Delivery after a 3 year wait - Mystichrome GT

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Awesome! Back in the day, a friend had a Mystichrome Cobra and told me that Ford could not use the paint anymore as it conflicted with the ink the US Treasury was using on the new twenty. I guess that was a story and not the truth. That color is amazing to look at from different angles.

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
Awesome. I was wondering if someone would do this. I remember the 96 Cobras had more green tones to them and the 04 Cobras had more purple/blue. Both are absolutely stunning in person. She's a beaut.

Reactions: Special K

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Congrats and enjoy! Looking forward to meeting you in person! Also in Southern California.

JChoice

GT Owner
May 11, 2019
Awesome! Back in the day, a friend had a Mystichrome Cobra and told me that Ford could not use the paint anymore as it conflicted with the ink the US Treasury was using on the new twenty. I guess that was a story and not the truth. That color is amazing to look at from different angles.

From what I've read, apparently the reflective parts of the 1996 paint called Mystic, could actually be used to help counterfeit the $100 bill. So there were a lot of restrictions on how Ford could handle the paint. Because of the pain in the butt factor, they decided to make a different version for the 2004. The 2004 version was made for Ford and didn't have the restrictions that they had around the 1996 paint- they also had 8 more years of development in improving the reflective properties of the paint. The 2004 paint seems to be more vibrant with less green, more teal, and less black and more vibrant blue. At least to my eyes- in any case, the 2004 was a much preferred version for me. They changed the name to Mystichrome in 2004 after the color chrome headers change to when they get hot. Allan Eggly at Ford named the paint and he coincidentally now runs finishes for Multimattic. A lot of people at the Ford GT program are familiar with the paint and they were excited when I made the request.

So it seems the main driver was the counterfeit aspect but not cause they couldn't do it but because of the restrictions around it.

It took 2+ months to approve the paint and it certainly wasn't straight forward. The head of the program told me he kept the paint sample on this desk- and personally texted me updates on along the way and told me about the internal excitement for it. It made the entire process super special.

Looking forward to meeting more of you. I'll be in Monterey for part of Car Week with the car.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Again, very, very cool. It probably goes without saying but I would assume you "color locked" it?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
JChoice - there are 4 of us from this Forum with our NGTs at the Quail show during Monterey Auto Week. Are you entered in the Quail? If not we can meet up. Mark McGowan & Shmee will be there also.

Ed

Last edited:
Reactions: LOVE CHP

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Again, very, very cool. It probably goes without saying but I would assume you "color locked" it?

C'mon Doc, why give the man silly ideas?

Remember, it's easier to ask forgiveness...

Reactions: Ed Sims and GTMD

JChoice

GT Owner
May 11, 2019

Thank you. Yes, locked.

JChoice - there are 4 of us from this Forum with our NGTs at the Quail show during Monterey Auto Week. Are you entered in the Quail? If not we can meet up. Mark McGowan & Schmee will be there also.

Hey Ed. I won't be at Quail but will be displaying at Exotics on Broadway on Sat afternoon. Meeting up would be great- figuring out my schedule still but currently free Fri early evening and Sat/Sun before noon at the moment. I'll message you.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Congratulations. That's a very difficult car to correctly paint in that color. It looks like they got all the transitions from panel to panel right. Very cool.

Reactions: Blue Moose

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
From what I've read, apparently the reflective parts of the 1996 paint called Mystic, could actually be used to help counterfeit the $100 bill. So there were a lot of restrictions on how Ford could handle the paint. Because of the pain in the butt factor, they decided to make a different version for the 2004. The 2004 version was made for Ford and didn't have the restrictions that they had around the 1996 paint- they also had 8 more years of development in improving the reflective properties of the paint. The 2004 paint seems to be more vibrant with less green, more teal, and less black and more vibrant blue. At least to my eyes- in any case, the 2004 was a much preferred version for me. They changed the name to Mystichrome in 2004 after the color chrome headers change to when they get hot. Allan Eggly at Ford named the paint and he coincidentally now runs finishes for Multimattic. A lot of people at the Ford GT program are familiar with the paint and they were excited when I made the request.

So it seems the main driver was the counterfeit aspect but not cause they couldn't do it but because of the restrictions around it.

It took 2+ months to approve the paint and it certainly wasn't straight forward. The head of the program told me he kept the paint sample on this desk- and personally texted me updates on along the way and told me about the internal excitement for it. It made the entire process super special.

Looking forward to meeting more of you. I'll be in Monterey for part of Car Week with the car.
Awesome! Looking forward to meeting u at car week!!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Awesome! Looking forward to meeting u at car week!!
Are you going to be in Monterey Special K?

Ed

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Are you going to be in Monterey Special K?

Ed
Yes sir, I’m making my debut along with my wife. I’m also looking for 1 quail ticket if you know of any.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Nice choice on the CGT also! I have a yellow CGT. Iconic car also!

Reactions: JChoice

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Yes sir, I’m making my debut along with my wife. I’m also looking for 1 quail ticket if you know of any.
Since its a lottery they are all gone but a friend just bought some for almost face value on eBay. I just looked & there a few on eBay. StubHub has them also. It'll be good to see you there. If you need recommendations on where to eat or go let me know.

Ed

PS I think a few weeks ago there was a post somewhere here on the Forum of someone selling their Quail tickets.

PPS Sorry for the hijack JChoice.

Rickmustang

Feb 19, 2019
Austin, Texas
A friend has a ‘96 Mystic Cobra. His wife wrecked it and in order to get paint, Ford had to inspect the car. Then the day the shop painted, Ford brought the paint and took the unused paint back. The shop was in the middle of nowhere, 5 miles down a dirt road, outside Comfort Texas. Crazy. Beautiful Ford GT. Now my favorite color on one.

jabarger1

Jan 8, 2013
Finally got mine... there's a bit of a story in getting the color approved and there was excitement/engagement at Ford Performance and Multimatic about it which made the entire process really special.

Had the privilege of Ford Performance posting it on their social and FB page:

Here's my post:
http://instagr.am/p/B0jVpKZhc53/
-JC
That is my favorite color of any I’ve seen so far. I would have never thought of that color but it is purely stunning and the white stripes just set it off all the way. Brilliant!

FikseGTS

GT Owner
Apr 15, 2007
South Florida
congrats! awesome spec!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
sweet !