflect on the amount of rock chips. I drive the worst freeway every workday in the southwest for windshield repair according to insurance records. See my PPI list below. Don't forget that a good PPI by an FGT tech is recommended.

Gee, thanks for that helpful check list. I was going to get a check list going in the next few weeks, so thats just perfect, mine might not have covered everything I needed to have on a new to me type vehicle.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Many many years ago a friend was looking to buy into new technology. It was the era of the Newton. Wow, it was a great technology. My friend couldn't decide if he wanted one and went on a search. His search went on for months. Almost every day there was an announcement of something that would be bigger, faster, better. He eventually bought a TI watch that sync'd contacts and calendar by flashing a computer screen in morse code.

Bottom line, is don't let "overanalysis paralysis" get you.

Find a car you like. Decide if the price for that car is within your boundaries, and if so, buy it. Two weeks later you might find one that was a better deal. Four weeks later you'll find you stole the one you got.

Good Luck!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
guess how many miles on this garage queen?

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_4556.jpg
    IMG_4556.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 378

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
guess how many miles on this garage queen?

my guess is if yours ~30K? If it was EP's -12

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
Many many years ago a friend was looking to buy into new technology. It was the era of the Newton. Wow, it was a great technology. My friend couldn't decide if he wanted one and went on a search. His search went on for months. Almost every day there was an announcement of something that would be bigger, faster, better. He eventually bought a TI watch that sync'd contacts and calendar by flashing a computer screen in morse code.

Bottom line, is don't let "overanalysis paralysis" get you.

Find a car you like. Decide if the price for that car is within your boundaries, and if so, buy it. Two weeks later you might find one that was a better deal. Four weeks later you'll find you stole the one you got.

Good Luck!

Sound advice. Putting up a car first, before I make the purchase. Did buy a nice FGT poster, that now resides in the garage. Its like buying the buttons for a coat before getting the coat. Sorry if this doesn't sound right but when translating from another language something always gets lost.
Once I make a purchase I hope I'm not still looking at other vehicles for sale.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My point is that these cars are well taken care of.There is no such thing as a driver at this point .They are all collectables.
I have driven GT’s with 85k,60k a few others with over 50k.I drove a pre production car with 60k of totally beat miles on it. It drove extremly well.
You would be hard pressed to see any noticeable difference in a 2k car to a 70k.Clear film and being careful not to ride peoples butt takes care of no road rash
Fluids belts hoses ,rotors pads,and perhaps bushings are all you really ever need to do for maintenance.
Ask Rich and Dennis ( GT Guys LLC) They have seen everything..
Oh ya 42k of smile miles on mine!!
Its a shear joy to drive and take care of!
Best of luck in your search
The only person who got a good deal on a GT was my friend Soroush in 2007 .He bought a high mileage car 80k for a steal.And that was thanks to our good friend Ed Sims! Those days are long gone!!!

Last edited:

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Ron has it right on....just purchase whatever makes sense the day you pull the trigger and never look back...and make sure you drive and enjoy it because you never know what fate has in store for you!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
My point is that these cars are well taken care of.There is no such thing as a driver at this point .They are all collectables.
I have driven GT’s with 85k,60k a few others with over 50k.I drove a pre production car with 60k of totally beat miles on it. It drove extremly well.
You would be hard pressed to see any noticeable difference in a 2k car to a 70k.Clear film and being careful not to ride peoples butt takes care of no road rash
Fluids belts hoses ,rotors pads,and perhaps bushings are all you really ever need to do for maintenance.
Ask Rich and Dennis ( GT Guys LLC) They have seen everything..
Oh ya 42k of smile miles on mine!!
Its a shear joy to drive and take care of!
Best of luck in your search
The only person who got a good deal on a GT was my friend Soroush in 2007 .He bought a high mileage car 80k for a steal.And that was thanks to our good friend Ed Sims! Those days are long gone!!!

I was going to guess 46K, Ron. And of course you are right, if one takes care of the care, one can get all the enjoyment out of it and it will still retain value, if we really care about the value. The only reason I am concerned about the value is to determine if my insurance may go up next year.

Aside from that - why is a car dealer asking where to find cars, and how to determine their value? Hmmmm.....

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake

I am going to add one more item for inspection and that is: Flood damage?

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
The difference between a car with 5000 miles and 10,000 miles is probably 10grand.
Assuming apples to apples.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I bought mine with 34k.
I drove it home 500 miles.
I crawled around the car before I bought and had the whole drive home to scrutinize the driving dynamics and the interior...I actually though I had been frauded as the car still had that new car smell and the exterior and interior were perfect! These cars tend to be extremely well maintained no matter how many miles.
You can always detail/touchup to win car shows...just get one, you will not be disappointed!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Find the car you want and buy it. If you micromanage the purchase price versus "value" which is subjective, you will paralyze yourself. My GT has 23K on it in 10 years and still has the new car leather smell each time I open the doors. Well maintained GTs are killer buys.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I have a white with blue stripes that just came in that has 11k miles. It's a 2006 model with all options. This car is extremely nice and priced under $250k. Let me know if your ready to join the owners circle....