Demographics Revisited

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
While most of your comments to my original question were a bit on the harsh side..... I am still here. I just consider the source :wink

I have been reading about the GT on this forum for a while and here is my take...in a nut shell:

1) The car is drop dead gorgeous. It will be impossible to get out and walk away without turning around to look at the car...the problem will be the getting out part. One day I am certain that we will read about someone who dies of starvation in his GT while parked between two cars in a long term airport parking lot.

2) This is a scary car, because it really doesn't have a warranty. Everyone on this forum is searching for the uber technician with the knowledge to repair their masterpiece. Well, he isn't busting his knuckles at a Ford dealership.... that's for sure. The GT is really for the guy with a little grease under his nails that prefers reading shop manuals as opposed to a good book.

3) Anyone who owns this car and takes it on longer than a day trip, has to have bad teeth.

That said......I plan on writing the check for my new blue Ford GT tomorrow!!

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Rong, You won't be disappointed one bit. Just hang on & enjoy the ride.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
All in good fun Ron! Glad you decided to buy the car in spite of the riff-raff :wink

Have fun, and watch your head! :cheers

Pipelion

Glad you didn't leave us. You're a man of courage. :cheers

About driving the GT:

...............Jeff just got back tonight from a 9 day cruise and logged over 3800 miles on his new GT.

Hope you love it and give us a review.

Allan

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Road Trip #1

In response to statement #3 - my teeth aren't too bad, used a great deal of my dental savings to purchase fuel for R.T.#1. Nearly 3,900 miles in 9 days of driving..My dentist approved. A bit of tooth jarring occurs on semi-worn out concrete freeways, just the normal bounce, bounce, bounce. Truck and studded tire grooves makes the jaw go from side to side. Tires make a pretty loud thunk on wide expansion strips. The expansion strips are much closer together on moutain roads.
My jaw got tired from smiling for the cell phone camera photo op's. I'd guess they average one photo for every 100 miles traveled. In city photo op's are one per every other block. Still a bit amused and amazed with all of this. Beaware of your need to be very vigilante with the drivers that turn their heads as they drive past. Their vehicles go where they look. Be prepared to take evasive action. If it hasn't happened to you yet - It Will.

Get 'er out of the garage and enjoy the ride.

Jeff :banana :cheers :banana

Pipelion

Jeff,

Did you get used to the extra attention?

Allan

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Congrats Rong....I believe we spoke several months ago. You will not be disappointed with your decision. Enjoy.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Rong said:
2) This is a scary car, because it really doesn't have a warranty. Everyone on this forum is searching for the uber technician with the knowledge to repair their masterpiece. Well, he isn't busting his knuckles at a Ford dealership.... that's for sure. The GT is really for the guy with a little grease under his nails that prefers reading shop manuals as opposed to a good book.

Congrats on coming in to the group. I don't think anyone will starve to death in the car because no one parks them by anyone (did you see the parking video?). Now, getting back in may be an issue when another Ford lover parks their Pinto next to your GT ........... :biggrin Check this out, it will give you some piece of mind - the "GT crawl" was demoinstrated to the public on the Gt-Zonda-Ferrari video

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=991&highlight=emergency+door

So far, warranty stuff has not been an issue for me, and it is 3/36 (I am curious to see if Ford will eventually offered an extended warranty plan - does anyone have one yet?). My understanding is that any Ford dealer that sells a GT has to have someone that was trained to work on the car. Makes sense - how can you sell it if you can't fix it. Naturally, some mechanics are better than others which is what I think the guys are running in to more than anything.

Enjoy, and watch for the Gurney.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Not exactly true about "must have" mechanics. The majority of the dealerships selling the GT are SVT dealers and have such personnel; however, some dealerships got their cars in a lottery or for sales numbers. These places do not usually have GT trained mechanics. You need to check at the dealership to assure there is a GT trained technician available.

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
Congrats Rong!!! Glad you stayed around!!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
welcome, enjoy the ride :wink

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Welcome again - just don't ask how old I am! (44). :biggrin

You're absolutely right about parking it and turning around - it's impossible not to.

I have already been 'locked out' of my GT at a gas (petrol) station - some old boy parked next to me while I was paying for my gas. I had to wait for him to fill his 320 year old VW, go to the till, talk about the weather, select some mints, find his money, buy some more mints, get in his car, adjust the mirrors, open the mints, choose a mint, put a key IN HIS FRIGGIN' IGNITION, put his seat belt on, put the car into first, handbrake off and GO!!! All of the time, I'm just stood by the nose of my GT waiting while this little drama unfolded.

I overtook him 200 yards down the road.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Rong is right this time !

Ciao Rong ,

and welcome to our little community here ! I see you shaved and dressed up for the occasion this time, very nice !

You of course are very right about the warranty issue, well detected. While the car is drop dead gorgeous and addictive, once you do small mods that really make it be the beast it was designed to be and very able to handle the extra thump, at the price (sticker) that it sells for, it would be too much of a bargain over anything else around. (You have noticed, I am basically from Italy). The car is worth 100k$ more than it is priced, trust me. So Ford sort of cut short on liabilities, by avoiding major problems with guarantee items, this way. That is entirely my theory, and hence not worht much, as I am a quite practical guy.
Get the car, love the car, take the little glitches that might (or not, like in my case) happe, for what they are. Little glitches. But then there is this wonderful community, you are getting part of., ferrari doesn't have this in the gloves compartment. The F-forum just plain sucks, and the ownerssite is soo undermanaged and third worldish (I told the management at ferrari already) that is is simply a disgrace for the Ferrari brand and company.. they should hire our Dave here for a relaunch, if they want to get out of the online swamp... :lol :lol

Big fun ! See ya around !

cheers again :cheers

stefan

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
So.....Rong....uh....how much ya make? :lol

Welcome and I look foward to the witt dripping from your posts.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
addressing Neil's comment about the VW at the fuel pump./...

the word for the day: passive aggressive :frown
One of the networks did a study, how long it takes someone to leave a parking spot when another car is waiting and not. needless to say, it ALWAYS took MUCH longer when someone was waiting :frown guess there is no shortages of a-holes in the mother country or here in the colonies :bored

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SLF360 said:
Ciao Rong ,

and welcome to our little community here ! I see you shaved and dressed up for the occasion this time, very nice !

You of course are very right about the warranty issue, well detected. While the car is drop dead gorgeous and addictive, once you do small mods that really make it be the beast it was designed to be and very able to handle the extra thump, at the price (sticker) that it sells for, it would be too much of a bargain over anything else around. (You have noticed, I am basically from Italy). The car is worth 100k$ more than it is priced, trust me. So Ford sort of cut short on liabilities, by avoiding major problems with guarantee items, this way. That is entirely my theory, and hence not worht much, as I am a quite practical guy.
Get the car, love the car, take the little glitches that might (or not, like in my case) happe, for what they are. Little glitches. But then there is this wonderful community, you are getting part of., ferrari doesn't have this in the gloves compartment. The F-forum just plain sucks, and the ownerssite is soo undermanaged and third worldish (I told the management at ferrari already) that is is simply a disgrace for the Ferrari brand and company.. they should hire our Dave here for a relaunch, if they want to get out of the online swamp... :lol :lol

Big fun ! See ya around !

cheers again :cheers

stefan

Stefan, again you are spot on, sofar this site has been a great place to hang out in, I lurk at FerrariChat, but see no point in posting, some great tech stuff over there but way to many cat fights. :wink