Dealer Recommendation in Los Angeles?

EmilGH

Mar 28, 2006
90291 & 10023
Any LA based Ford GT owners out there?

I'm new to the board and thinking of picking up a Ford GT. I've been watching prices and eBay auctions for a while and I think that I'll pull the trigger in the next 60 days.

Finding cars seems to be easy-ish (I'm flexible on options and color), but the question I have is service and support.

I've never owned a 'merican car and I'm a bit nervous. I've no relationship with any Ford dealer anywhere and I'd like to fix that. So, I'm looking for recommendations.

- Any owners in LA?

- Where do you get your work done?

- Any recommendations for dealers? Service writers? Techs?

- Anything else you guys think I should know here in SoCal?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
EmilGH,

I ordered my car recently through a dealer in another state. As the car is being built and shipped, my selling dealer can specify a delivery dealer. Although I may need to pay a modest PDI fee, it will be substantially less than a normal transportation fee. On the recommendation of an owner on this board, I called Neil Okun, owner of Beverly Hills Ford. I was very impressed. He was very receptive to accepting the car and even inquired about collecting the sales tax and registration "stuff" here. Seemed like a very GT-friendly guy who genuinely wanted to help. Others have been complimentary of their services experience with this dealership.

He said he has delivered 6 GT's so he might even be a good source to help you find one locally.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't forget California guys, if you buy "in state," isn't there less of a hassle about smog checks? Keep that in mind. Look back on some of the older threads about this.

EmilGH

Mar 28, 2006
90291 & 10023
nota4re said:
...I called Neil Okun, owner of Beverly Hills Ford...

Excellent. That's great advice. Thanks.

I always seem to be down the street at O'Gara (Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Aston Martin, etc.) I think I'll stop in and say, "Hi" next time I'm over there. Working with them would be unbelievably convenient!

Have you had to service anything with them yet?

EmilGH

Mar 28, 2006
90291 & 10023
fjpikul said:
Don't forget California guys, if you buy "in state," isn't there less of a hassle about smog checks?

Also good advice. I found this thread:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558

I'll get some details about the smogging with out of state cars.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I read the "other" thread re: smogging an out of state car in California. Definitely weird. I have some buddies who have bought new cars out of state (one was a Gallardo and the other was a Z06) and neither of them had to smog the cars to register them here. (These were both within the last 18 months.)

I think the key is that the car is new, never registered vehicle. Obviously others have had other experiences where a smog check was required.

There is a BIG (IMHO) bummer about this that has been overlooked. With a "normal" new car purchase, you have 6 years before your first smog test. If you plan to run an aggressive exhaust, cat-less, or other performance mods, you can be "unbothered" for 6 years. But, if you smog the car on initial entry to CA, then I'd be pretty sure you've started the every other year clock. Yuck.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Midway Ford

EmilGH said:
Any LA based Ford GT owners out there?

I'm new to the board and thinking of picking up a Ford GT. I've been watching prices and eBay auctions for a while and I think that I'll pull the trigger in the next 60 days.

Finding cars seems to be easy-ish (I'm flexible on options and color), but the question I have is service and support.

I've never owned a 'merican car and I'm a bit nervous. I've no relationship with any Ford dealer anywhere and I'd like to fix that. So, I'm looking for recommendations.

- Any owners in LA?

- Where do you get your work done?

- Any recommendations for dealers? Service writers? Techs?

- Anything else you guys think I should know here in SoCal?
I bought mine from Midway Ford in LA. They were great to deal with when I purchased mine back in November.

Call me if you prefer: Jay (949) 366-1211

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Take a look a www.dmv.ca.gov somewhere there the fine print says that any car bought out of state needs to get smog. I had to and my car was never titled. Some people are lucky and the dmv employees don't enforce it.

BlackICE

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Bottom right corner of this document pretty much spells it out in black and white. So, I guess the question is how to find a DMV person who would register it as if it was an "original" California car.....

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
BlackICE said:
Take a look a www.dmv.ca.gov somewhere there the fine print says that any car bought out of state needs to get smog. I had to and my car was never titled. Some people are lucky and the dmv employees don't enforce it.

BlackICE
call me Mr. Lucky :banana